Off season trivia quiz

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,542
    Armstrong still has a couple of second places in LBL
  • And Hincapie had a second at Roubaix in 2005.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    New question, still no Google

American winner(s) of monuments
    Tyler Hamilton, L-B-L is one.

It's the only one, isn't it?

Yup. I'm surprised there hasn't been more
  • What links Stefan Schumacher, Allan Davis, Anthony Geslin and Andre Greipel?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,544
    Am I allowed to ask one even though there's one unanswered?

If so - what passed from Paul Sherwen to Sean Yates and who did it pass through?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    What links Stefan Schumacher, Allan Davis, Anthony Geslin and Andre Greipel?
    Can we have a clue?
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    3rd at World RR
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    Can we have a clue?

Alejandro Valverde's done the same thing 3 times
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Crampeur wrote:
    ./quote]
  • Crampeur wrote:
    3rd at World RR

Bosh, even without the clue
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    What passed from Paul Sherwen to Sean Yates and who did it pass through?

Any takers?

Too easy?
    Too hard?
  • Malcolm Elliott?

He's usually the answer in this era in Britain ;)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The British RR title?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Any takers?

Too easy?
    Too hard?
    My two guesses are either the British Champion's jersey or the foreigners spot in the ACBB team. Either way I'd guess at Robert Millar.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:

Any takers?

Too easy?
    Too hard?
    My two guesses are either the British Champion's jersey or the foreigners spot in the ACBB team. Either way I'd guess at Robert Millar.

Your second is correct, though I really wanted all the steps between Sherwen and Yates :-)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Malcolm Elliott?

He's usually the answer in this era in Britain ;)

Not this time :-)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Any takers?

Too easy?
    Too hard?

Your second is correct, though I really wanted all the steps between Sherwen and Yates :-)
    Millar, Roche, Graham Jones (maybe too early), Kimmage perhaps, did Martin Earley go there? Basically every British/Irish pro of the time except Kelly & Elliott. Phil Anderson too perhaps.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Without googling, who was the heaviest and who was the lightest rider ever to complete the Tour?
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Heaviest would have to be Backstedt or Poli. Lightest - has Rujano completed a TdF?
  • TheBigBean
    Without googling, who was the heaviest and who was the lightest rider ever to complete the Tour?

That's got to be an impossible question. How do we know whether a big fat guy finished in1910? Also, how much did Luis Herrera weigh? It's hard enough to find out the modern day rider's weight let alone those in the past.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Heaviest: Guido Bontempi?
    Lightest: Charly Gaul?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Piepoli was tiny as well. I've got a feeling the lightweights are probably more contemporary. The heavyweights, no idea, there could be some nameless domestique giants back in the day. Still, I'd say Backstedt for heaviest too
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    Piepoli was tiny as well. I've got a feeling the lightweights are probably more contemporary. The heavyweights, no idea, there could be some nameless domestique giants back in the day. Still, I'd say Backstedt for heaviest too

Yup. Backstedt and Piepolli.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Who's this and why is he wearing world champ stripes?
    AmyWalkerStevic_NewKit-vi.jpg
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Wow. How heavy were they?
    Bit disappointed, was hoping for some historical freaks :)
  • TheBigBean
    Do you have any evidence to back that up? Wikipedia has Piepolli at 54kg and Rujano at 48kg which is a sizeable difference. Rujano has never finished the tour, but it implies there is plenty of scope for lighter riders in the past 100years. Ditto Backstedt.
  • rick_chasey
    Piepolli was 52kg (started at 54kg). Backstedt 92kg.

All the lighter chaps haven't finished ( which doesn't bode well for me since I'm 171 and 55kg).

My source was sporza commentary and my memory.
  • TheBigBean
    In 1987, on stage 21 (of 25!) Roche collapsed at the top of La Plagne, 4 seconds behind Delgado in one of the most repeated bits of cycling on TV. Who won the stage and who was second?
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    In 1987, on stage 21 (of 25!) Roche collapsed at the top of La Plagne, 4 seconds behind Delgado in one of the most repeated bits of cycling on TV. Who won the stage and who was second?
    Fignon won. The second was a Spaniard - a BH rider I think - Pino? Fuente? There's a photo of the finish that is one of those ones that's always stuck with me - Fignon with a huge celebration while the other guy pounds his handlebars.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Any takers?

Too easy?
    Too hard?

Millar, Roche, Graham Jones (maybe too early), Kimmage perhaps, did Martin Earley go there? Basically every British/Irish pro of the time except Kelly & Elliott. Phil Anderson too perhaps.

They actually had more than one foreign rider some seasons, but after Sherwen recommended Jones they had a tradition that the departing British Isles Anglo recommended their next one. Jones picked Millar, who picked Roche, who picked Yates. Kimmage was later, not sure about Early. Anderson rode for them, alongside Millar I think.