Off season trivia quiz

takethehighroad
takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
edited January 2014 in Pro race
Walking home from work today my mind got to wandering.

What links Nick Nuyens, Stuart O'Grady, Stijn Devolder, Johan Van Summeren and Alessandro Ballan?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They've all won a cobbled monument. But I suspect that's not what you're after.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Cobblers?

edit - beaten to it.
  • Not quite. Specifically those riders, but not Magnus Backstedt and Stef Wesseman, for example
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Only riders apart from Boonen and Cancellara to win Paris Roubaix or Tour of Flanders since 2005?
  • Bosh. I was thinking since Boonen and Cancellara started winning them, only 5 of those 18 races were won by anyone else.

Shows a level of domination.

So, who's got another one?
  • RichN95.
    Ok. Who is the only current rider to have won a stage and worn the the leader's jersey in all three Grand Tours?

(Hint: It's not Contador as he was stripped of his Giro stage wins)
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ok. Who is the only current rider to have won a stage and worn the the leader's jersey in all three Grand Tours?

Has David Millar managed this?
  • RichN95.
    gpreeves wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You could have at least had a couple of wrong guesses first.
  • gpreeves
    RichN95 wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

:D

I promise to get the answer to any other question wrong.
  • gpreeves
    Next question then.

Discounting Froome (2012-2013) and Ullrich 9196-1997), who was the last rider to finish 2nd in the Tour one year and win it the next (including the years)?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Wonder if things fall into place at the Giro (stage in to Belfast is pan flat) and the Tour, will Cavendish be tempted to at least start the Vuelta and go for a hat trick of stage wins/leaders jerseys in a calendar year. Has that been done before?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    gpreeves wrote:
    Next question then.

Discounting Froome (2012-2013) and Ullrich 9196-1997), who was the last rider to finish 2nd in the Tour one year and win it the next (including the years)?

A Schleck - 2009 / 2010 (However I think you may have been thinking about Delgardo in the 80's)
  • gpreeves
    mr_poll wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:
    Next question then.

A Schleck - 2009 / 2010 (However I think you may have been thinking about Delgardo in the 80's)

Correct on both counts.

As much as I like Schleck, I always forget that 2010 is his now. I'm still crossing my fingers that he'll manage another.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What specifically is special about this slightly odd cheesy trumpet tune?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BRUEV77Iqc

Clue: it gets the heart racing for any Dutch cycling fan the second they hear it.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

Clue: it gets the heart racing for any Dutch cycling fan the second they hear it.
    Ha, wonder whether anyone gets it. Wont say, yet
  • RichN95.

I'm guessing it's the theme tune to that Tour de France programme that you're always banging on about.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm guessing it's the theme tune to that Tour de France programme that you're always banging on about.

Unforutnately not. That's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2_gPkOdwDA

(though strictly speaking that's the end tune, since they play a different song at the beginning of each episode).
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Dutch National Anthem?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    If it is the Dutch anthem, is it about fighting the English? Just asking because these things often are (well, at least 2 I can think of).
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    It's nothing to do with Rodania, is it ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhUGe89KEeg
  • RichN95.
    andy_wrx wrote:
    It's nothing to do with Rodania, is it ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhUGe89KEeg
    The biggest mystery in all of cycling is how the driver of that car is not driven completely insane. Six hours of that would be seen as a bit over the top in Guantanemo Bay.
  • rick_chasey
    Nah.

I'll give the answer at 2pm
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Nah.

I'll give the answer at 2pm
    Is it the theme tune to a Dutch tdf radio programme?
  • I've definitely heard this trumpet tune - playing sort of underneath Dutch radio commentary (at Het Volk), I reckon.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Marianne Vos' personal wake up call?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Being played by Jurgen Van Den Broeck's dad?
  • rick_chasey
    I've definitely heard this trumpet tune - playing sort of underneath Dutch radio commentary (at Het Volk), I reckon.

Very close.

They play this song in the last kilometres (possibly just the last km) on Dutch "radio tour" coverage which is where Dutch radio one turns into radio Tour de France for the race, playing French classics interspersed with race commentary / updates.

They often jump quickly between the chap on the Moto following and the commentator when this is on. Always exciting.
  • FJS
    And the Dutch national anthem is about fighting the Spanish :)

New one. What links Eduardo Chozas, Alberto Contador, Carlos Sastre and John-Lee Augustyn (and I'm sure a few others)?
  • FJS wrote:

New one. What links Eduardo Chozas, Alberto Contador, Carlos Sastre and John-Lee Augustyn (and I'm sure a few others)?

Titanium plate action?
  • FJS
    FJS wrote:

Titanium plate action?
    Got it. I think :roll: