The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    You're doing a cracking job of pretending you're not bothered :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I know when he's bothered, he doesn't make any Pulis comparisons. Anyway as it's Christmas time lets put aside the fact that Chelsea are champions elect :wink: for today.

This made me smile. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0FqeTerEPwE
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    You're doing a cracking job of pretending you're not bothered :wink:

Trust me, I'm not.
    Most City fans would much rather win the PL and see the CL for what it is - a bent, old boys club where teams I like Manyoo and the @rse will always be well looked after! Teams like City and Chelsea, to a degree, will always have life made difficult for them with the 'draw' :roll:, and dodgy referees and so on!

The CL for City is more of a priority for the owners from a commercial point of view.

And, I can honestly say, I'd rather not win it than win it the way Chelsea did :cry:

Anyway, back on topic. Let's hope big fat Sam can get Jose foaming at the mouth like he did last year :wink:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Stevo_666
    Not a Tony Pulis comparison in sight :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not a Tony Pulis comparison in sight :wink:

I'm not allowed to for legal reasons. Tony's lawyers have said that if I say Chelsea play like a Pulis team again they will sue me for slander :mrgreen:
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Most City fans would much rather win the PL and see the CL for what it is - a bent, old boys club where teams I like Manyoo and the @rse will always be well looked after! Teams like City and Chelsea, to a degree, will always have life made difficult for them with the 'draw' :roll:, and dodgy referees and so on!

What a load of Tosh, you can tell your lot are JCL's to the champion league, This season aside I cant recall Arsenal having an easy draw in any of the 16 seasons of the CL. Of course you have to win your group, that usually helps.

As for Referees you might want to check who the first player ever sent off in a Champions league final was?
    Fair enough Drogba wasn't long behind. But I cant ever recall a city player being sent off in a CL final :lol:
  • city_boy
    tim wand wrote:

What a load of Tosh, you can tell your lot are JCL's to the champion league, This season aside I cant recall Arsenal having an easy draw in any of the 16 seasons of the CL. Of course you have to win your group, that usually helps.

As for Referees you might want to check who the first player ever sent off in a Champions league final was?
    Fair enough Drogba wasn't long behind. But I cant ever recall a city player being sent off in a CL final :lol:

Given that for the last 9 years the Gunners have only scraped into the CL in either 3rd or 4th position in the PL, I would say that looking at the standard teams they have faced in the group stages, it has pretty much ensured an easy passage to the last 16. The seeding system has always favoured teams like Utd and the gunners in the past. It will be interesting to see how they fare from next year when domestic champions will be in the same pot. That's assuming you scrape through again this season :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2014
    Is that a 6 point gap I see? No pressure on the light blue wannabes :wink:
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Is that a 6 point gap I see? No pressure on the wannabes :wink:

Wannabe what?
    Champions??
    Oh, hang on a minute!! :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Wannabe what?
    Champions??
    You're so last season :wink:
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Wannabe what?
    Champions??
    You're so last season :wink:

Which means we're the current champions...that's how it works!

So, remind me again, who are the wannabes?? :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    The team 6 point behind Chelsea of course. And don't get me started on the CL :wink:
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The team 6 point behind Chelsea of course. And don't get me started on the CL :wink:

3 :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

3 :wink:
    Enjoy your run of easy fixtures while it lasts. January won't be quite the same :wink:
  • tim_wand
    Given that for the last 9 years the Gunners have only scraped into the CL in either 3rd or 4th position in the PL, I would say that looking at the standard teams they have faced in the group stages, it has pretty much ensured an easy passage to the last 16. The seeding system has always favoured teams like Utd and the gunners in the past. It will be interesting to see how they fare from next year when domestic champions will be in the same pot. That's assuming you scrape through again this season :wink:

Considering group draw seedings were based on your coefficient performance in previous CL competitions and Arsenal are the only premiership team to have been in the last 16 competitions, this system was always going to favour us. Like I say JCL's new to the competition have no history to be seeded on!

I am sure once you have qualified a bit more and got bored of buying the premiership, you ll feel differently, funny how now clubs like P.S.G and City are (buying) sorry winning their domestic leagues , this competition coefficient will be removed. Maybe your right there is some competition bias, but having only been around in the competition for 3 seasons its hard to apply to your club.

I have honestly always felt that to call it a Champions league when clubs finishing 4th and occasionally 5th in their domestic leagues, qualify is a joke. Should be top two from all European leagues and the remainder down to 5 into UEFA cup as a sudden death with no groups. But hey were would the money be in that?
  • Stevo_666
    Overall I agree with you Tim, although if we've got anything to with it, could be quite a while before City get bored with buying the PL :)
  • city_boy
    I think continued use of terms like "JCL" just typifies the arrogant and entitled attitude of fans of teams like MU and the @rse towards any team to come in and challenge their cosy club:wink:

City have been in the competition for 4 years. So with that lack of experience and the fact that we have been grouped with any of Bayern, RM or Barca, the 3 best teams in the world each time, I am not particularly concerned or disappointed with our CL results so far.

Alex Ferguson only won it twice in 27 years as MU manager. In 16 attempts with predominantly p1ss easy groups @rsenal haven't won it once. Even Chelsea, after years of trying had to resort to some of the most negative football (I use the term in its broadest sense :wink: ) ever seen in the competition to fluke it one. I think even the Russian tramp was that embarrassed he still sacked the manager that won it for him not long after :twisted:
  • tim_wand
    I think continued use of terms like "JCL" just typifies the arrogant and entitled attitude of fans of teams like MU and the @rse towards any team to come in and challenge their cosy club:wink:

The use of the Terms Johnny Come Lately, actually describes your resent (3) year history of Champions league football and is in no way meant to imply your not entitled to be there!! After all I m sure your money is just as good as anyone elses.

But for you to imply that your not bothered about the champions league and would much rather win the EPL again does seem a little bit trite to me. Any great sportsman/ team seeks the one thing that is missing from their palmares, and in Arsenal's case that is and remains the Champions League.

In the same way that dour face jock Murray could have been world No 1 ranked player in the world , before a grand slam win, he still wanted Wimbledon and probably a US Masters more.

The fact that you bemoan your group stage adversaries as tough and "even maybe rigged" belies your history in the competiton, Arsenal have played, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real Madrid. plus at the time Potent Inters and AC's in group stages.

City are the one team that on their day could beat any one, In a head to head two leg game, If you don't then its not because you are up against better resourced competition, its because you lack heart and spirit. or maybe someone has forgotten Ya Ya's Birthday cake.
  • Stevo_666
    What's the problem having to play Barca or Bayern? We beat both of them a couple of years ago :mrgreen:
  • city_boy
    @timwand
    The reason I am even talking about CL is because for some bizarre reason Stevo continues to bring it up and, even more bizarrely believes that you can only be considered a big team once you've won the CL :roll:
    You're right that our CL involvement is comparatively recent as is our coming to prominence with regards to any degree of success following the takeover.

The CL is incredibly difficult to win and many teams with many more years experience and involvement have still not won it or have only one or two successes out of lots of attempts. Whilst I would like to see, and am sure I will, success in the CL at some point, at the moment I, along with many City fans would prefer to see our establishment as a consistently successful side domestically. Starting with a successful defence of the PL.

Having sat through some utter garbage at Maine Rd and plumbed the depths of the old 3rd division not that long ago, I am just enjoying the ride and am fully aware that football goes in cycles and nothing lasts forever.

As well as "JCL", comments like 'buying the title' and 'lacking heart and spirit' just come across as a little bit bitter and provocative. According to many Gooners, the reason they have not won anything of note in recent years is because of lack of investment and there appears to be a clamour for them to buy top class (ie. expensive) players to enable them to compete again. And is it a lack of heart and spirit that has seen them fail in 16 attempts in the CL or fold like a pack of cards last season (and many a season before that) despite being top for so much of the season?
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    @timwand
    The reason I am even talking about CL is because for some bizarre reason Stevo continues to bring it up and, even more bizarrely believes that you can only be considered a big team once you've won the CL :roll:
    You're right that our CL involvement is comparatively recent as is our coming to prominence with regards to any degree of success following the takeover.
    Well you would say that if you've never won it :roll:

Plus we all know it winds you up :wink:
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Plus we all know it winds you up :wink:

Is that right? :wink:

Anyway, I think you need to up your game in the caption comp. You're latest efforts are sh1te. Your competing with a comment including the phrase "tool-up" :lol: so you need to come up with something better than you have so far :D
  • tim_wand
    A lot of what is said is obviously tongue in cheek!! Arsenal where the original " Buy Success Team" for Christ sakes we even bought our way into the original professional league at the expense of our Lily White neighbours.

I Have no issue and neither should any supporter of the Arse with City or Chelsea. I would however love to win the Champions League more so than any other honour, as its the one that is missing from my experiences with my club.

I have some appreciation of my club being self sustaining and having been able to move from Highbury to the Emirates and be free of stadium debt in less than a decade. But now really is the time to kick on, but Wenger seems tied to a philosophy which sees us unable to compete with the likes of City and Chelsea, and certainly Bayern, Real or Barcelona. I don't know if this is the man himself trying to prove a point or the determination of a board who run the club as a business model rather than a win at any cost team. Its just very galling when are consistently the team with the highest ticket prices.

As for Stevo pointing to the fact that you cant consider yourself a great team until you ve won the CL, He's bound to pick that as its the one thing you cant match at the moment , and that's why I am surprised it does not bother you. Admittedly at the inception of the CL you were a third tier team, You ve come an unbelievable way, but surely you should recognise even in this cyclical world of football. now is your time and the Zenith is a CL title.

The one thing I would say, is I much prefer Citys brand of football to Chelsea's any day, when you click its pure class and that's the style of football I love.

Sometimes I think City don't believe in their own potential because of the history of the likes of Barca, Real or Bayern and the lack of their own, and whilst fans believe that the club cant impose itself on the CL for whatever reason then that will remain the case.

We've adopted the maxim at Arsenal, that we are self sustaining, we don't throw silly money at having or even retaining the best of the best, so to finish 4th and play to the Quarter Finals of the CL if we are lucky is enough,

We know deep down its not, and it shouldn't be its just excuses for our deficiencies and lack of drive, that's why players like Henry, Van Persie and Fabregas left, winners don't have that mentality and City should not start to adopt it , even if their excuses are different to the ones we use.

Again as for Stevo, we just like talking so much CL on this thread because it annoys the feck outta Pina who will be along at some point to remind us this is the EPL not the CL thread :D
  • Stevo_666
    @Tim - spot on with the last paragraph especially. Two birds with one stone :P

I'd better ease off for a bit, it looks like my Boxing Day fishing trip has been more successful than I expected :wink:
  • city_boy
    tim wand wrote:
    that's why I am surprised it does not bother you.

Because, in the last 4 or 5 years we have been the most successful club domestically with an FA cup, League Cup, 2 titles. Prior to the takeover this would have been beyond our wildest dreams, so I think anyone who would not be more than satisfied with that is either a tw@t or a MU fan (same thing really) :wink:

The fact that we haven't won the CL inside 4 years, in the great scheme of things, isn't something I feel I should be concerned or disappointed about and the fact that a mockney glory hunter :wink: feels the need the need to take the p1ss doesn't cause me too many sleepless nights.

Anyway, I think that's enough reasoned argument for now and time to get back to some 'banta' as my 13 yr old son calls it :mrgreen:
  • tim_wand
    Anyway, I think that's enough reasoned argument for now and time to get back to some 'banta' as my 13 yr old son calls it :mrgreen:

Now the penny drops, I m glad your boy is only 13, can you Imagine how hard it was for my Old man to convince me in my teens (early 80's) to keep going to highbury. Scary thought as one of my brothers supports Liverpool :!: Most kids/ Teens I see around here have Manure shirts on and have never been to a game.

I ll lay good money on you beating Barca over two legs.

P.s Stevo do you think Pina's got snowed in or is he too busy looking at T47's holiday snaps?
  • Stevo_666
    He's around for sure, just avoiding this thread as usual until he"s seen MOTD - he doesn't know any of the results yet...
  • tim_wand
    Bloody hell after last weeks late surprise he's going to shite the last 11 (+4) Minutes of our game!!!!
  • Stevo_666
    tim wand wrote:
    Bloody hell after last weeks late surprise he's going to shite the last 11 (+4) Minutes of our game!!!!
    Yep. Don't go spoiling it for him now :)
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    No draws, 4 away wins, crazy. :lol: