The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Quiet here - I thought the Liverpool fans would be on here celebrating their 3-2 tonking of QPR :)

not sure what I was supposed to celebrate tbh, I was taught if you have nothing nice to say they stay quiet and sit in the corner with a book
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Quiet here - I thought the Liverpool fans would be on here celebrating their 3-2 tonking of QPR :)

not sure what I was supposed to celebrate tbh, I was taught if you have nothing nice to say they stay quiet and sit in the corner with a book
    Good idea, though you might be there for a long time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Anyway, we all need to set aside our differences for a day or so and unite behind our small, unfashionable club of the week - West Brom :D

Good point! Although I'll find myself in the rather uncomfortable and morally compromising position of supporting Manyoo next weekend :wink:
    Well done West Brom - just enough to knock Manure's confidence for the weekend :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    Well done Man U, despite being a little club trying to avoid relegation - you still managed get a draw at West Brom.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Well done Man U, despite being a little club trying to avoid relegation - you still managed get a draw at West Brom.
    Yep, though I think van Gaal is going to crapping his pants about this Sunday.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Weren't you being sarcy with the tonking Stevo? We were very lucky to come away with a win.. :roll: We're playing terribly this season. :( I'm doubtfull of finishing top four but whats the point in making champions if youre just gunna get knocked out early. Cry
  • Stevo_666
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Weren't you being sarcy with the tonking Stevo? We were very lucky to come away with a win.. :roll: We're playing terribly this season. :( I'm doubtfull of finishing top four but whats the point in making champions if youre just gunna get knocked out early. Cry
    Yep, I was trying to be sarcy. Balotelli is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike and the holes your back four are now visible from space :)

Are you going to watch the Madrid game tonight? I predict a high scoring game...
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yep, I was trying to be sarcy. Balotelli is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike and the holes your back four are now visible from space :)

Are you going to watch the Madrid game tonight? I predict a high scoring game...

Wonder if Brenda will resurrect his lucky armband for this one :wink:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Stevo_666
    Apparently not :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    Looks like the last sixteen is on for us thanks to 2 minutes of football from the 4rse. More chance then SChitty anyway. :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2014
    Looks like the last sixteen is on for us thanks to 2 minutes of football from the 4rse. More chance then SChitty anyway. :wink:
    How could you have less chance than City currently have ? :)
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Which game is everyone looking forward to most this weekend?

Manure V Chelski or El Classico , Real Madrid V Barcelona .

Personally I m going to York City V Mansfield Town,
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Sunderland v Arsenal for me. I have a feeling that Sunderland might be up for this game. They owe their fans after last weeks debacle. :wink: Oh and then on Sunday it's time for a nation of ABU's to all become ABC's for the afternoon. :D Bring it on.
  • Stevo_666
    We might have to borrow Milwall's old slogan, 'Everyone hates us and we don't care" :D
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    We might have to borrow Milwall's old slogan, 'Everyone hates us and we don't care" :D

May as well, you've borrowed their playing style :wink:
  • tim_wand
    I think Chelsea fans have always aspired to be as Urban Chique as Millwall fans!
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

So says the man whose team models its playing style on Keegan era Newcastle :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    tim wand wrote:
    I think Chelsea fans have always aspired to be as Urban Chique as Millwall fans!
    'Chique' is not the first word I'd use to describe Milwall fans :lol: I used to wonder why there were so many tacky bling mobiles near where I live - then I twigged that I live less than a mile from the Milwall training ground :)
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

So says the man whose team models its playing style on Keegan era Newcastle :wink:

Joking apart, I have a lot of time for Keegan and his style of play. He started the ball rolling for City by getting us up to and stabilised us in the PL. Apart from 2012, the season we won the first division under KK was my most enjoyable season watching City - we played some great stuff with the likes of Berkovic feeding the Goat :D
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Joking apart, I have a lot of time for Keegan and his style of play. He started the ball rolling for City by getting us up to and stabilised us in the PL. Apart from 2012, the season we won the first division under KK was my most enjoyable season watching City - we played some great stuff with the likes of Berkovic feeding the Goat :D
    Have to admit, Newcastle were pretty entertaining to watch at the time :) . Though he went and spoiled it all by letting Manure grab the league title off them.
  • city_boy
    KK was great for football IMO. His first spell at Newcastle resulted in some real iconic PL moments. Coming out to meet the protesting fans when he sold Andy Cole to yoonited for £7m, his infamous rant at Fergie, and my favourite was when he collapsed over the advertising hoardings at Anfield when the scousers scored that late winner in the 4-3.

I also cherish the memory of Albert chipping Schmeichel in the 5-0!
  • tim_wand
    Keegan is a god, Just for coming off the track bike on superstars and skinning his thighs.

Good god that's almost cycling relevancy on BB!!!!!!!!
  • Stevo_666
    Keegan even features in that Downfall parody rant when Hitler finds out Newcastle have been relegated :)

Anyway, the weekend is starting so I'm nominating my small unfashionable club to support. It's a club widely slagged off for playing defensive football when they don't - West Ham :wink:
  • tim_wand
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Keegan even features in that Downfall parody rant when Hitler finds out Newcastle have been relegated :)

Anyway, the weekend is starting so I'm nominating my small unfashionable club to supporPt. It's a club widely slagged off for playing defensive football when they don't - West Ham :wink:

West Ham!!! Pah their currently squatting in Arsenal's berth. I m going for a real minnow like Manure :D
  • Stevo_666
    tim wand wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Anyway, the weekend is starting so I'm nominating my small unfashionable club to supporPt. It's a club widely slagged off for playing defensive football when they don't - West Ham :wink:

West Ham!!! Pah their currently squatting in Arsenal's berth. I m going for a real minnow like Manure :D
    You won't be the only one :wink:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    El Clasico has an interesting twist with it being the first Barca game for Suarez. You just know Pepe will spend 90mins kicking him and hoping for a reaction.

I couldn't help but notice Mourinho saying he wants to win at Old Trafford, will be interesting to see if he sticks by that statement. That's the one reason I've never been able to warm to him as a manager, when he is playing his immediate rivals away you could always be reasonably certain that if he was offered a draw before the game he'd say yes thanks and direct the coach back home feeling contented.
  • cornerblock
    That's probably why he (Mourinho) wins titles in every country he manages in. Don't lose away to your title rivals or good teams, beat them at home maintaining magnificent home records and you normally win the title. Not really rocket science. I do think that there is a myth about Mourinho and his tactics. He does like his teams to play good football but if he wants to blunt an opponents attack he is very capable. I ask any football fan, if you needed to guarantee a result in a game which current manager would you say was the most likely to achieve that? I know I am biased but I believe he is a magnificent coach, one of the few who can really effect a game from the touchline.
  • city_boy
    edited October 2014
    That's probably why he (Mourinho) wins titles in every country he manages in. Don't lose away to your title rivals or good teams, beat them at home maintaining magnificent home records and you normally win the title. Not really rocket science. I do think that there is a myth about Mourinho and his tactics. He does like his teams to play good football but if he wants to blunt an opponents attack he is very capable. I ask any football fan, if you needed to guarantee a result in a game which current manager would you say was the most likely to achieve that? I know I am biased but I believe he is a magnificent coach, one of the few who can really effect a game from the touchline.

I can't disagree with anything you say. The question is, if he is such an effective successful coach (I agree he is btw), why does he only seem to stay 2-3 years at a club?
  • cornerblock
    I've heard it said, whether it's true or not I don't know, that with his style of management he's able to have a massive impact quickly but then it all kind of fizzles out. He is a spiky character there is no doubt, partly why he left Chelsea before. I do believe that the fact that he has mellowed a bit and Roman realises what he had before and appreciates how good he is means that this time he will be at Chelsea for a longer period. Maybe he'll never do a Ferguson or a Wenger, well certainly not a Wenger, Mourinho wins things! :wink: but I hope he is around for years to come.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Fair comment but I was speaking as a neutral so when Sky give it all the 'Super Sunday' nonsense about a game with Chelsea away to another potential title winner I know full well I'll probably be reading a book before half time with the game on in the background. That's one aspect of the once given inevitablility held in the media that Mourinho would always manage Manchester United that I wasn't sure about, I don't see their fans would accept a manager being prepared to concede victory from the off. Well that was before Ferguson left anyhow, now they'd probably take anyone who had a plan that wins games.