The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    I'm celebrating nowt, just enjoying it while we're ahead.

Next meeting of the whinging losers society on 18th October? :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    We'll see how Diego Costa holds up in December and January when the games come thick and fast and the weather starts really having an influence. It ain't Spain.
    It ain't Germany either. Looks like it's these Northern European softies that can't hack the pace of the Premier League.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    We'll see how Diego Costa holds up in December and January when the games come thick and fast and the weather starts really having an influence. It ain't Spain.
    It ain't Germany either. Looks like it's these Northern European softies that can't hack the pace of the Premier League.

We still have Sanchez and Arteta - pity because there were signs Ozil and Welbeck were beginning to link up well.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    I don't wish injuries on any side (though I might make an exception for Manure).

Arsenal will get what they want this season anyway - just don't see who is playing well enough to fill up 3rd and 4th spots ahead of you lot.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    No big deal losing Ozil, we just have to pay him for 3 months to do feck all , No change there then.

Hopefully Theo will be back soon. Push him out on the left with Alexis on the right and Welbeck up top and we should be Okay.

Little bit more concerned to hear Koscielny has been sent home from French international duty, hopefully Wenger has pulled some strings to conserve him.

If Wenger doesn't buy a defensive midfielder in January then he needs shooting.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    arsenal-gunners-412x500.png

This record would normally ensure the bullet at most top clubs. Quite shocking.
  • pinno
    edited October 2014
    tim wand wrote:
    No big deal losing Ozil, we just have to pay him for 3 months to do feck all , No change there then.

Hopefully Theo will be back soon. Push him out on the left with Alexis on the right and Welbeck up top and we should be Okay.

Little bit more concerned to hear Koscielny has been sent home from French international duty, hopefully Wenger has pulled some strings to conserve him.

If Wenger doesn't buy a defensive midfielder in January then he needs shooting.

Spotlight on you now Wandy Tim: What formation would they play with a DM? Who would play where?
    Wenger seems to like the 2 wide defenders (essentially wing backs) to push forward but leaving the Koscelny and Mertesacker exposed, especially in the big games against pace, surely that's the problem - it is too indirect a style of play. 4-1-4-1 (old hat and too defensive) wouldn't work as they haven't got a striker with that capability.
    He doesn't have pure wingers in the traditional sense, although Oxlade Chamberlain can play wide. 4-3-3 lacks width with the players he has. 4-4-2 diamond throws up the same problems of 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-2. It also means that You'll have to leave an attacking midfielder out and I think that Ozil and Sanchez are key players (if he can get them paying together).
    Sanchez and Ozil are attacking midfielders and Arteta can play a holding role with Welbeck, Giroud and Walcott -where does that leave Ramsey and Wilshere if he plays 4-3-3? 4-3-1-2 - With Walcott and Welbeck up front? (sell Giroud to St Etienne for a tenner).
  • tim_wand
    Arsenal have finished in the top four every season since 1996 and subsequently played in the champions league for 17 consecutive seasons.

Our record against the Top four (Who ever they may be? As we are the only team to have maintained that position or higher in the last 18 years!) Is not good, there are other considerations.

Arsenal is the only club to have successfully achieved a self sustaining model , whilst moving to new stadia.
    Arsenal are the only club in the modern era to have gone a whole season unbeaten (49 games)
    Arsenal are the only club to have continuously played in the top tier of English football.

So if it suits the newbies look at the last 5 years, I' ve supported my club for over 40
  • cornerblock
    And I've supported mine for as long but it's still a poor record whatever way you look at it.
  • tim_wand
    Pina.

I would play 4-1-4-1

Traditional back four with attacking full backs such as Gibbs and Debeuchy (Chambers)

With a DM protecting the back 4. Wenger is always going to use his two wide players (Sanchez/Walcott) as attacking forwards and hell always play with just one striker.

To often Arsenal never have a plan B, Especially against the likes of Chelsea. I think anyone we got as a DM will need to be a real Box to Box player linking attack and defence with strong running rather than eye of the needle passes.

In the games away from home against the more physical sides I would go 4-1-4-1 with a the DM style player in front of the back four.

At home against teams we really should open up then I would play someone like Ozil as a No 10 in a 4-4-1-1 style.

Wenger is always going to look at his full backs and wide midfielders to get forward.

Regretfully they don't always get back (a combination such as Monreal/ Ozil on the left is just going to get us slaughtered, when one of our light weight midfielders loses the ball.

I m not advocating the use of the DM in all games but it is certainly something we need in our Locker to beat the "Top Four" away from home.

I would play Sanchez wide as he covers back and works his balls off. Ozil is a luxury who can only play as a No 10 in games were we can afford it.

I really do think he's bought Callum Chamber with an eye to developing him into a DM in the future. Fortunately for now our defensive injuries mean he's playing Right Back, which I personally think is his best position. Wenger does like to play people out of position though, god knows why? I think he thinks one success (Henry) means he knows best!

P.S Pina I have new found respect for you now I know your a T5 fan too (saving hard for mine)
  • pinno
    tim wand wrote:
    Arsenal have finished in the top four every season since 1996 and subsequently played in the champions league for 17 consecutive seasons.

Our record against the Top four (Who ever they may be? As we are the only team to have maintained that position or higher in the last 18 years!) Is not good, there are other considerations.

Arsenal is the only club to have successfully achieved a self sustaining model , whilst moving to new stadia.
    Arsenal are the only club in the modern era to have gone a whole season unbeaten (49 games)
    Arsenal are the only club to have continuously played in the top tier of English football.

So if it suits the newbies look at the last 5 years, I' ve supported my club for over 40

Easy tiger, you are preaching to the converted (1981) but it doesn't mean we can't pontificate.
  • tim_wand
    It just really frustrates me. No doubt Arsenal had the potential to kick on post 2006, and I m sure if we had have beaten Barcelona in the champions league final, we would be a different club to the one we are today.

There would have been no need or desire to sell our best players each year to fund the stadium debt.

Hopefully this has stopped with R.V.P and seeing him win the title with Manure, especially now the Emirates is paid for.

I Just wish that the first time we were in a position to reverse this process we didn't spank the Money on Ozil.

Current form aside did we really need a light weight creative midfielder.

We should have got Cesc back and Sold Ozil off the back of his World Cup glory.
  • pinno
    Eduardo's leg injury at St Andrew's seemed to be a watershed. At the time, we looked like a team recovering post Henry and looking good.
    Despite the consistency and financial prudence, tactically Wenger has not been adaptable or creative enough and to get continuously beaten by the bigger teams, is like chewing on hedgehogs, year after year.
    Even Wigan under Martinez beat Chelski . Even little teams have beaten the MuHoo at Old Trafford.
    Arsenal seem to go out and play like boys at times with little or no spine and very little resolve and determination, especially against the big teams. They play smaller teams off the park and if we actually win a PL, it will be because we've managed a few draws at the top end and the big teams have cancelled each other out - in that sense, it would be better if MU and Liverpool were contenders because that possibility is there but winning by default is not how it should be.
    They have the talent and that means they have the potential to win the PL but they are perennial under achievers.
    A great team is greater than the sum of all it's parts and Arsenal have not been that for years.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,017
    A great team is greater than the sum of all it's parts and Arsenal have not been that for years.
    Manchester United proved that in 2012-2013.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Time to revive this thread as we've got some real footy coming up on the weekend...

Here's an interesting article on the price of watching football, though it makes for eye watering reading for a fans of certain London based premiership teams:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29527838

Apparently you can get Barcelona season ticket for £6 more than the price of the most expensive Arsenal ticket - for a single match :shock:
  • pinno
    There was a report about that and there are about 1000 British Borrussia Dortmund fans. It is cheaper for them to travel to Germany with a season ticket for £160 than it is to watch a PL team.
    When I was at the Camp Nou, I met a guy in the queue for a Churizo baguette with a fuzzy Barca scarf, hat, trousers and jacket - the whole caboodle. I said hello in Spanish and he replied with 'Allo mate' !! He was from Fulham, had a Barca season ticket and flew out from Heathrow or Stanstead cheap.
    There are a shed load of MU supporters who are now supporting Accrington Stanley. They turned their backs on their team.
    Arsenal have the most expensive season tickets !
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Time to revive this thread as we've got some real footy coming up on the weekend...

Here's an interesting article on the price of watching football, though it makes for eye watering reading for a fans of certain London based premiership teams:

Apparently you can get Barcelona season ticket for £6 more than the price of the most expensive Arsenal ticket - for a single match :shock:

Good to see Cheatski sell the cheapest pies. They better win the league this year Stevo, or you might have to get some of the 'humble' flavoured ones! :wink:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • tim_wand
    I was stationed in Gutersloh in the Late 80's Early 90's and used to regularly go to games at Dortmund Westfahlen stadium. Used to cost 9 Dm about £3 in the day, and you could get beer in a plastic pint pot on the terraces.

55,000 each week singing their heads off, watching some great players ( and Paul Lambert).

I almost Enjoy when the Gooners draw them in the CL. (Except the results) great trip down memory lane.
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Good to see Cheatski sell the cheapest pies. They better win the league this year Stevo, or you might have to get some of the 'humble' flavoured ones! :wink:
    If anyone can find a £2.50 pie at Stamford Bridge they'll be doing well :roll: Mind you they got it wrong about the cheapest tickets as we paid less than the for the QPR game in 2 weeks time.
  • city_boy
    My boy's under 13s team won 10-1 this morning, Manchester's finest do the Spuds 4-1......come on Palace let's make it a perfect weekend!
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    My boy's under 13s team won 10-1 this morning, Manchester's finest do the Spuds 4-1......come on Palace let's make it a perfect weekend!
    Sorry to piddle on your chips CB :wink:

23 goals in 8 games, we're definitely Stoke in disguise :lol:
  • cornerblock
    And what a goal from Cesc today. Kind of reminiscent of a team from North London, the team that didn't take up the chance to buy him. Just like Ashley his blood is turning bluer by the day. :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    And what a goal from Cesc today. Kind of reminiscent of a team from North London, the team that didn't take up the chance to buy him. Just like Ashley his blood is turning bluer by the day. :lol:
    Was that the same team that looked at Costa and didn't do anything? :)

City will be hoping that Aguero stays fit. They should be fine as he never gets injured :wink:
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:

My son's team have scored 52 and conceded 7 in 7 games. So nah nah, nah Naaah nah :D
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:

My son's team have scored 52 and conceded 7 in 7 games. So nah nah, nah Naaah nah :D
    Who does he play for, Stoke City Juniors? :D
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:

Who does he play for, Stoke City Juniors? :D

No, but they play more attractive football than your lot :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Sometimes pwetty football gets you less goals and less points :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Quiet here - I thought the Liverpool fans would be on here celebrating their 3-2 tonking of QPR :)

Anyway, we all need to set aside our differences for a day or so and unite behind our small, unfashionable club of the week - West Brom :D
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Anyway, we all need to set aside our differences for a day or so and unite behind our small, unfashionable club of the week - West Brom :D

Good point! Although I'll find myself in the rather uncomfortable and morally compromising position of supporting Manyoo next weekend :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Good point! Although I'll find myself in the rather uncomfortable and morally compromising position of supporting Manyoo next weekend :wink:
    I was going to ask about that...

Similar moral dilemma for me soon: which small, unfashionable Manchester club should I support when Sh1tty play Manure? It depends on who has less points at the time so I'll wait and see :P