The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not the PL, but...lucky, lucky Liverpool tonight !

lucky? we scored loads of goals

So did Boro'. Nearly as many as Liverpool.

And that's why we won :)
  • tlw1
    matthew h wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

And that's why we won :)

For once :oops:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Martinez bunged the 'Boro players a fiver each to knacker out Liverpool for Saturday. Worked a treat.

Didn't they field the yoof squad though?

A few, but still had the likes of Mignolet, Lallana, Balotelli, Sterling, Lucas, Sakho, Kolo Toure, Enrique, so a pretty solid squad although obviously saving the big guns for the weekend.

I personally thought our performance was fantastic (and we played a few kids ourselves), and reminded me of some of the best displays back when Robson was in charge. Some excellent attacking play and defensively solid, the wide players especially played brilliantly. If we could play like that on a weekly basis I see no issue with us contending for promotion this year. Clayton and Reach particularly impressed.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Martinez bunged the 'Boro players a fiver each to knacker out Liverpool for Saturday. Worked a treat.

Didn't they field the yoof squad though?

A few, but still had the likes of Mignolet, Lallana, Balotelli, Sterling, Lucas, Sakho, Kolo Toure, Enrique, so a pretty solid squad although obviously saving the big guns for the weekend.

I personally thought our performance was fantastic (and we played a few kids ourselves), and reminded me of some of the best displays back when Robson was in charge. Some excellent attacking play and defensively solid, the wide players especially played brilliantly. If we could play like that on a weekly basis I see no issue with us contending for promotion this year. Clayton and Reach particularly impressed.
    Yep, regardless of whether Liverpool were a few players short of their top squad, well done the 'Boro 8) . Not sure they're ready for the PL quite yet though unless they fancy a season as whipping boys. Gibson will need to get his cheque book out to stop that happening.

It's easy to forget how long Boro spent in the top flight - including when my old man's old man played there donkeys years ago. Remember going to a cracking game at Ayresome Park as a kid when we whupped one of the Sheffield teams 8-0 IIRC.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Karanka seems to have good relationships with Chelsea and Real Madrid, so we could probably get a few decent lads on loan the first season. A solid centre back and centre/defensive mid player would definitely be required.

We've built up a good head of steam at the moment and even though we've been in the Championship a good few seasons now it makes you appreciate what Gibson has done. He's been very prudent. When you look at teams who went into freefall like Leeds, Wolves, Portsmouth, and Fulham this year you've got to be happy with where we are. It could be worse. I'd love to see us back in the PL purely to see the Riverside at capacity again.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Stevo_666
    Karanka seems to have good relationships with Chelsea and Real Madrid, so we could probably get a few decent lads on loan the first season. A solid centre back and centre/defensive mid player would definitely be required.

We've built up a good head of steam at the moment and even though we've been in the Championship a good few seasons now it makes you appreciate what Gibson has done. He's been very prudent. When you look at teams who went into freefall like Leeds, Wolves, Portsmouth, and Fulham this year you've got to be happy with where we are. It could be worse. I'd love to see us back in the PL purely to see the Riverside at capacity again.
    Bamford is on loan from Chelski: bring on a few more I say.

Would be good to get an automatic promotion slot but the play offs are a very realistic prospect this season. Though like I said above, Gibson will need to spend a lot of the TV money on players if he wants them to stay in the PL. Crap seasons are no fun.

Obviously the icing on the cake would be if Newcastle or Sunderland get relegated :twisted:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    I think I might just start supporting Shrewsbury Town...

Would it not be great if Sunderland, Boro' and Newcastle (sans Pardew - sack him now) were in the PL?
  • Stevo_666

Would it not be great if Sunderland, Boro' and Newcastle (sans Pardew - sack him now) were in the PL?
    Can be but it's always satisfying to see your local rivals get a good kicking :twisted: I mean, wouldn't you like to see Spurs go down? No doubt this was the work of a Boro fan :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrLSMQy35E
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Can be but it's always satisfying to see your local rivals get a good kicking :twisted: I mean, wouldn't you like to see Spurs go down? No doubt this was the work of a Boro fan :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrLSMQy35E

There's also a Strava bagging parody and many others with the same clip but the script is pretty good.

KOM

Ring a bell?

One about Man U
  • pinno
    More great news: Man U have 9 injuries and 1 suspension. LVG is putting his excuses in early.
  • Stevo_666
    More great news: Man U have 9 injuries and 1 suspension. LVG is putting his excuses in early.
    Diddums, he's scared of West Ham. Probably rightly so after what they did to Liverpool. In this case my support for a small, unfashionable club this weekend goes to Hull :)
  • tlw1

Stevo - don't you need to visit the Telford plant when this game is on?
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:

The Telford lot don't like me any more, I widdled on their chips when they tried to put in place some royalty charges without telling me. Let's see if I can kiss and make up.
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

The Telford lot don't like me any more, I widdled on their chips when they tried to put in place some royalty charges without telling me. Let's see if I can kiss and make up.

In person?
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

In person?
    Probably not, that's well into into Banjo country.
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

In person?
    Probably not, that's well into into Banjo country.

It's probably 50 miles from alsager
  • Stevo_666
    I refer you to my statement above :P
  • pinno
    Between 'Banjo country and Alsager' - That must be where the saying 'between a rock and a hard place' comes from.
  • Stevo_666
    Between 'Banjo country and Alsager' - That must be where the saying 'between a rock and a hard place' comes from.
    I was trying to say that Alsager was such a shytehole that anywhere in at least a 50 mile radius was Banjo country by association. Alternatively, it's the Midlands and that's all shyte - apart from the fact that it's got the A1 linking the South East to the North East.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I was trying to say that Alsager was such a shytehole that anywhere in at least a 50 mile radius was Banjo country by association. Alternatively, it's the Midlands and that's all shyte - apart from the fact that it's got the A1 linking the South East to the North East.

Have to agree. The Midlands really is the a*sehole of the country! I'm sure there must be some decent folk there though who need some sympathy and support. And so, for that reason; today, I'll mostly be supporting Aston Vanilla. :D

As a side note Stevo, as a self confessed Northerner, how did you end up gloryhun.....,sorry, supporting, Cheatski?
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have to agree. The Midlands really is the a*sehole of the country! I'm sure there must be some decent folk there though who need some sympathy and support. And so, for that reason; today, I'll mostly be supporting Aston Vanilla. :D

As a side note Stevo, as a self confessed Northerner, how did you end up gloryhun.....,sorry, supporting, Cheatski? :wink:
  • tlw1
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have to agree. The Midlands really is the a*sehole of the country! I'm sure there must be some decent folk there though who need some sympathy and support.

Christ I'm depressed - I've got people from the People republic of Scotland, Manchester and 'Boro' saying I live in a shoot place
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

As a side note Stevo, as a self confessed Northerner, how did you end up gloryhun.....,sorry, supporting, Cheatski?
    Longish story but in a nutshell, born a Boro supporter, moved down to London aged 18 and adopted Chelski as my new local-ish club - plus the trouble n strife is a life long, rabid Chelsea supporter so I can go to see the footy without me wasting leave outs :)
  • Stevo_666
    Another good day in the PL - apart from the Manure win of course. Looks like our main competition this season is going to be Southampton :wink:
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Another good day in the PL - apart from the Manure win of course. Looks like our main competition this season is going to be Southampton :wink:

its not going well for us :(
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I hope you sort your act out just before the next time you play the light blue wannabes :)
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I hope you sort your act out just before the next time you play the light blue wannabes :)

I'm sure we will :(
  • city_boy
    On current evidence I can see Cheatski going the whole season unbeaten, especially playing Maureen's brand of football :roll:

However, any significant injury to any of Costa, Hazard and either one of Terry or Cahill and then it will be interesting to see how they cope.

As for City, you're right Stevo, we really really wannabe Premier League Champions......oh, wait a minute..... :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Champions? That's so last season :)

You wannabe at the top of the table don't you? :P