The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Well that was a bit of a shyte two days of CL footy from an English team perspective.

Roll on the weekend...

Aherm

Liverpool thrashed that ladies part time team
    I think you were lucky that their best players couldn't get time off their normal jobs to play :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Forgot to nominate my small unfashionable club to support for this weekend. Think I'll go for Leicester, as West Ham are already doing a decent job :wink: .
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Forgot to nominate my small unfashionable club to support for this weekend. Think I'll go for Leicester, as West Ham are already doing a decent job :wink: .

:oops: they have just scored a third
  • Seems Liverpool are intent on letting Man U back into the top 4. Spurs or Everton will have to up their game but they are both cursed with the Europa league this season.
  • Stevo_666
    Well done to the small London clubs today :P The Ar$e kindly stopped Villa nicking top spot and The Hammerheads gave Liverpool a bit of a surprise.

Now we stay top whatever happens tomorrow, so we can go to the Etijihad and enjoy ourselves :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    Liverpool are leaking goals and are toothless. If Liverpool FC was a person, he/she would be in a care home.
    not nearly the strength in depth required for CL footie, that is plain to see. Annoys me because it leaves a window for those 4rsehole neighbours to the East of them to jump in

The Aston Villa squad have a virus which according to Linekar lasted 3 minutes and 30 seconds. I liked that. Ozul and Welbeck linked up well and that combo gives us hope except Welbeck can't give an interview for toffee.

Had hoped Newcastle would have lost so that Pardew got the boot. Bring back Ray Houghton I say.

Today I shall be mowstly supportin' Lesesester, oooo aaaaar.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Liverpool are leaking goals and are toothless. If Liverpool FC was a person, he/she would be in a care home.
    not nearly the strength in depth required for CL footie, that is plain to see. Annoys me because it leaves a window for those 4rsehole neighbours to the East of them to jump in
    I think for Liverpool it's a case of 'welcome back to playing Euro matches in the middle of the week and dealing with the pressures of the PL'. This is a double edged sword however, as Manure are in the same position as Liverpool were last season in terms of not having any Euro footy.

Take away Suarez, then let Rogers carry on indulging an ageing Gerrard and treating defending as a bit on an afterthought and I don't think Liverpool will be doing nearly as well this season.
  • Stevo_666
    Kin ell. Leicester v Man U is going to be worth watching tonight. Come on Leicester! :)
  • I was on bet365.

After Utd went 2-0 for Utd to win first half but Leicester to win at full time was 150-1. How i wish i had stuck a tenner on it
  • Stevo_666
    Awesome result :mrgreen: Might stop Man U thinking they're any good.

150-1 :shock:
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Let me be the first to congratulate Cheatski's parked bus and their man of the match Mike Dean for stealing a point at the home of The Champions :mrgreen:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • tlw1
    That Lampard is good, Chelski should sign him
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Let me be the first to congratulate Cheatski's parked bus and their man of the match Mike Dean for stealing a point at the home of The Champions :mrgreen:
    He was your man of the match - seems you weren't watching just like he wasn't when City handled in the area :wink: . Lucky City, you just managed to stay 5 points behind The League Leaders with only 5 games played and you still can't beat us at home. We're looking forward to seeing you lot at The Bridge :twisted:
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:
    He was your man of the match - seems you weren't watching just like he wasn't when City handled in the area :wink: . Lucky City, you just managed to stay 5 points behind The League Leaders with only 5 games played and you still can't beat us at home. We're looking forward to seeing you lot at The Bridge :twisted:

No, I didn't see Ivanovic kick Toure in the knee in Cheatski's box either :roll:
    I'm looking forward to the game at the Bridge too, at least we'll come to play football and try to win again, rather than a small club/Stoke City type approach :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    City Boy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    City Boy wrote:

No, I didn't see Ivanovic kick Toure in the knee in Cheatski's box either :roll:
    I'm looking forward to the game at the Bridge too, at least we'll come to play football and try to win again, rather than a small club/Stoke City type approach :wink:

Catch us if you can :mrgreen: You'll need a bit more luck to do that when your current best striker is a Chelsea reject :P
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Elusive Manure fan spotted.

1411314368307_wps_40_Manchester_United_virals_.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Elusive Manure fan spotted.

1411314368307_wps_40_Manchester_United_virals_.jpg
    I think all supporters of good clubs (and City Boy :wink: ) should put aside our differences and give Leicester the recognition it deserves for putting Manure back in its place - currently 12th :lol:
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    king-richard-new-s_2470471b.jpg

manchester-united-home-kit_3169425.jpg?20140707155334

Dicks who got buried in Leicester.
  • pinno
    Dreamtime...Chelski and MC cancel each other out with a late goal from super sub Lampard and super sub Drogba didn't come on for Chelski - maybe he should have?
    City played a long while with 10 men so maybe with 11 they will hold them to a draw at the bridge and then cancel each other out again. So your confidence in a result at the Bridge is perhaps a little over optimistic bean counter.

MU are pants at the back - worse than Liverpool. Their defence was crumblier than soft Micks very crumbly, crumbly Rhubarb and crumble (or Liverpool)...dreamtime.

That means that of the pre-season top four only Arsenal won.
  • city_boy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I think all supporters of good clubs (and City Boy :wink: ) should put aside our differences and give Leicester the recognition it deserves for putting Manure back in its place - currently 12th :lol:

Ever thought of doing stand up, Stevo? :wink:

But I do agree, Leicester did provide almost as much hilarity as LVG's post match interview :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    So your confidence in a result at the Bridge is perhaps a little over optimistic bean counter.
    I'll be very confident when Arsenal come to Stamford Bridge :)
    That means that of the pre-season top four only Arsenal won.
    I'm glad to say that none of Chelsea's competitors for the Premier League title made up any ground on us this weekend just gone :wink:
  • pinno
    Some sense:

"Overall, the team that wins the mini-league between the top four sides goes on to win the title just 64% of the time. The success rate varied from country to country, with Italy’s record 80% and France’s record 50%.

What quickly becomes apparent is that beating your rivals is not necessarily the clincher to the title. Just look at Barcelona in 2012-13: they won La Liga by 12 points from Real Madrid, but the Bernabeu side had the upper hand in the mini-league by four points. That was the season when fourth-placed Real Sociedad, with 66 points, finished nearer the relegation zone (36 points) than to top spot (100 points).

It was a similar story for Barcelona in 2004-05, when they finished four points clear at the top, but finished bottom of the mini-league with only five points from its six games against the teams around them – that was a 3-0 win over Real Madrid (with its other points coming in 3-3 draws with Villarreal and Real Betis).

Looking at the numbers can, in some cases, show where the title was won or lost; last season Juventus romped to Serie A by 17 points, but only won the mini-league by three points. Their savagery against the rest of the division made the difference. On the other hand, in 2011-12, Juventus topped the league by four points, but won the mini-league by eight points. Their wins over AC Milan, Udinese and Lazio were decisive in that campaign.

Perhaps the best example of a team struggling against rivals but coasting to the title was Lyon in 2005-06. That title was number five out of a run of seven, and Lyon finished 15 points clear of second-placed Bordeaux. The story of the season emerged in the mini-league, as Lyon failed to beat any of the three sides below them, losing twice and drawing four times. But winning 25 (and drawing five) of the 32 games against the other 16 sides allowed Gerard Houllier’s team to romp home with ease.

Back to this season: City have already played three potential top-four sides, and have five points from their matches against Liverpool (3-1), Arsenal (2-2) and Chelsea (1-1) – one more than the corresponding matches last season. If the numbers show us anything, it’s that avoiding defeat against your closest rivals is important, but winning those ‘winnable’ games can make the difference. And while Lampard’s late intervention may have prevented a Chelsea cakewalk this season, City’s surprise defeat at home to Stoke City could prove to be just as decisive."
  • Stevo_666
    Stop talking sense man. Don't you know where you are?

Dropping points against teams we should have beaten was Chelsea's undoing last season - finishing third despite doing the double over City and Liverpool. This season could well be decided on who takes the points they 'should' take against weaker opposition. That said, we've got potentially our toughest game of the season out the way but there will still be a few surprises.

Pity I couldn't get tickets to see Chelski v Ar$e next month, would have been good. I'll just have to settle for QPR in early November instead.
  • Stevo_666
    Not the PL, but...lucky, lucky Liverpool tonight !
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:

lucky? we scored loads of goals
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

...and your defence was on form. Conceding 15 in one game, even Man U can't match that :)
  • pinno
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

So did Boro'. Nearly as many as Liverpool.
  • Stevo_666
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Martinez bunged the 'Boro players a fiver each to knacker out Liverpool for Saturday. Worked a treat.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Martinez bunged the 'Boro players a fiver each to knacker out Liverpool for Saturday. Worked a treat.

Didn't they field the yoof squad though?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,016
    Arsenal, Cardiff, Bradford, Norwich and Everton; here is the fan's response, it is only the League Cup.

Everyone else is saying, ha, ha. Ha, ha.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.