South London mud-club

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Never thought I would get excited about ordering a pair of Shimano MTB shoes and XT pedals... :mrgreen:

The XT were more discounted (32%) than the XTR and the close RRP suggested they are the same thing/30 grams... am I wrong... are XTR a hell of a lot more durable?
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    Where from? I just put John's XT pedals on my bike to try and see if the large platform helped my aching feet, it doesn't but they felt pretty good compared to the 520s. I think I need new shoes.
    By the way, John is now looking at cross bikes. :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Chain Reaction
  • ugo.santalucia
    This morning I explored a lung-busting bridleway that goes to the top of Box hill from Headley Lane...

Just saying...
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    This morning I explored a lung-busting bridleway that goes to the top of Box hill from Headley Lane...

Just saying...

Maybe, as team leader, I'll take the points on that one
  • ugo.santalucia
    I might leave you the points for the other one I found... it's a 1 in 1 slope... :shock: :shock:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I might leave you the points for the other one I found... it's a 1 in 1 slope... :shock: :shock:
    Juniper Bottom I assume? http://app.strava.com/segments/847765 it does kick up at touch at the end.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Juniper bottom is the lung busting one, but on the opposite side there is a small bridleway which is too steep even to shoulder the bike down... :shock:

You should join us sometime..
  • roger_merriman
    Juniper bottom is the lung busting one, but on the opposite side there is a small bridleway which is too steep even to shoulder the bike down... :shock:

One opposite is very steep with steps, is that the one you mean? There are a few from the A25 to BoxHill that are remarkably steep push/carry jobs up though not terribly tenical so easy enough down.

I rather suspect I'm a tad too slow, FS mtb and I tend not to go on the roads if I can help it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    One opposite is very steep with steps, is that the one you mean?

I rather suspect I'm a tad too slow, FS mtb and I tend not to go on the roads if I can help it.

It's got natural steps...

Well, if you know a way out of London that doesn't involve any road, I'm game...
  • roger_merriman
    One opposite is very steep with steps, is that the one you mean?

It's got natural steps...

Well, if you know a way out of London that doesn't involve any road, I'm game...

ah your talking about the brideway that comes out in BoxHill (the Village) there is another that comes out in the further down just up from the cafe carpark, the path on the other side has proper steps.

getting out of London you can reduce the roads to minimal, though does depend where you are, I can get to Esher woods with out much road work, and from there its to Ashtead past bike beans cafe, and pick up the trail to Stane Street which takes you to bottom of BoxHill.

It is though a fairly mild route so I rarely ride out that way, if I do tend to take the bike to Epsom Downs and loop around to Boxhill and take Stane Street home.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I can see a ride coming this weekend, anyone?
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I wouldn't mind coming along, bit out of form at the moment but still capable. need to check weekend plan but this looks promising!
  • ugo.santalucia
    I am reasonably flexible on the day I think.. less so on the time... I like it early... 7 Am ideally
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    Sorry mate, will be checking out some new trails on the Isle of Wight hopefully.
  • veronese68
    Can't do this weekend, probably won't get out until September. Got lots to do before we go on holiday and still haven't finished the DIY.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Sunday anyone?
  • Juniper bottom is the lung busting one, but on the opposite side there is a small bridleway which is too steep even to shoulder the bike down... :shock:

I finally got back out, since there are only two bridle ways that cross, quite a fun decent is darn steep and few rootssnd what not but perfectly doable on a FS MTB but would of though was doable on a Cross bike, which most modern ones have better brakes and tyres than the old MTB's I started off on when the world was young!

Quite a climb up to boxhill village not helped by late summer folage hiding roots/rocks etc.

Some fun climbs up Headly cricket pitch and around that way.
  • Anyone fancy a ride this Sunday? Leaving fairly early and testing a course out to Box Hill maybe? Unless anyone else has another route they want to do?
  • Anyone fancy a ride this Sunday? Leaving fairly early and testing a course out to Box Hill maybe? Unless anyone else has another route they want to do?

Yep, I was about to come up with the same.... 7:30 at the Richmond/Twickenham Bridge?

Yep, I was about to come up with the same.... 7:30 at the Richmond/Twickenham Bridge?

Sounds good to me
  • It's a deal then...

time to put the knobblies on then...

Anyone else?
  • veronese68
    Not for me unfortunately, got a hectic few weeks coming up. Looks like being a nice day on Sunday too.
    Enjoy.
  • Sounds good to me

My legs hurt, man!
  • Sounds good to me

My legs hurt, man!

Mine are fine mate ;) Although my arms are a bit achy. You didn't notice me riding upside down at any point did you? Thanks for leading today
  • veronese68
    Sounds good to me

My legs hurt, man!

Mine are fine mate ;) Although my arms are a bit achy. You didn't notice me riding upside down at any point did you? Thanks for leading today
    Sounds like a good job I couldn't go. I'd have held you up or exhaled a lung trying to keep up at best.
  • Anyone for a bit of off road riding during the festive season?
  • On_What
    Yeah, got some new treads arriving that I want to try so seems a good opportunity, this weekend?
  • This weekend could work. Either sat or sun is fine as long as it's a morning thing. 8 AM from Richmond Park or around it ideally
  • On_What
    Could be in for Sunday but will confirm