South London mud-club

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,337
    Better get myself out to the garage and put the more knobbly tyres on then. Might have to remove the guards to clear the 35mm though.
  • I'll be the one with long tights and holes on the knees (long story)
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ended up being 5mins late for the meeting (the joys of having a two day old) and missed you guys. Are you still doing a ride on the 9th?
  • Ended up being 5mins late for the meeting (the joys of having a two day old) and missed you guys. Are you still doing a ride on the 9th?

Ahhh, sorry about that... if you said you were definitively coming, we would have waited for you... what a shame...

It is fair to say it was quite muddy... at one point my 32 mm tyres became a set of 2 inch wide ones

Now the cleaning job...
    DSC_1879_zps1af8184d.jpg
  • veronese68
    Sorry we missed you Sheep. I was utterly knackered by the end, Ugo is rather fitter than I. Haven't cleaned the bike yet, had to have a sit down. Not sure if I can make the 9th but will try to. We must do it again though, I enjoyed that.
    Thanks Ugo.
    IMG_0360.jpg

Ahhh, sorry about that... if you said you were definitively coming, we would have waited for you... what a shame...

It is fair to say it was quite muddy... at one point my 32 mm tyres became a set of 2 inch wide ones

Now the cleaning job...
    DSC_1879_zps1af8184d.jpg

I wasn't given a pass till late so couldn't really hold you guys up for a maybe. Glad you had fun, I just ended up doing base miles around the park so bike wasn't quite as dirty as yours but curtesy of the downhill from Pembrooke Lodge it did need cleaning. Let me know if you're doing it again on the 9th and I'll try and get my pass earlier.
  • 9th is possible, as long as the weather is not dreadful, it should be OK. Hopefully it will dry a bit... :?

Will update during the week
  • Mapped this for next saturday, if the weather holds

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/319229191
  • That looks great guys. Glad you made it out.

Defo up for the 9th unless a baby pops its head out of a hole earlier than that...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Well I've been given a provisional pass for Saturday so am looking forward to getting muddy
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm tempted to come along (assuming I'm welcome!) - on concern is that it's about an hour and 1/2 drive to Richmond Park first ... and that means leaving home at 7am ... at the weekend!
  • Slowbike wrote:
    I'm tempted to come along (assuming I'm welcome!) - on concern is that it's about an hour and 1/2 drive to Richmond Park first ... and that means leaving home at 7am ... at the weekend!

Of course you're welcome Slowbike (unless you've done something to Ugo to upset him). You could always ride down and leave home at midnight and make a ride of it :wink:
  • Slowbike wrote:

Yeah, sure... well, at least the car park in Richmond Park is free... to be honest early in the morning is the only time you can actually make it into Richmond.
    Next saturday is rugby at Twickenham, so if you have to go back kind of north or west bound best not to bother. Southbound should be fine
  • slowbike
    Ta - I sort of know the area as I was at uni at Kingston - but that's a few years ago ;)
    Fortunately Ill be coming in from the south.
  • This is now confirmed.
    8:30 Richmond gate. If anyone is coming for sure, raise your hand so we can wait for you in case you are a few minutes late
  • Consider my hand raised
  • slowbike
    I'll raise my hand too ...

Is this an old farts ride or whippersnapper whizabout? .... I rather hope the former!
  • Slowbike wrote:
    I'll raise my hand too ...

Is this an old farts ride or whippersnapper whizabout? .... I rather hope the former!

Kind of the former... I can normally keep up with most folks, but happy to take it easy... these are only the first steps of the Road to Roubaix... :D
    http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... ubaix-2014
  • slowbike
    That's ok ... my brothers idea of "taking it easy" during a sportive was to head into a F6 headwind at 20mph for the first 5 miles ... I was just able to do my share of the pulling (3 of us rotating) but I think I'd faired a bit better for the rest of the ride had we eased up a just a little bit to start with!

I'm just debating with myself whether to swap my CX tyres onto better wheels rather than the stock ones they're currently on ... might make life a bit sweeter :)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    That's ok ... my brothers idea of "taking it easy" during a sportive was to head into a F6 headwind at 20mph for the first 5 miles ... I was just able to do my share of the pulling (3 of us rotating) but I think I'd faired a bit better for the rest of the ride had we eased up a just a little bit to start with!

I'm just debating with myself whether to swap my CX tyres onto better wheels rather than the stock ones they're currently on ... might make life a bit sweeter :)

It's fairly flat...
  • slowbike
    I like flat ...

I don't mind hills either - I'm just not as quick on them!
  • Peeps prefer Sat to Sun? Just sayin' : http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/croydon
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Peeps prefer Sat to Sun? Just sayin' : http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/croydon

Mmh, forecast seems to have taken a sudden turn for the worst... now cold and wet on saturday... would sunday work for those who raised their hands?

Mmh, forecast seems to have taken a sudden turn for the worst... now cold and wet on saturday... would sunday work for those who raised their hands?

Not for me, wife has help with little ones for Saturday but no cover for Sunday. Don't let my absence stop you changing days though.
  • slowbike
    Sunday doesn't work for me either.
  • OK,

stay tuned and I will update later this afternoon. I don't mind a shower, but I do mind a soaker this time of the year... let's see if the forecast improves
  • veronese68
    I'm not going to make it this weekend, I've managed to get myself a dose of manflu. If the weather is bad I may also have to give my son a lift to and from rugby, just to please Ugo ;-). I normally make him take his bike, but he's playing Saturday and Sunday this week so I might go easy on him.
    Keen to give it a go another time though.
  • Had a look at both BBC and Metoffice... it looks like early morning fine, but then from 10 AM onwards it's a soaker (bit like now judging by the colours)... given in the best case scenario we'd be back around 11:30, I suggest we give tomorrow a miss...
    If you guys want to clock in a ride, the perimeter of Richmond Park is muddy enough for some good early morning fun (tested early this morning)... I'll give it a miss.

BUT, sunday 8:30 is on, as it looks like a much much much better day to get muddy... anyone up for it?
  • slowbike
    Ok - thanks for trying ... can't do sunday ... guess I can give the bike a good clean instead now ... :)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Ok - thanks for trying ... can't do sunday ... guess I can give the bike a good clean instead now ... :)

With a newborn my passes are very limited so I'm going out so long as the next ice age doesn't hit tonight and freeze everything. I've not done the route but have downloaded Ugo's suggested course for tomorrow so if you don't mind getting wet then I'm still going.