Aggresive Hardtail Thread!

Comments

• 20140724_182252_zpsgyy0vsbl.jpg

One from tonight!
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Those bird bikes are so so nice!!

Here is my whyte, not so sure it qualifies as fully aggressive, maybe a 'mildly peeved hardtail' :lol:

Stock build with saint pedals apart from 55mm easton haven stem, renthal fatbar lites, hope lock on grips, and a 1 by 10 conversion using a hope retainer ring 34t and the one-up components 42t + 16t expander set.

imagejpg3_zps4307254d.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsd1a116ee.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks good, is that 650b?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Ferrals
    Yup, dedicated follower of fashion me :oops: :lol:
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Looks like the bb is really low, but really nice!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Ferrals
    Yeah the bb is low, in fact that's the one thing, I do clip pedals a bit and have to concentrate not too
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I'm finally allowed back on the bike!! Taking it easy though. Flicks from yday

IMAG0726_zpsbtiz9ksa.jpg[/url]

IMG_20140728_133301_zpsi771u3fy.jpg
  • How many of you guys have gone from a Triple to Double/Single converting what you have?

Currently running a Triple (SLX), I "never" use the big ring, I could go down to a double set up by removing ther outer ring and shorten the chain, easiest option, very little to gain!? Or go for 1 x NarrowWide chainring, shorten the chain, remove front mech/shifter and see how I get on.

Current Chainset = 24-32-42, I seem to be OK with the 32 middle ring, if going single speed to people tend to stick with this?

Any thoughts, pitfalls to watch out for? The rear mech is XT but not clutch type, and I would prefer to run without any guide. My riding is XC either in the great outdoors or at the local trail centre (Llandegla).
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    How many of you guys have gone from a Triple to Double/Single converting what you have?

Currently running a Triple (SLX), I "never" use the big ring, I could go down to a double set up by removing ther outer ring and shorten the chain, easiest option, very little to gain!? Or go for 1 x NarrowWide chainring, shorten the chain, remove front mech/shifter and see how I get on.

Current Chainset = 24-32-42, I seem to be OK with the 32 middle ring, if going single speed to people tend to stick with this?

Any thoughts, pitfalls to watch out for? The rear mech is XT but not clutch type, and I would prefer to run without any guide. My riding is XC either in the great outdoors or at the local trail centre (Llandegla).

I've converted a triple to a double by removing the outer front ring, replacing it with a bash ring, shortening the chain and adjusting the gears to suit. Had no problems to be honest.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    I've not been out on my hardtail in months. Kinda torn between selling it, or whacking a Hammerschmidt crankset on with a single cog out back. One gear for trials, one for street. Could be a fun little experiment. Also means I could have both the rear brake hose and the only gear cable going from the left side of the bars... So barspins would be possible again.

Trail mode:
    DSC_3055.jpg~original

Play mode:
    DSC_3054.jpg~original
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    How many of you guys have gone from a Triple to Double/Single converting what you have?

I bought an XT triple crankset for mine (Shan way back near the start of this thread) but never used it that way, the middle ring was swapped out for a 34T single and the others sold on. This was just before narrow-wide was around, so I put a chainguide on too. If you want to run without one I think you'll need a clutch mech. Either way you should likely shorten the chain yes, put a 32T narrow-wide on to replace the middle ring and you should should be good to go I think. At the time I was very happy with the 34, but now I don't get to ride quite as often my legs would probably welcome me giving up and going with a 32.
  • Hi

I have bought a new N/W Chain Ring, 32t in Red, plus an extra pin for re-joining the chain.

Mech is an XT Shadow (not plus), will see how I get on.

Is the chain size method the usual, wrap around the large ring (i.e. the 1 front ring!) and the lagest cog on the rear casette, then plus 2 links?
  • Upgrades are reverb and new deore brakes. Really fancy swapping my bits over to a purple BFE!

9c6de8432dce09bbad321a3a17a28639.jpg
  • pesky_jones
    Hi

I have bought a new N/W Chain Ring, 32t in Red, plus an extra pin for re-joining the chain.

Mech is an XT Shadow (not plus), will see how I get on.

Is the chain size method the usual, wrap around the large ring (i.e. the 1 front ring!) and the lagest cog on the rear casette, then plus 2 links?

Large to large like you say, NOT through any mech, but it DOES go through any chain device you have. plus two links
  • Kiliscott wrote:
    Upgrades are reverb and new deore brakes. Really fancy swapping my bits over to a purple BFE!

9c6de8432dce09bbad321a3a17a28639.jpg

Oooooh that seat angle (winces)
  • I was walking like john Wayne after a ride around the block. Changed now though ;) lol!
  • Finished building this up on Saturday, pretty sure it belongs in this thread.

DSCF2708.png

IMG_20140823_152620.jpg

2014 Dartmoor Hornet. Highly recommended.
    Big guy; small air!
  • pesky_jones
    Love it...Ive got the 2013 one. what fo0rk?
    IMAG0726_zpsppf94vro.jpg
  • Running a 150mm Pike RC. Got it with a pretty decent discount from the French, pretty impressed with it, stays nice and high in the travel when climbing without even upping the compression, so you don't have to mess with it before and after every climb.

Also, I'm really impressed with how low the front of the bike is even with a 150mm fork on. Doesn't feel even remotely tractor-like.
    Big guy; small air!
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    edited August 2014
    Just finished mine today, and my bottom is sore from riding this thing!!! It's amazing :D

Specs:
    Frame: on one 456 evo2
    Fork: sr suntour epicon x2 TA set at 140mm
    Brakes: Magura mt2, discs 203 F/R
    Crank set: Shimano Deore
    Headset:FSA orbit
    Handle bars: Superstar 780mm wide 50mm rise
    Grips: nukeproof
    Pedals: nukeproof
    R/D: Shimano zee (1x10)
    Shifter: Shimano saint
    Chain ring: Blackspire narrow/wide 32t
    Rims: Alex d21 on sram 306 hubs / tubeless conversion stans no tubes
    Rubber: contis mountain king 2 2.2 cheaply compount

IMG_20140827_124935.jpg

The link http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/ViDeO ... t=3&page=1

Can't make the damn thing to work :evil:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Ohhh don't comment on the steerer, the fork is kindly offered by a good friend so I can ride, will be replaced possibly by a R/S sektor 150, solo air, 15QR
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Did it!!! :D

Out of the box, in raw finnish

IMG_20140827_100141.jpg
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    It's that an XL? frame looks really spindly :shock:
  • Herdwick
    I guess you can call it xl, it's size 20
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Finished building this up on Saturday, pretty sure it belongs in this thread.

DSCF2708.png

IMG_20140823_152620.jpg

2014 Dartmoor Hornet. Highly recommended.

My mate has the same but in black, looks great. I had a sneak blast on it and it feels so much better than my carbon 456, climbs well too!! Hes getting rid for a slackline though.
  • Herdwick wrote:
    Ohhh don't comment on the steerer, the fork is kindly offered by a good friend so I can ride, will be replaced possibly by a R/S sektor 150, solo air, 15QR

Tell me about it, i had to make do with some crappy suntours what were lying about in the shed, fortunately they had a straight steerer so i could at least have the bike fully built, budget build (at the moment! lol)

0A8954FD-91BB-471A-B742-29FB1ACC88F1.jpg
  • Herdwick
    Nice budget built there, do you need that chain guide? I used to run one but after the N/W chain ring and zee R/D never had an issue

Actually the epicon is a great fork for the price, plush and reasonable stiff for the weight, but I really like the concept of a 15QR fork
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The hope ring is pretty chewed up tbh so I put it on with a guide, it ain't a NW anyway. Just put a shorter easton stem on it, need to change them awful nukeproof bars & jobs a good'un for now.
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    Kiliscott wrote:
    The hope ring is pretty chewed up tbh so I put it on with a guide, it ain't a NW anyway. Just put a shorter easton stem on it, need to change them awful nukeproof bars & jobs a good'un for now.
    Doesnt that saddle angle really hurt your you-know-whats
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • Yep it killed my gooch, LOL!