Show us your Cross Bikes.

Comments

• It still amazes me that they put white tape on bikes meant for cross. Lovely looking Giant though!

Yep it doesnt take long for it to get minging. Same goes for the seat! white and 'cross isnt a good mix

DSC_1022.jpg

Also the routing of the front brake cable seems to be a bit of a design flaw. Plenty of clearance on the forks but the stick a cable in the gap to collect mud. I had to clear this out a number of times.

DSC_1021.jpg
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • That routing really doesn't look right to me. There's no way that hose/cable should be inside the fork.
  • First outing on the new bike...

Straight over the bars when the wheel sunk...then lobbed it in the field when the mud stuck the front wheel up! Good ride though, gearing is a bit short and the brakes SUCK. Other than that it's great. Much more lively than the Boardman and easier to shoulder.

cx03_zpsdff9b117.jpg
    cx02_zps0eb82833.jpg
    cx01_zps75496f8c.jpg
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    creightonv wrote:
    cx01_zps75496f8c.jpg

Good work! Looks like a fat bike.

Rob
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    Good to see it being ridden as intended Creightonv. I managed to get my tyres looking like that a couple of times. Do your brakes need bedding in, or are they that bad? I must admit I got a frame and forks and built mine up using BB7s as they were supposed to be the beat on the market at the beginning of this year, although now others may be better. Great bike though, I'm loving mine.
  • creightonv wrote:
    First outing on the new bike...

cx03_zpsdff9b117.jpg

Ah.....the new Eco friendly bike rack
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Good to see it being ridden as intended Creightonv. I managed to get my tyres looking like that a couple of times. Do your brakes need bedding in, or are they that bad? I must admit I got a frame and forks and built mine up using BB7s as they were supposed to be the beat on the market at the beginning of this year, although now others may be better. Great bike though, I'm loving mine.
    They are pretty crap. The BB5's on the Boardman were way better, going to be switching calipers pretty rapidly!
  • lovely looking mud covered bike. I need to get out and ride, hopefully my front will not clog up again!
  • creightonv wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    They are pretty crap. The BB5's on the Boardman were way better, going to be switching calipers pretty rapidly!

90% is bad installation. Are you sure the pad is in full contact with the disc? You can space the caliper to get the best contact? Are you sure the pads alignment is perfectly parallel to the disc? Bad installation means poor braking. It's trial and error, there isn't a rule
    left the forum March 2023
  • VamP wrote:
    It still amazes me that they put white tape on bikes meant for cross. Lovely looking Giant though!

Two words. Fizik Microtex.

YES! Had Fizik Microtex on my bike since August, and it's still sparkly including getting muddy a number of times, the marks just wash off with a soapy sponge.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    creightonv wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

90% is bad installation. Are you sure the pad is in full contact with the disc? You can space the caliper to get the best contact? Are you sure the pads alignment is perfectly parallel to the disc? Bad installation means poor braking. It's trial and error, there isn't a rule

Agree with all of that. When I got my tricross, the front brake was set up badly, dragging a lot and no braking power.. I followed Avid's instructions and just couldn't get it right. I ended up taking the calliper off and noticed the tab on the outboard pad had marked the frame. This was the reason the calliper couldn't be aligned properly. I hacksawed the tab off, I checked I could remove and refit the pad easily (I could) and then refitted the calliper. It was instantly better and after some rotor straightening it seems a lot better. I now set the inboard pad so it skims the rotor with a slightly audible 'whir', it doesn't prevent the wheel turning freely and gives a nice lever feel. I tend to be a bit digital with brakes (on/off) so I like them to bite early in the travel.

Heres a pic, you can see how the mounting post obscures the remaining tab on the inboard pad. Bit of a design flaw by Specialized there :( On the Spyre, the tabs are at the back of the calliper, secured with a cotter pin, so this problem doesn't occur.
    Untitled_zps7902c01f.jpg
  • That routing really doesn't look right to me. There's no way that hose/cable should be inside the fork.

It doesn't look right and it doesn't make sense to route the cable there but there is small bracket screwed into the inside top of the fork so it looks like thats how they have designed it.

Does anyone know of a support email address for giant so I can query this with them? It would be interesting to see if the more expensive models have the cable routed the same way.

I could ask the giant store I bought it from but I don't think they will know. The impression I got was that the only experience of the bike was seeing mine in the store waiting for me to collect it. They were unaware of the rattly levers on the new SRAM hydraulic disc brakes until I showed them.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    ^i will have a look at mine when I get back on weds evening

It doesn't look right and it doesn't make sense to route the cable there but there is small bracket screwed into the inside top of the fork so it looks like thats how they have designed it.

Does anyone know of a support email address for giant so I can query this with them? It would be interesting to see if the more expensive models have the cable routed the same way.

I could ask the giant store I bought it from but I don't think they will know. The impression I got was that the only experience of the bike was seeing mine in the store waiting for me to collect it. They were unaware of the rattly levers on the new SRAM hydraulic disc brakes until I showed them.

You should route the cable from the outside of the fork inwards toward the centre. The mounting point is there so you hold it from going INTO the wheel.
  • You should route the cable from the outside of the fork inwards toward the centre. The mounting point is there so you hold it from going INTO the wheel.

I understand the mounting point is to stop the cable going into the wheel but wouldn't it be logical to put this on the outside of the fork. Then the cable would not run between the wheel and the fork and not ruin the extra clearance they have built into the fork?

This is how it arrived from Giant. I've emailed Giant querying this but haven't received a reply yet.

DSC_1021.jpg
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    10947503223_08f7fba474_o.jpg
  • You should route the cable from the outside of the fork inwards toward the centre. The mounting point is there so you hold it from going INTO the wheel.

I understand the mounting point is to stop the cable going into the wheel but wouldn't it be logical to put this on the outside of the fork. Then the cable would not run between the wheel and the fork and not ruin the extra clearance they have built into the fork?

This is how it arrived from Giant. I've emailed Giant querying this but haven't received a reply yet.

DSC_1021.jpg

I would waiver a guess that they installed it wrong. The cable should go through the mounting point after passing outside the fork. It will be placed where it is to get it in a good line with the levers most likely.

Wait and see what they say, I could be wrong.
  • Caller
    Caller Posts: 124
    VamP wrote:

That looks fantastic :D
  • VamP wrote:
    Nice..what is the groupset on that out of interest?
  • There's a couple of photo's here that kind of show the TCX cable hasn't been installed correctly (assuming this link works!)

http://www.53x11.cz/clanek/30964-giant-tcx-slr-2/
  • Yup, going on those pictures it was definitely installed incorrectly. I have never seen a mountain bike with disc brake outers routed through the fork, thought it looked odd.
  • Caller wrote:
    VamP wrote:

That looks fantastic :D

Dugast? Show off... :wink:
    What rims are these?
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    creightonv wrote:
    VamP wrote:
    Nice..what is the groupset on that out of interest?

Ultegra, with the CX70 chainset, and the medium cage RD. Front single chainring is the 36T from the CX70 with a e*thirteen CX chaincatcher. Brakes are Avid Ultimates. Weighs in at 7.1 kg as it stands in that pic.

Love it.

@ugo.santalucia - the rims are Farsports 38mm tubulars - I've just glued them up and it's bit of an experiment to see if they survive the deep end of the cross season. If yes, I'll probably buy a whole batch of them as my old alloy tubs are all reaching the end of their life. They've done one race so far, no complaints yet, they are performing well. The Typhoons I got from Hargroves for £55 - it's pretty hard to find cheaper cross tubs than that TBH. Two years back I splashed out on some FMB supermuds - now that was a bit indulgent @£85 each.
  • I don't think the rims will give you any problem, protected as they are with big cross tyres they should be quite durable
  • steveurch
    steveurch Posts: 61
    edited November 2013
    Colin the 'Crosser, all covered in lovely Salisbury Plain mud. And yes, I know I'm probably breaking loads of unwritten rules with the 'guards, but they keep my arse dry!

DirtyColinbampw.jpg
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763

Also the routing of the front brake cable seems to be a bit of a design flaw. Plenty of clearance on the forks but the stick a cable in the gap to collect mud. I had to clear this out a number of times.

DSC_1021.jpg

See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Vyb9XoWrs
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Planet X XLS Flanders Frameset....

FRPXXLS_P1.jpg

That's a little brighter than the raw carbon version :D
    Simon
  • The Giant store have got back to me. They have passed my query to head office, now I just have to wait and see what they say.
    Like everyone has said it looks like its just been put together incorrectly. But that in itself is pretty bad as I bought it from a Giant store. You would have thought they would know how to put their own bikes together.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Planet X XLS Flanders Frameset....

FRPXXLS_P1.jpg

That's a little brighter than the raw carbon version :D
    Liking that!