Show us your Cross Bikes.

Comments

• max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    simonj wrote:
    Max888 wrote:
    Here's mine, only a handful of rides so far. First race on it tomorrow.

Felt F3X.
    Nice, what are the hybrid cable/hydraulic brakes like?

Really good. The brakes feel super positive and have a great modulation and allow me to use Ultegra/DA 11S. I'd prefer a sooner bite but I do run my road brakes very close. Having ridden mechanical disk brakes these are way ahead. I was braking later than everyone racing last Sunday. I have had a go with the new SRAM Red disk brakes and while they have a sooner bite they feel a bit meh to me. They will probably disintegrate racing cross, as most SRAM stuff does.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 286
    MikeWW wrote:
    383248_10151163978519419_1463099444_n.jpg

Mike - what wheels are these?
  • I wanted to have a go at cx ever since a round of the European tour came to Ipswich last year and this year I have decided to have a go in the Elmy's Cycles Eastern Region League. I had a budget to keep to just in case I didn't get on and it's getting close to Christmas and this is what I came up with. I had some base level Shimano bits that I took off my Allez and the wheels so all I had to get was the Frame courtesy of Graham Weigh, tyres and cantis courtesy of eBay. I took it for a blast on Saturday and found that the cassette is knackered so one is on order, but in total it's cost less than £300 to buy the bits.

Graham Weigh Aluminium cx frame
    Shimano Sora groupset
    Alex Classic wheels
    Tektro brakes
    Schwalbe CX pro tyres

DSC_0001_zpsec2ccda1.jpg
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Has anybody got or seen the new Cannondale CAAD X, the one with discs ?

I just missed buying a Planet X Dirty Disco before they went out of stock (don't ask, it's a long story), and am looking at the Cannondale as an alternative, rather than waiting for the DD to come back into stock.

Any opinions ? Any alternatives ? I'm already looking at the Boardman, but haven't fallen in love with it.

I want the bike for general use, some Adventure racing and maybe some Cyclo X and ultra light touring.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Heres mine Dozzina Camo ..... AC024 frame from Ican / miracle bike with rival

10083819376_1c4dc1efbd_c.jpg

10083732325_385226b2db_c.jpg

10083824365_e3d8de7aaa_c.jpg
  • rgasuk wrote:
    cr8x.jpg
    my addition to the family :lol:

Really nice! I've been thinking about a CX bike and one of the things I was planning to do with it is the ride up to Parkhead!
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Thanks , it's a nice ride up to there on the cx
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I bought this...
    9654157435_1f10018262.jpg

Turned it in to this...

10381573974_ec68da07e5.jpg

And very pleased with it I am, too.

Rob
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Cool, my bike too had minging yellow bar tape, looks much better in the black!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Cool, my bike too had minging yellow bar tape, looks much better in the black!

Overruled! :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Redjeep! wrote:
    Has anybody got or seen the new Cannondale CAAD X, the one with discs ?

I just missed buying a Planet X Dirty Disco before they went out of stock (don't ask, it's a long story), and am looking at the Cannondale as an alternative, rather than waiting for the DD to come back into stock.

Any opinions ? Any alternatives ? I'm already looking at the Boardman, but haven't fallen in love with it.

I want the bike for general use, some Adventure racing and maybe some Cyclo X and ultra light touring.

ironically my Dirty Disco was recently stolen (along with my Boardman CX), so I replaced the disco with a new Cannondale CAADX Ultegra Disc 2014)

i loved the disco as was gutted to lose it, so buying the CAADX felt like i was settling for a choice i'd been "forced" into (I had a 1500 quid evans insurance replacement voucher to spend) but so far i'd say that the CAADX better than the disco - it just feels much more *solid* than the disco did, admittedly the brakes aren't as good as the BB7's on the disco, and i did prefer rival over ultegra (so far....although i'm sure it still needs time to bed in and get tuned when i take it back to the shop for the follow up check), but i wouldn't go back to the disco
  • Here's mine. Bought 2nd hand off eBay but I love it. It's been raced once by me but hibernating while waiting for the new baby to arrive (she's late). Can't wait to get it muddy again.
  • Here's mine, picked up last weekend.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Here's mine, picked up last weekend.

Nice bike .. looks v familiar :mrgreen:
    Simon
  • Viner_zps567d37e5.jpg

Bought recently second hand. Lots of work to be done. Ha just had new brake and shifter cables, cassette and chain. I have a 105 compact Im considering putting on, but I may go for a proper cross chainset. The horrid saddle has gone for a new Charge Spoon.

And, of course, a little bling :) Some blue headset spacers,a blue seatpost collar...... and I may even get some blue Avid brakes :)

Had never heard of Viner till I bought it! Seems quite a popular bike amongst its owners, and Im happy with it. Was bought primarily as a winter bike to get the Addict indoors and away from the salt, but, I have already indulged in a fair bit of off road, and will be doing my first cross race in a couple of weeks :)

CX bikes are the future, in winter at least! :D
    Scott Addict R3
    Boardman CX 2014
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I would go for a proper cross chain set. I rarely get out of the small ring in a cross race! (But then I'm not too quick)
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Here's my new steed ! An aluminium Lapierre Cross. I don't know what the difference in geometry between this an my normal road bikes is but its very comfy and make an excellent winter trainer

10759774486_963c53fa9e_b.jpg
  • I got back from Oz friday and went straight to the Giant shop to collect this.

TCXSLR2-1.jpg

I'm still suffering from jetlag so haven't been out on it yet. I cant wait to get it muddy!
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • That looks lovely, but that white bar tape is going to get ugly if you ride it properly!
  • It still amazes me that they put white tape on bikes meant for cross. Lovely looking Giant though!
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Clean

photo_zps9a9c0f60.jpg

Dirty

photo_zps6a9d1915.jpg
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Serious lack of mud. You can still read stickers.

Disappointed :(;)
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I got back from Oz friday and went straight to the Giant shop to collect this.

TCXSLR2-1.jpg

I'm still suffering from jetlag so haven't been out on it yet. I cant wait to get it muddy!

How heavy is it ? Thanks
  • I got back from Oz friday and went straight to the Giant shop to collect this.

TCXSLR2-1.jpg

This is the dog's boxxocks, awesome!!
    left the forum March 2023
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    It still amazes me that they put white tape on bikes meant for cross. Lovely looking Giant though!

Two words. Fizik Microtex.
  • frazered
    edited November 2013
    just after maiden voyage for a quick 30mins blast on some local trails and road at lunch whilst working at home

dork disc, reflector and bell still present, stem swapped for spesh 90mm. brakes need tightening a little as too much travel in the levers at present. M/L frame.

DSCF2528_zps0c780b72.jpg
    stem flipped!, prob drop some of the spacers soon as well after settling into it :wink:
  • frazered wrote:
    just after maiden voyage for a quick 30mins blast on some local trails and road at lunch whilst working at home

dork disc, reflector and bell still present, stem swapped for spesh 90mm. brakes need tightening a little as too much travel in the levers at present. M/L frame.

DSCF2518_zpsc8e04876.jpg

Flip the stem!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Looking forward to getting out on this later. Feels quite different to the Boardman CX.

kinesis_zpsba660b51.jpg
  • frazered
    in a better way I assume? looks great. prob a bit lower slung and more race like?
  • frazered wrote:
    in a better way I assume? looks great. prob a bit lower slung and more race like?
    Hi, yes easier to carry with smaller tubes. Seems to turn sharper and its a tiny bit shorter and lower than the Boardman which makes it feel a bit more lively! Brakes are hopeless though, prolly fit BB7's