Vuelta stage 11 *spoiler*

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm not sure you can draw any WC conclusions from a course on which Nico finishs 1.48 down on Cancellara
    Yep. Cancellara, who has at least one eye on the hilly RR is pretty slim right now, while Martin who only has eyes for the pancake flat TT isn't. So it's no wonder a TT course with a Cat 3 climb favours the slimmer man.

Tony Martin probably weighs 5kg less than cancellara, its fairly obvious just looking at them that fabian is much heavier.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm not sure you can draw any WC conclusions from a course on which Nico finishs 1.48 down on Cancellara
    Yep. Cancellara, who has at least one eye on the hilly RR is pretty slim right now, while Martin who only has eyes for the pancake flat TT isn't. So it's no wonder a TT course with a Cat 3 climb favours the slimmer man.

Tony Martin probably weighs 5kg less than cancellara, its fairly obvious just looking at them that fabian is much heavier.

Fabs has been dropping some weight for the Worlds RR, whilst Martin's been putting on a bit for the TT
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    okgo wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

But compared to their usual physique, Cancellara is clearly the relatively lighter one at the moment. He's clearly lost some weight, which wont make any difference on a flat TT, but will on a TT with a climb in it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    Pozzo 3rd in a TT behind two of the three best in the world? This race is getting stranger by the day (yes, I know there was a climb but it wasn't huge and there was a long descent).

WTF is wrong with Henao? I thought he'd have been in contention for the stage on Monday and he should be at least contending with Roche / Pozzo / Horner etc., he hasn't been over-raced lately either.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2013
    Pross wrote:
    Pozzo 3rd in a TT behind two of the three best in the world? This race is getting stranger by the day (yes, I know there was a climb but it wasn't huge and there was a long descent).

WTF is wrong with Henao? I thought he'd have been in contention for the stage on Monday and he should be at least contending with Roche / Pozzo / Horner etc., he hasn't been over-raced lately either.

Pozzovivo.. I'm scratching my head myself, to be honest....

As for Henao, search me. Uran and Henao have this history in a GT( see last year's Giro especially) of having alternate good days and bad days between them, but at this race Henao's been badly off the pace most of the time.
  • dsoutar wrote:
    Yet is still one of 3 in the hunt (we can forget Roche) ... Which helps the racing as Valverde tends to leech to the top and try to sneak a win & time bonus from around 400m (800m if J-Rod is also around ... but he is now hoping the others crack) ...

I presume the spelling was unintentional

Or maybe it wasn't !

'Twas to be read as written ... Seemed like the best word to describe his GT tactics ...
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    He just might not be as good a GT rider as some people have been making him out to be.
  • Pross wrote:

The commentator on eurosport was incredulous at Possivivo' showing. I think he would have liked to have said surely he's had some "help" :wink:

I like Pozzo but that performance caused a raised eyebrow in my house TBH.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    He just might not be as good a GT rider as some people have been making him out to be.

Rich, I think his 9th place in his first GT - last year's Giro - might have been decent justification for optimism on that front -as well as finishing 14th in the Vuelta while working for Froome.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Rich, I think his 9th place in his first GT - last year's Giro - might have been decent justification for optimism on that front -as well as finishing 14th in the Vuelta while working for Froome.
    It showed a degree of ability, certainly. But he was 4th favourite going into this race. He really hasn't done much to merit that sort of status
  • RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

It showed a degree of ability, certainly. But he was 4th favourite going into this race. He really hasn't done much to merit that sort of status

No, would absolutely agree on that point, that's just silly
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

True. I think he's more suited to a L-B-L or Lombardia type hilly classic than a 3 week tour. It would be nice if he could be left to that sort of thing a trying to win GT stages. I'm still surprised how far out of contention he and Uran are though, I thought they'd be hitting top form ready for the Worlds.
  • Spare a thought for poor Kevin de Weert

http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en ... weert/1412
    Today during the Stage 11 La Vuelta time trial in a downhill section, Kevin De Weert crashed badly. He was immediately transported to the hospital Miguel Servet of Zaragoza where he was diagnosed with a fracture of the left tibia, a rupture of the patellar tendon of the left knee and also a fracture of the right collarbone. He was also diagnosed with a cervical fracture, without displacement and without neurological consequences.

De Weert never lost consciousness. More information about the medical condition of De Weert will be released tomorrow during the day.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    edited September 2013
    *double post*
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Just catching up with the ITV4 highlights and they showed Haimar Zubeldia finishing - he does exist!

They don't have pusher offers like that in the TTs I do, although that first bit of bumpy tarmac was more familiar (J-Rod lost his bidon after about 10 seconds)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    I'm not sure why Cancellara's main aim is the World's Road Race. I know he has a chance of it but over such a hilly course he won't be the favourite will he? And that's without all the other tactics and misfortunes that could work against him. I guess it's the one biggy he's capable of winning but has not managed so far and he has several TT titles under his belt.
    I think that’s it - he’s been saying for about 4 years that he wanted to win the WC RR, and at the Olympics 2012 it was also his priority.
    The Italian newpaper/website Gazzetta also reported today that his main intention at this year’s WC is the RR.
  • knedlicky
    Pozzo 1.24 down at the finish. I know he can TT well but still I fond that surprising though. Excellent ride by him up the climb and predictably he gave up loads on the descent.
    Pozzovivo thinks he would have done even better, had there not been a headwind, which affect lightweights like him more than those 20 kilo heavier.
    I’d feel less sceptical of his performance if the descents in the second half of the TT were steeper and a small tucked-in frame with little wind resistance might then do well, but from what I saw on TV there were also long, almost flat stretches, where Pozzovivo should have lost a lot of time, especially with a headwind. Hmmm.
  • knedlicky
    Valverde puncture.
    Valverde afterwards said he noticed right from the start that the mechanics seemed to have put too little air in the tyres, thus making them suspect to punctures.

He also said that underway he discovered his new skin suit was too tight, making it difficult for him to find his exact preferred saddle position – and a skinsuit change halfway along didn’t come into question, not out of modesty but because there were no others.
    Sloppy work, Movistar - don’t Sky have a range for Wiggins depending on how many pies he’s eaten in the weeks beforehand?

I like the absurdity of the excuse, but actually I can imagine it to be true. (I know more the opposite - increased chaffing, especially on descents, when shorts are just that bit too large)
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Pross wrote:

The commentator on eurosport was incredulous at Possivivo' showing. I think he would have liked to have said surely he's had some "help" :wink:

I think the great Wedding Disco DJ; Carlton Kirby did mention something in the line of Pozzo having at least 2 Shredded Wheat this morning which is blatantly a direct assumption that Pozzo is up to something and to be honest; that's what I felt it looked like to me. Crazy days!!

Is there some stuff kicking about which will give a rider a Great Day; like a one shot wonder? I think Horner got dropped the other day on a climb and the next he's almost a minute up. Does make me wonder but it's a fun way to race which keeps us guessing. Better than the metronomic days of LA where the time gaps by the GC riders would be the same on each Mountain top finish making the racing predictable.

Was Calton in a bad mood today as he kept on about the riders not pedalling right or moving on the bike? Think he needed that extra Shredded Wheat himself today. I don't mind Sean saying stuff about the rider's style but as Calton is an Amateur then really he should respect the riders a bit more. Cadence is an individual thing anyhow and some riders just look cr@p on a bike; as long as the watts are coming out then it's all good.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    SKY took another day off? Bet Big Dave is gonna have a few words with those boys pretty darn soon.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Great ride by Roche. He's throwing everything at this race. whether he can sustain it remains to be seen but you can't fault the effort and in truth a performance of this level is long overdue from him.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • According to the BBC, Horner had a bee fly into his mouth at the start of the TT.
    The 41-year-old was hampered by a bee flying into his mouth at the start of the stage.
    "It was disturbing and scary. I couldn't get it out. I also tried to swallow it. Eventually, I coughed it up," Horner said.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    According to the BBC, Horner had a bee fly into his mouth at the start of the TT.
    The 41-year-old was hampered by a bee flying into his mouth at the start of the stage.
    "It was disturbing and scary. I couldn't get it out. I also tried to swallow it. Eventually, I coughed it up," Horner said.

Didn't bother the Jensie when it happened to him - I thouigh Horner would have remembered that

http://road.cc/content/news/58531-jens- ... sce-videos
  • jerry3571 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I think the great Wedding Disco DJ; Carlton Kirby did mention something in the line of Pozzo having at least 2 Shredded Wheat this morning which is blatantly a direct assumption that Pozzo is up to something and to be honest; that's what I felt it looked like to me. Crazy days!!

Is there some stuff kicking about which will give a rider a Great Day; like a one shot wonder? I think Horner got dropped the other day on a climb and the next he's almost a minute up. Does make me wonder but it's a fun way to race which keeps us guessing. Better than the metronomic days of LA where the time gaps by the GC riders would be the same on each Mountain top finish making the racing predictable.

Was Calton in a bad mood today as he kept on about the riders not pedalling right or moving on the bike? Think he needed that extra Shredded Wheat himself today. I don't mind Sean saying stuff about the rider's style but as Calton is an Amateur then really he should respect the riders a bit more. Cadence is an individual thing anyhow and some riders just look cr@p on a bike; as long as the watts are coming out then it's all good.
    I think doping is less prelivent now and showings like Horners are perhaps indicative of cleanliness, can turn in an outstanding performance one day but knackered the next.
    I know it wasn't a typical TT but Pozzo excelled in a dicipline he's not noted for and that where my suspicion is seated.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    SKY took another day off? Bet Big Dave is gonna have a few words with those boys pretty darn soon.

To be fair Cataldo gave it a good go, and Uran put in a decent ride. Henao - still off the cliff. EBH - could have stopped for a picnic halfway around for all the hurry he was in.
  • Some of the photos are very good. Fabu`s legs are insanely large and he looks bigger than usual and Martin looks slimmer than usual.
    canc_zps0ba6bd71.jpg

Nibs sting:
    nibali.jpg

Pozzo:
    035-PIC393575833.jpg

Lol
    200-PIC393652392.jpg

Interesting comments re Valverde. He didnt look comfortable:
    085-PIC393587752.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • okgo
    Yes, he's at least 5kg bigger than Martin, always has been and always will be, he has that build, I doubt he could lose much weight even if he wanted to, you can see he has pretty low BF, he is chiseled, there aint much to loose there...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo
    Also laughable that Pozzo did that time with THAT position, give me a break, jesus christ look at him.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065

Pozzo:
    035-PIC393575833.jpg

Is he on normal road bike, just with TT bars and a disc wheel?
  • okgo wrote:
    Also laughable that Pozzo did that time with THAT position, give me a break, jesus christ look at him.

He redefines aero, he really does