Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Horner 42secs down at 11ks

Or not. Who knows?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    As Astana is a member of the MPCC, Nibali has been unable to treat the wasp sting with cortisone, and so he is apparently in some discomfort

He has a swollen forehead too so the aero helmet must be causing some discomfort.

He must also be in danger of falling foul of a no needles policy for the injection of wasp venom.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Pross wrote:
    I'm not sure why Cancellara's main aim is the World's Road Race. I know he has a chance of it but over such a hilly course he won't be the favourite will he? And that's without all the other tactics and misfortunes that could work against him. I guess it's the one biggy he's capable of winning but has not managed so far and he has several TT titles under his belt.

Flanders is pretty hilly isn't it?

He was shelling people left right and center up that climb the other day too when on the front...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    you just have to love the organization at the Vuelta
  • BTU-JdZIgAAWM87.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pozzo down 30secs at 26ks tho so losing a lot of time on the descent.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Pozzovivo still faster than Martin at 26K??
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    okgo wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I'm not sure why Cancellara's main aim is the World's Road Race. I know he has a chance of it but over such a hilly course he won't be the favourite will he? And that's without all the other tactics and misfortunes that could work against him. I guess it's the one biggy he's capable of winning but has not managed so far and he has several TT titles under his belt.

Flanders is pretty hilly isn't it?

He was shelling people left right and center up that climb the other day too when on the front...

The worlds has a total of 45km of climbing in the final 166km on the finishing circuit. A 4.5km climb is a bit different to the bergs in Flanders. That said, I believe it's not a dis-similar course to Mendrisio in 2009 and Canc did OK there - he's capable of winning but I wouldn't have him as favourite and would think the TT offers him the better chance of a win.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    As Astana is a member of the MPCC, Nibali has been unable to treat the wasp sting with cortisone, and so he is apparently in some discomfort

He has a swollen forehead too so the aero helmet must be causing some discomfort.

Perfect example of the stupidity of the rules on glucocotricoids. He would have to use a colossal amout to affect his endogenous levels.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Pozzovivo's time apparently "under review"
  • adr82 wrote:
    Pozzovivo still faster than Martin at 26K??

By 4 seconds...unless the timing is incorrect.
  • Crampeur
    Still came in only about 1:20 down?
  • Pozzo 1.24 down at the finish. I know he can TT well but still I fond that surprising though. Excellent ride by him up the climb and predictably he gave up loads on the descent.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Domenico Pozzovivo (Ag2r-La Mondiale) has the third best time at the finish line, 1:24 down on Cancellara and just 47 seconds down on Tony Martin.

If any of this is true (but who knows?) its going to make Wiggo feel a bit better I think.
  • Nibali got so much more class and style than Froome. And he has a normal physique unlike the unnaturally thin Froome.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Nibali got so much more class and style than Froome. And he has a normal physique unlike the unnaturally thin Froome.
    He's not even in this race Frenchie, dial the obsession down a notch.
  • Nibali got so much more class and style than Froome. And he has a normal physique unlike the unnaturally thin Froome.

No.

I have a 'normal' physique. :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Nibali got so much more class and style than Froome. And he has a normal physique unlike the unnaturally thin Froome.
    Yet Nibali (1.80m, 63kg) has a lower BMI than Froome (1.86m, 68kg)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Crampeur
    Roche @ 1:48
  • Good ride from Roche
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited September 2013
    I'm not sure you can draw any WC conclusions from a course on which Nico finishs 1.48 down on Cancellara
  • BTVE-owIAAEfrgR.jpg
  • Horner is going to get smoked today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yet Nibali (1.80m, 63kg) has a lower BMI than Froome (1.86m, 68kg)

Nibali also has a slightly horse-like face, which being Sicilian I suppose is ironic.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm not sure you can draw any WC conclusions from a course on which Nico finishs 1.48 down on Cancellara
    Yep. Cancellara, who has at least one eye on the hilly RR is pretty slim right now, while Martin who only has eyes for the pancake flat TT isn't. So it's no wonder a TT course with a Cat 3 climb favours the slimmer man.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dsoutar
    edited September 2013
    Horner is still <20 secs off the lead I make it

Edit: Whoops - brain sezure. Trying to do emails, spreadsheets and keep up with the cycling led to meltdown
  • Horner is going to get smoked today.

Yet is still one of 3 in the hunt (we can forget Roche) ... Which helps the racing as Valverde tends to leech to the top and try to sneak a win & time bonus from around 400m (800m if J-Rod is also around ... but he is now hoping the others crack) ...
  • dsoutar wrote:
    Horner is still <20 secs off the lead I make it

Uh-uh

1, Nibz
    2. Roche +33"
    3. Valverde +46"
    4. Horner +46"
    5. J-Rod +2'33"
  • Result:
    1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) RadioShack Leopard 0:51:00
    2 Tony Martin (Ger) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 0:00:37
    3 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:24
    4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:25
    5 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Sky Procycling 0:01:41
    6 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:01:48
    7 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:52
    8 Jerome Coppel (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits 0:01:52
    9 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team 0:01:53
    10 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:02:13

General classification after stage 11

1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 41:22:22
    2 Nicolas Roche (Irl) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:00:33
    3 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:46
    4 Christopher Horner (USA) RadioShack Leopard 0:00:46
    5 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha 0:02:33
    6 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:44
    7 Ivan Basso (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:02:55
    8 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:03:35
    9 Rafal Majka (Pol) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:03:46
    10 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha 0:03:56
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    Yet is still one of 3 in the hunt (we can forget Roche) ... Which helps the racing as Valverde tends to leech to the top and try to sneak a win & time bonus from around 400m (800m if J-Rod is also around ... but he is now hoping the others crack) ...

I presume the spelling was unintentional

Or maybe it wasn't !