Vuelta stage 11 *spoiler*

thomthom
thomthom Posts: 3,574
edited September 2013 in Pro race
profile-11.jpg

Comments

• thomthom
    Not even the TT is flat. Unless Tony and Fabi really do an effort it will be the same names stealing the show like it's been in 90% of the stages.

A bit variation wouldn't hurt, eh..
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Not even the TT is flat. Unless Tony and Fabi really do an effort it will be the same names stealing the show like it's been in 90% of the stages.

A bit variation wouldn't hurt, eh..

Its the Vuelta, innit. They not like the flat TTs that suit the big engines. It'd kill them to put in a flat one.

This was last year's:
    http://acnotebookatlas.wordpress.com/20 ... 1-profile/
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Will we see bike switching?
  • On current form it must undisputably be Horner's TT
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • cesco wrote:
    Will we see bike switching?

Might not be needed, by my calculations the average gradient of the climb is 4.1% (370m of ascent over 9km). Der Panzerwagen for the win in my opinion.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    The way Fab has been riding that hill should present no problems and Martin isn't bad going uphill, just not good enough to stay with the top climbers. I would say both are so much better time triallists than anyone else in the field that it will more than make up for anything they lose on a hill.
  • Hi all, cheers for posting up my preview link, I spotted I was getting traffic from Bikeradar today, was wondering why! New to the forum, look forward to discussing the Vuelta and more with you, hopefully we can make some $$ while we are at it!

Horner isn't a great TT'er compared to the top guys, lost 20" to Nibali over 9km, this is 4 times longer - I can see Nibali riding in to red tomorrow. Doubt they will bike switch, the hill is not too steep and they will hammer it down the last 20m at 60kmph avg I would say.

Ian
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Is it at all twisty on the 'descent'?
  • Not too bad I think, Martin has said this afternoon that he has ridden the course and he is very happy with it, that the climb isn't too bad and he will really be able to put the power down over the last 20km. He sounds pretty confident..
  • world tt shaping up as a great battle
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Totally. Looking forward to it as much as the road race
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    world tt shaping up as a great battle

Totally. Looking forward to it as much as the road race

Couldn't agree more. Very intriguing. Fingers crossed Dowsett can carry over the form from earlier in the season

Battle between who?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Tony Martin, Bradley Wiggins and Fabian Cancellara.
    Dowsett for best of the rest?

Battle between who?

Martin v Wiggins v Cancellara v Phinney

That's as good a quality field as you're likely to see.

I predict that order with a big gap from Martin to Wiggins.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I can see Wiggo winning it (after he's put on his 8lbs)
  • Fair enough. I forgot about Wiggins but hope Martin blows him out the water. Cancellara is not on it yet and Phinney is not quite there yet.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    You can't dislike Wiggo, he's a legend
  • joelsim
    Any live streams available before the Eurosport coverage starts at 3?
  • thomthom
    Wiggins won't win the WC.
  • joelsim
    Just been looking at Horner's ITT results from 2007 onwards. If he gets a really good time today (ie top 10) then there is definitely something fishy going on.
  • joelsim
    ThomThom wrote:

What makes you say that? If he can recapture his 2012 form then surely he is in with a chance? He put 42 seconds into TM and over 2 mins into FC at the Olympics. And beat them both comprehensively at the Tour (albeit TM was injured).

Is Froome racing this?
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Joelsim wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

What makes you say that? If he can recapture his 2012 form then surely he is in with a chance? He put 42 seconds into TM and over 2 mins into FC at the Olympics. And beat them both comprehensively at the Tour (albeit TM was injured).

Is Froome racing this?

If he puts his mind to it Wiggins will win it. If he is not 100% motivated he will not. If his focus is there he will be very, very difficult to beat.
  • joelsim
    mike6 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Is Froome racing this?

If he puts his mind to it Wiggins will win it. If he is not 100% motivated he will not. If his focus is there he will be very, very difficult to beat.

I agree and from what he's been saying, this is his only aim this year, no more grand tours, and then back to track for the next Olympics.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Is Froome racing this?

The IF is the all-important qualifier.

From what we've seen over the last few weeks, Wiggins probably has the beating of Cancellara. Question is whether he has the beating of Martin.

Last year was an odd year. He beat Martin in both of the 2 x TTs in which they met before Martin had his crash in Apr. He beat Martin in the Dauphine TT. He beat both Martin and Cancellara in the first TT at the Tour - as you say, though, Martin had crashed and was nursing a broken scaphoid. Both then abandoned the Tour. After that it was the Olympic TT - Cancellara had crashed in the road race, to be fair, but Wiggins was just unbeatable anyway.

When it comes down to it, last year's results dont mean very much when they line up next month.

Froome's not arsed about the Worlds TT, wants to concentrate on the road race - Dowsett will be the 2nd GB rider for the TT alongside Wiggins.

And as a big Wiggins fan...got to say Martin is looking absolutely superb right now...
  • joelsim
    That's a pretty good summation RR
  • The IF is the all-important qualifier.

I honestly think IF Tony Martin were British no one on the forum would even be mentioning Wiggins as anything else other than the number 2 of a British 1-2.

Still. We'll find out soon enough.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The IF is the all-important qualifier.

I honestly think IF Tony Martin were British no one on the forum would even be mentioning Wiggins as anything else other than the number 2 of a British 1-2.

Still. We'll find out soon enough.

Indeed :)
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    when does it start?