Tdf Stage 19 *** Spoilers*** Bourg - Le Grand Bornand

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Heres hoping J-Rod tries some more stunts today...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Alan A wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Do we know what happened to TJ's bike yesterday?
    How did he get that spare?
    Lost 40 seconds in that incident.

His team car was immediately behind him. Remember the breakaway had over 7 minutes so all 9 had their team cars with them.

I didn't see that on the telly box - but it was ITV4.
    If his team car had not been there - is there any spares available from neutral service?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    goonz wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Oh and it's a 10am start on ITV4 :shock:

Awesome intro mate, but are there no more geology posts?

Everyone sulked then my manager gave me some actual real work to do...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Could be an epic day. Or they could all have a big rest after yesterday.
    exercise.png
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

His team car was immediately behind him. Remember the breakaway had over 7 minutes so all 9 had their team cars with them.

If his team car had not been there - is there any spares available from neutral service?

Mavic neutral service has some badged up cannondales with toeclips for the unfrtunate to ride whilst they wait for a team car.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583

I don't think it's as dangerous in a professional race. I think in the 4 marmottes I've done I've seen 1 certainly fatal accident as it happened and the aftermath of 2 that looked really ugly on the hairpins at the top. That's why they only let people down in groups of 20 or so now.

Further down where you can really get some speed up I've seen just poor descending skills result in innocent parties gettin flipped over the wooden guardrail in the meadows and a friend got T-BOned on a bend and ended the day in an ambulence with a badly twisted knee.

As you get towards the bottom, the main danger is cars coming up the other way, although what idiot drives up there the morning he must know there are 10,000 wannabe pro cyclists speeding the other way escapes me.

In conclusion, on a closed road with a decent level of skill, I don't think it's that bad a descent. Although it is certainly fast.

In last year's Marmotte there was guy going up in a recumbent cycle. A farking Recumbent!!

10,000 of us zooming down, he was in the shade, I missed him by inches.

Glandon is an excellent descent. I don't think it is anymore dangerous than most alpince passes, the difference is the speed you get very early on and the very very tight corners. That plus thanks to Marmotte etc it is a very popular climb for people who have little or no previous experience of descending alpine roads.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Alan A wrote:
    The cows

abondance-cows-in-chinaillon-crop.jpg

Those are lovely cows.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • alan_a
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Team & Mavic cars easily seen from the helicopter shots earlier on the way up the climb.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    Let's hope Froome has packed his sandwiches this morning.

3 weetabix this morning..

The Clinic are reporting 3 shredded wheat. They're not happy about it, they're certain it isn't within the bounds of natural human physiology.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • alan_a
    edited July 2013
    He has some nice diagrams of the igneous layers but he won't post them just now.

:lol:

Geology, you want GEOLOGY

At the start town I can give you a whole museum of geology

970__350__crop__%7Ewp-content%7Euploads%7E2012%7E06%7EMus%C3%A9e-des-Min%C3%A9raux-et-de-la-Faune-des-Alpes.jpg

http://bourgdoisans.com/fr/village-patrimoine/musee

mus_mineraux-faune_05.jpg

THE MUSEUM OF MINERALS

is located in the attic of the church of Bourg d'Oisans. It is accessed through a building to the left of the church. The richness of its mineral collection and dynamic staging of wildlife make it a great place to discover the natural and cultural heritage of the Oisans.
    Each year new temporary exhibitions are presented.

THE MINERALOGY

Pyrite

The landscapes of the Oisans bear traces of six centuries of mining. The mineral wealth of the Oisans are known and recognized worldwide. The Museum presents this fabulous cultural heritage, the first collection of French Alpine minerals, which impresses with its exceptional quality and beauty of the exhibits.

Twin Quartz

THE PALEONTOLOGY

Paleontology

An exhibition called "Life in the Mesozoic era" recreates the landscape and life in the Mesozoic era through four large frescoes: the TRIAS and hypersaline lagoons have emerged the very first dinosaurs, the Jurassic with the tremendous development ammonites in the sea, finally CRETACEOUS with the appearance of the first flowering plants and its tragic end for many living species. A fourth window is dedicated to the Ammonites and their diversification during this era. This is a realization of expostion Dauphinois Club of Mineralogy and Paleontology of Grenoble and the Centre Geology Oisans.

WILDLIFE OF THE ALPS

Wildlife

In a cozy atmosphere, inhabited by the sounds of nature, we enter into the intimacy of the finest specimens of the fauna of the Alps.
    Animals disappeared or become rare, protected and most common species, over 140 species are presented in a surprisingly lively exhibition, where each animal is returned to its natural environment restored.
    You'll find the balance that govern the alpine environment, and understand how they can sometimes be fragile.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oh and today's song:

Jacques Brel's "Madeleine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRCBpMmhrgg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Alan A wrote:
    Glandon is an excellent descent. I don't think it is anymore dangerous than most alpince passes, the difference is the speed you get very early on and the very very tight corners. That plus thanks to Marmotte etc it is a very popular climb for people who have little or no previous experience of descending alpine roads.

Agreed.

There's some terrible descending skills on show in the Marmotte. That made it more dangerous.
    exercise.png
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Alan A wrote:
    The cows

abondance-cows-in-chinaillon-crop.jpg

Those are lovely cows.

I thought you were above all that :D

Be interesting to see what Katusha do - theres potential for them to work with sky and dislodge Quintana, or work with Movistar and attack Contador - going to be a tough day for Kreuziger I reckon - I wonder why people keep calling him Kreuzinger - is it an insult in Czechoslovakian :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ddraver
    Alan A wrote:
    Awesome stuff

Huh....I should actually have look today....
    - @ddraver
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Oh and today's song:

I would like to dedicate this stage to Bompette, who goes by the name of Madeleine in the real world, and could probably (at the age of 13) beat most of you up it.
  • disgruntledgoat
    TheStone wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

Agreed.

There's some terrible descending skills on show in the Marmotte. That made it more dangerous.

I do like the Euro guys who get up all that speed and it's like they've never considered they'll have to lose some of it to get round the corners.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    That museum is dreck though. The Fauna one is OK, but a lot of them are stuffed.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I`m guessing about page 40 is when I should start to follow the spoiler.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited July 2013
    EDIT: ?? weird double post appearing minutes later ??
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

The Clinic are reporting 3 shredded wheat. They're not happy about it, they're certain it isn't within the bounds of natural human physiology.

Cereal doper
  • ddraver
    bompington wrote:
    Oh and today's song:

I would like to dedicate this stage to Bompette, who goes by the name of Madeleine in the real world, and could probably (at the age of 13) beat most of you up it.

Challenge-Accepted-500x371.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    oneof1982 wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

Cereal doper
    Oh that is good, chapeau!
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Depends, if you want to have a laugh along the way keep reading, if you only want to read the garbage we post for the last few Km's start at page 40.
  • alan_a

Nope. Flag about to drop and it will be a mental first 30 minutes.

After that ignore until about 2pm.

I predict the first proper break of more than 10 secs will be as they climb the dam.
  • alan_a
    And we are racing!

BMC & CARROTTS GO BOOOOOOOM
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    oneof1982 wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

Cereal doper
    Oh that is good, chapeau!

I hope his shredded wheat is not crammed with Ergot.
  • alan_a
    Lars Bak (lot) & Izzaguirie have 100m on a very slow peleton
  • oneof1982
    Looking at Quintana today. 21 seconds away froma second place. Gives Movistar the incentive to share responsibilities with Sky. Will Saxo come up with something? Don't see it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Paging ThomThom! Paging ThomThom!
    LARS BAK IN BREAK ALERT!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • oneof1982
    I love the start of this climb, up the damm.