coldelamadeleine1.jpg

The profiles

PROFIL.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

PROFILKMS.png

the tricky first descent that has killed many amateur cyclists

Glandon+Descent%231.JPG

The Crash edit: on a totally unrelated piece of road. looking for the correct image. whooops

rodgers-crash-sequence.jpg

The cows

abondance-cows-in-chinaillon-crop.jpg

The meat & The wine

sitraCOS347838_terroir-montagnard_223.jpg

The Cheese

Reblochon%20Cheese.jpg

EDIT to include

Geology, you want GEOLOGY

At the start town I can give you a whole museum of geology

970__350__crop__%7Ewp-content%7Euploads%7E2012%7E06%7EMus%C3%A9e-des-Min%C3%A9raux-et-de-la-Faune-des-Alpes.jpg

http://bourgdoisans.com/fr/village-patrimoine/musee

mus_mineraux-faune_05.jpg

THE MUSEUM OF MINERALS

is located in the attic of the church of Bourg d'Oisans. It is accessed through a building to the left of the church. The richness of its mineral collection and dynamic staging of wildlife make it a great place to discover the natural and cultural heritage of the Oisans.
Each year new temporary exhibitions are presented.

THE MINERALOGY

Pyrite

The landscapes of the Oisans bear traces of six centuries of mining. The mineral wealth of the Oisans are known and recognized worldwide. The Museum presents this fabulous cultural heritage, the first collection of French Alpine minerals, which impresses with its exceptional quality and beauty of the exhibits.

Twin Quartz

THE PALEONTOLOGY

Paleontology

An exhibition called "Life in the Mesozoic era" recreates the landscape and life in the Mesozoic era through four large frescoes: the TRIAS and hypersaline lagoons have emerged the very first dinosaurs, the Jurassic with the tremendous development ammonites in the sea, finally CRETACEOUS with the appearance of the first flowering plants and its tragic end for many living species. A fourth window is dedicated to the Ammonites and their diversification during this era. This is a realization of expostion Dauphinois Club of Mineralogy and Paleontology of Grenoble and the Centre Geology Oisans.

WILDLIFE OF THE ALPS

Wildlife

In a cozy atmosphere, inhabited by the sounds of nature, we enter into the intimacy of the finest specimens of the fauna of the Alps.
Animals disappeared or become rare, protected and most common species, over 140 species are presented in a surprisingly lively exhibition, where each animal is returned to its natural environment restored.
You'll find the balance that govern the alpine environment, and understand how they can sometimes be fragile.

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Oh and it's a 10am start on ITV4 :shock:
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Superb Intro Alan!

Well done Sir!!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Is that descent the Glandon or the Croix de Fer?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Superb Intro Alan!

Well done Sir!!
    Indeed epic intro. Stage details, stage history, food and cows. Stage intro complete! Didn't realise it was an early start, wife's not going to be happy, supposed to be cleaning the gite before we head back to blighty tomorrow. Think I'll bagsy cleaning the area around the TV!
  • Mike03776
    Mike03776 Posts: 40
    edited July 2013
    Gonna be a corker! NIce intro!
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Don't know about the riders but I'm still knackered from yesterday, good luck to them as they force down their porridge and get ready for more of the same.

Can they manage another start like yesterday or will it be a truce for even the Glandon?
  • alan_a
    nevman wrote:

Glandon, Maurienne valley side from 1st corner looking due west.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Don't know about the riders but I'm still knackered from yesterday, good luck to them as they force down their porridge and get ready for more of the same.

Can they manage another start like yesterday or will it be a truce for even the Glandon?
    I imagine there is a decent chance the stage will be won by an escapee so I'd expect a decent battle to be part of the break. I'm guessing a GC truce until the Col de la Croix Fry with everyone knackered after yesterday but hope I'm wrong.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I've seen things on the descent of the Glandon... bad things.

And I forgot to set the Sky box this morning. Bum.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Alan A wrote:
    nevman wrote:

This is the descent which is neutralsied in La Marmotte. It's pretty spectacular.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206

Have you got a smartphone? If so, download the Sky Plus app and you can login to your account and set the recording from your phone.
  • disgruntledgoat
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    nevman wrote:

This is the descent which is neutralsied in La Marmotte. It's pretty spectacular.

That's the thing I saw... The reason it is now neutralised.

It is a cracking descent though, banked hairpins at the top, gorgeous alpine meadows after that and a fast run under some trees down into the Maurienne valley. Always looks great on telly too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    MrTapir wrote:

Have you got a smartphone? If so, download the Sky Plus app and you can login to your account and set the recording from your phone.

I have that, but I have a lead lined workplace, I may skulk off for a bit in a while.

@gietvangent
  • MrTapir
    That caption on the pic with the woman spectator is wrong. Knowing Schleck he would definitely have a peek.

Why do you think the pros all wear dark glasses?
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    That Rogers crash, isn't that from cormet du roseland on the 2007 tour?
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    nevman wrote:

It is a cracking descent though, banked hairpins at the top, gorgeous alpine meadows after that and a fast run under some trees down into the Maurienne valley. Always looks great on telly too.
    Way more dangerous than the Sarenne.I thought the Tour had stopped using this descent.Still reflecting on this years Marmotte as well
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Chapeau Alan for the thread-initiating post.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Excellent profile - chapeau.

Hope Froome doesnt read it before he sets off - all that food will make him peckish again :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • disgruntledgoat
    nevman wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    nevman wrote:

Way more dangerous than the Sarenne.I thought the Tour had stopped using this descent.Still reflecting on this years Marmotte as well

I don't think it's as dangerous in a professional race. I think in the 4 marmottes I've done I've seen 1 certainly fatal accident as it happened and the aftermath of 2 that looked really ugly on the hairpins at the top. That's why they only let people down in groups of 20 or so now.

Further down where you can really get some speed up I've seen just poor descending skills result in innocent parties gettin flipped over the wooden guardrail in the meadows and a friend got T-BOned on a bend and ended the day in an ambulence with a badly twisted knee.

As you get towards the bottom, the main danger is cars coming up the other way, although what idiot drives up there the morning he must know there are 10,000 wannabe pro cyclists speeding the other way escapes me.

In conclusion, on a closed road with a decent level of skill, I don't think it's that bad a descent. Although it is certainly fast.

@gietvangent
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Alan A wrote:
    Oh and it's a 10am start on ITV4 :shock:

Awesome intro mate, but are there no more geology posts?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • He has some nice diagrams of the igneous layers but he won't post them just now.
  • alan_a
    dave milne wrote:
    That Rogers crash, isn't that from cormet du roseland on the 2007 tour?

My mistake. Well spotted.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Do we know what happened to TJ's bike yesterday?
    How did he get that spare?
    Lost 40 seconds in that incident.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Let's hope Froome has packed his sandwiches this morning.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Daz555 wrote:

3 weetabix this morning..
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Daz555 wrote:

I was going to say, lets hope he has over indulged on pasta all last night and this morning!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • alan_a
    Oh and of course 1 man has a love hate relationship with the Col de Madeleine.

This image is of David Millar doing it in the other direction in 2009. On his own over 20 minutes behind the peleton.

6a00d8341c988c53ef013485720153970c-800wi
  • alan_a
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Do we know what happened to TJ's bike yesterday?
    How did he get that spare?
    Lost 40 seconds in that incident.

His team car was immediately behind him. Remember the breakaway had over 7 minutes so all 9 had their team cars with them.
  • MrTapir
    He has some nice diagrams of the igneous layers but he won't post them just now.

Chapeau Sir!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Spoiler thread set up this Tour has been superb well done all spoiler thread starters. I hope this can be maintained in other GT's and major races.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition