TDF 2013 Stage 18 L'Alpe d'Huez *Spoilers*

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    12 cyclists injured in separate accidents on ADH yesterday, some serious as the helicopter had to intervene.

Just spoke to the parents in law. They left Grenoble at 7am and have just arrived at ADH via Oz. It is "swarming" with huge queues to get the lift down to Huez.

Ecologists have threatened to block the Sarenne for 10 minutes after the lead rider goes through.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    tumblr_mpvr61SHk71sybm1zo1_500.png?0.7381514513399452

Kevin Reza has made INspector Clouseau an Honorary Europcar rider!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

Im guessing they'e swept it pretty well and while here are some big drop offs at the top most of it isn't like that once you startndescending proper - we'll just have to disagree i think the main danger of serious injury is hitting something solid at high speed and the Glandon seems worse in that regard to me. Both have an element of risk though and hopefully nobody is seriously hurt on either.

Didn't you say you had been in a race down Villa Reculas ? Now that must have been scarey - from memory the drop offs on that are worse than the Sarenne.

My Mrs was having kittens driving up all of those roads! She's probably not the person the TdF would employ to design the routes.

I've quite enjoyed them on the bike though (not done Sarenne yet).
  • davidof
    Mrs Gallopin

marion-rousse-cyclepassion-2012.jpg
    Instagramme
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    hammerite wrote:

Im guessing they'e swept it pretty well and while here are some big drop offs at the top most of it isn't like that once you startndescending proper - we'll just have to disagree i think the main danger of serious injury is hitting something solid at high speed and the Glandon seems worse in that regard to me. Both have an element of risk though and hopefully nobody is seriously hurt on either.

Didn't you say you had been in a race down Villa Reculas ? Now that must have been scarey - from memory the drop offs on that are worse than the Sarenne.

My Mrs was having kittens driving up all of those roads! She's probably not the person the TdF would employ to design the routes.

I've quite enjoyed them on the bike though (not done Sarenne yet).

This is true. And I wasn't very chuffed at that either.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I'd cycle right past that........NOT!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Plus that's what I think they should say to Contador, they don't actually have to do it. As the risk is greater for Contador than Froome can you really see him allowing Quintana to gain ANY time, even 1 min would be too much from Contador's perspective while Froome could live with it (I agree 2-3 min may be too much for Sky but it's definitely too much for Saxo-Tinkoff).

Contador will have no choice in "allowing" Quintana to gain time. Bertie hasn't got the legs to do anything about it.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • disgruntledgoat
    My fiendish plan to stick in a half day hangs in the balance.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • davidof
    Parents in law in the Dutch Village at Huez now - manic. The road is completely blocked by fans now, barely room for cyclists to climb up.
    Instagramme
  • disgruntledgoat
    And is scuppered.

Arse.

@gietvangent
  • goonz
    My fiendish plan to stick in a half day hangs in the balance.

Just feign food poisoning...
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    RideOnTime wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    I've been dreading this stage for months. I just can't see beyond the vision of some simpleton running alongside the leaders in a hilarious outfit falling over and in to the leaders, motor bikes crashing all over the place and the Alpe so packed with fans that there is no room to attack.
    My nerves are in shreds after the Ventoux stage!

Oh, calm down.
    What are the chances of that?

Watch Slim Boy Fat's little video footage. Nice n calming;

http://vimeo.com/70139351

I know, I know. All will be fine. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh!

2192227459.jpg

guerini.jpg

guerini.jpg
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    quintana talking himself down

thunderstorm forecast for the alpe
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Here we go! Eurosport coverage just started. No live pictures as of yet.

The Spanish Speaking Civil War is going to be interesting.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    shazzz wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    I've been dreading this stage for months. I just can't see beyond the vision of some simpleton running alongside the leaders in a hilarious outfit falling over and in to the leaders, motor bikes crashing all over the place and the Alpe so packed with fans that there is no room to attack.

Oh, calm down.

I know, I know. All will be fine. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh!

2192227459.jpg

guerini.jpg

guerini.jpg

".....if you know that man, phone the police.....'
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

The glandon is, in places, twice as wide and if you go off the side you'll fall a maximum of 12ft before hitting a meadow.

I can confirm from past experience that those meadows provide a nice soft landing. Much nicer than a 40ft drop-off :shock:
  • goonz
    shazzz wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    shazzz wrote:

Oh, calm down.

2192227459.jpg

guerini.jpg

guerini.jpg

Did the guy actually knock him over on purpose?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    RichN95 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    How much leeway do you think they could give Quintana before accepting that nobody else is going to chase? Contador has said it's 1st or bust for him.
    And Contador is not going to win if Quintana gets ahead of him, is he?

Unless Contador think his best chance of winning is having Froome chase Quintana up Alpe d'Huez.

Far, far too many things in play to trust anyone else to do anything predictable. No point in risking it.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    No, he was looking through his camera and failed to realize how close the ride actually was. Amazing it doesn't happen more often.
  • MrTapir
    Autobots, roll out!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    davidof wrote:
    12 cyclists injured in separate accidents on ADH yesterday, some serious as the helicopter had to intervene.

Just spoke to the parents in law. They left Grenoble at 7am and have just arrived at ADH via Oz. It is "swarming" with huge queues to get the lift down to Huez.

Ecologists have threatened to block the Sarenne for 10 minutes after the lead rider goes through.

What with cardigans?
  • MrTapir
    Was that Trentin on the front of the pack for OPQS? Right next to the commisaires car.
  • goonz
    MrTapir wrote:
    Was that Trentin on the front of the pack for OPQS? Right next to the commisaires car.

Someone fancies their chances....
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 4m

Live coverage of Stage 18 about to start. Sunny for now. Stylists will celebrate Mikel Nieve who wears normal team shorts and KoM jersey

Well that is a blessed relief! :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • MrTapir
    goonz wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

And that someone is Trentin?

What i mean is, is that who that guy is? trying to put name to a face.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    ok - time to shutdown all news and cycling-related feeds. Determined to get through the day to highlights tonight without knowing what happens... will need a strong tailwind I reckon.
  • goonz
    MrTapir wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

And that someone is Trentin?

What i mean is, is that who that guy is? trying to put name to a face.

No sorry not sure, well whoever it is he clearly fancies his chances! :P

Was he in an OPQS kit?
  • MrTapir
    Is that Hoogerland off the front as soon as the gun goes? What a ledge.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    rickyrider wrote:
    ok - time to shutdown all news and cycling-related feeds. Determined to get through the day to highlights tonight without knowing what happens... will need a strong tailwind I reckon.

Just hoping the likely lads parallel isn't too accurate... Keep the rain off please!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    rickyrider wrote:

:lol: Good luck with that! You know you'll sneak a peak!