TDF 2013 Stage 18 L'Alpe d'Huez *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2013
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    You guys seriously think Evans has it in him judging by the last couple of weeks of racing?
    Yeah. Get in the right break with other riders a long way down, no-one willing to chase hard - it's got a good chance of going all the way and Evans is better than most of the riders likely to be involved.

No-one in their right mind would work in a group with Evans in it, surely?
    Depends who's in it. Rolland, Hesjedal, Danielson, De Clercq, Nieve, Anton, Bardet, De Gendt - those sort of guys would fancy their chances against him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    You guys seriously think Evans has it in him judging by the last couple of weeks of racing?
    Yeah. Get in the right break with other riders a long way down, no-one willing to chase hard - it's got a good chance of going all the way and Evans is better than most of the riders likely to be involved.

No-one in their right mind would work in a group with Evans in it, surely?
    Depends who's in it. Rolland, Hesjedal, Danielson, De Clercq, Nieve, Anton, Bardet - those sort of guys would fancy their chances against him.

You might be right. I guess Schleck will at least try to get away, too.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I dont think Sky will let the breakaway win this, think Froome will want the stage so they may chase back any attempts.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • afx237vi
    goonz wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    goonz wrote:

You could be right, personally I have never seen any evidence to suggest he has a breakaway win in him. Every time I see him race he is stuck on someones wheel, admittedly I have only really been watching cycling properly since the last tour so you guys will have more experience than me.

If you have a couple of hours any time soon, watch this stage and you might change your opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uBNQ4BFfSo
  • goonz
    2010 Giro? This is Evans 3 years on, I stand by what I say but Ill watch it anyway :)
  • afx237vi
    goonz wrote:
    2010 Giro? This is Evans 3 years on, I stand by what I say but Ill watch it anyway :)

I'm not saying he's in the same form as he was then, just that it was a great stage with him being the opposite of a wheelsucker 8)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    goonz wrote:
    goonz wrote:

So you're saying he should just give up and go home?

Well that would be awfully boring. There's no harm in taking a few days easy and targeting a stage win.

Never just go home, I just dont see it. IMO a very boring cyclist.

He is a GC contender dropping off from his peak.. what do you expect him to do? Basically his job is to hang on for dear life and get a good GC placing in the end. Eg. his 3rd at the Giro this year.

He was never going to be exciting in the attacking sense at this stage of his career - go back and look at his earlier career to get an idea of the kind of cyclist he is. 2011 TdF Stage 18 is a good place to start if you want an idea of the kind of rider Evans is.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Somebody convince me that a sickie is a really good idea for the next couple of days... I have 4 hours of legal training in a room with no windows on friday afternoon also.

Do it. Do it now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I envy you all so much.

I've got back to back client meetings all morning here in nyc and the Internet can't even load this website without a 10 minute effort.

You token Dutchies better step to the plate.

Enjoy it guys. Hope it's as good as 2011.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Today's result throws up the possibility of an AC/RK tag team effort.

Anyone think it's likely?
    which would be coverred by Sky Movistar, Katusha and Belkin.
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    goonz wrote:
    I dont think Sky will let the breakaway win this, think Froome will want the stage so they may chase back any attempts.

Sky will have their work cut out as it is keeping check on the GC contenders, hammering away after breakaways for the sake of a stage win won't be their priority, leave that to other teams.

Saying that though i still think Froome will win the stage, he catch the stragglers half/3/4 the way up the last ascent.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Well morning has broken and the big stage is here. Will a rider get taken out by an over exuberant spectator? It has to be a major risk today.

I certainly think that Evans may have been holding back for today. He's not the sort of bloke just to cruise around a TT stage. He knows his contractual obligations.

This stage is such the icing on the cake I think that more riders than we think will have a serious go for it.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Any update on the weather? Finishing work early today and tomorrow to get back for as much stage time as possible.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Another interesting blog by Millar
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert ... -the-chase
    He's saying to look out for J-Rod, though also that the teams need to sort themselves out if they want to beat SKY.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    inseine wrote:
    Another interesting blog by Millar
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert ... -the-chase
    He's saying to look out for J-Rod, though also that the teams need to sort themselves out if they want to beat SKY.
    Another good piece. After this tour is finished some of the teams will sit down with their head in their hands. They really have got it wrong so many times.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ITS DOUBLE D'HUEZ DAY! FFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKK!

(on, so it's probably going to be a massive let down, but still. FARK.)
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

Given that in your own words you bored as f*ck do you really care ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    edited July 2013
    Moray Gub wrote:

Given that in your own words you bored as f*ck do you really care ?

I also said the only thing that was keeping me going was the d'Huez stage... (don't pick on me Moray - I'm a far bigger smiths fan than you will ever be. :wink: )
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    I'm feeling decidedly peaky today.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Ummm if you're not feeling well, you should really take it easy and stay at home. You wouldn't want to infect your colleagues or make yourself worse. And you know what is guaranteed to make you feel better? Watching a double ascent of Alpe d'Huez! It is known.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Never thought I'd be saying this, but would love to see Contador take a whole chunk of time out of Froome, just to spice (Sensations) it up.

Hopefully today will be epic, rather than normal service.
    Mens agitat molem
  • goonz

It was good the first time....
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Got the day off today. Would love to see Andy Schleck or J-Rod win today's stage but I don't think they quite have the form.

Would Froome really gift a win on Alpe D'Huez in the 100th Tour?
  • goonz
    Milton50 wrote:

Hell no!

Also everyone saying riders have saved themselves for today, what happened on Mont Ventoux? Is that not a big enough stage to win?
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Now more excited than a kid on Christmas day with a bike shaped parcel on top of mums wardrobe.Live coverage from 1200 .Got to be a great days racing with thrills and spills but ,please,nothing serious.Col d'Ornonne descent as an appetiser ,mains on AdH and dessert on the Sarenne.Anyone not taking the day off gets my sympathy.Doesn't get any better than this does it?JRod for the win.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    goonz wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Hell no!

Well that's what I would have thought but people like inrng seem to think it's a possibility.
  • goonz
    Milton50 wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Hell no!

Well that's what I would have thought but people like inrng seem to think it's a possibility.

Guess anythings possible, especially if a big enough breakaway gets free but I think Froome may want to win this just as much as anyone else.

All I know is I think it will be a great day of racing!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    goonz wrote:

It was good the first time....

I thank yow.

Anoyingly my wife was actually ill this morning.I thought that if we both called in, the day after her birthday when she's been on leave since last Friday, that might not look great.

Also, I needed the over/under session on the ride in. Biggest ride of life looming and all that.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    The Tour is won on The Alpe!

Gonna be a cracker! Would be something else to see a British name on one of those hairpin turns the next time I do it!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    durhamwasp wrote:
    The Tour is won on The Alpe!
    Gonna be a cracker! Would be something else to see a British name on one of those hairpin turns the next time I do it!

That's one of those annoying cycling myths. It's rarely decisive.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent