TDF 2013 Stage 18 L'Alpe d'Huez *Spoilers*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I feel some OT time from Algeria might be used now I ve rad the last 3 pages...you guys...

oh-you-guys.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I would bet that Froome would gift a win to Quintana - IF Quintana can can stay at a pace which satisfies Froome's desire to put more time into Kreuziger and Contador. Quintana suggested that this would have happened on Ventoux but he could not stay with Froome.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    inseine wrote:
    So, has Evans blown or is he saving something for the next few days?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-s ... stage-hunt
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    durhamwasp wrote:
    The Tour is won on The Alpe!
    Gonna be a cracker! Would be something else to see a British name on one of those hairpin turns the next time I do it!

That's one of those annoying cycling myths. It's rarely decisive.

Well it was in 2008 with Sastre and 2011 with Evans.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The only person I could see Froome gifting a win to is Porte and I doubt Titchy Richie will be there at the end.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Daz555 wrote:
    I would bet that Froome would gift a win to Quintana - IF Quintana can can stay at a pace which satisfies Froome's desire to put more time into Kreuziger and Contador. Quintana suggested that this would have happened on Ventoux but he could not stay with Froome.

He couldn't stay with Froome because Froome attacked him :wink:
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    inseine wrote:
    So, has Evans blown or is he saving something for the next few days?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-s ... stage-hunt

Sounds like someone aat BMC is not happy with their riders failures!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Moray Gub wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:
    The Tour is won on The Alpe!
    Gonna be a cracker! Would be something else to see a British name on one of those hairpin turns the next time I do it!

That's one of those annoying cycling myths. It's rarely decisive.

Well it was in 2008 with Sastre and 2011 with Evans.

Would agree on Sastre. I would argue that Evans won it by grimly holding station through the alps and relying on the Schleckette's time trial skills.

I'll go away and crunch some numbers and get back to you!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    Milton50 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

In a bike race?! Staggering.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    edited July 2013
    Having had a look on Wikipedia at the stages I have a personal memory of (Pantani 1995 to present) I'm struggling to think, other than Sastre and Armstrong in 2001 of a guy who opened up a race winning lead on Alpe D'Huez.

Edit: LeMond in 86 probably did alright out of that stage too.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    You can be sure that the DUTCH will got nutcracker crazy for Ten Dam and Mollema when they come past.

Also they have this up:
    Screenshot_2013-07-17-20-35-14_20130717221944185.jpg
    I don`t think it will matter though as he will have his eyes glued on Porte`s back wheel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    @peterstetina
    all these guys bitching about the sarenne descent tomorrow; they aint Giro regulars. Batshit DH = standard in the Giro. #normal #goatpaths

CHECK. Giro is the GT for racers.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    If a rider 'gifts the win' to another, I fail to see how that is satisfying on a personal level. Plus the fact, it's a race - obviously.

Quintana should try and smile a bit more, he has a set of pearly whites Richard Hammond would be proud of.
    Mens agitat molem
  • I think the Tour could turn on its head over the next 3 stages.

If sky team have been targeting certain stages and using other days for recovery. It would explain them looking weak during stages after or just before a target stage.

If they are in fact weak then the whole race could turn on its head, or at least get much closer were Contador and Quintana gain on Froome on at least 2 of the three mountain stages. Maybe they gain time on all 3. After all they have only raced 2 HC climbs so far, not many for so late into the Tour.

We are going to see just how strong or weak the Sky team are. There are 5 HC climbs in 3 stages and multiple other cattery climbs. And this follows a TT were the GC contenders have been pushing hard while others were saving energy.

Contador may have got his tactics correct and his team is stronger than in the past and may make up for him not having that little extra he once had.

Quintana could easily gain 5 minutes on 3 mountain stages. The question about his chance is, does he know when to attack?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

In a bike race?! Staggering.

Erm yeh?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Raining on the Alpe. Pretty heavily as well! :cry:
  • ddraver
    cattery climbs.

Full Toss there mate ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkxi3cgPBqi1O7C5jK6eOKyZ1wG44VLFI_eMuu-f5Xc8GaND2K
    Favim.com-31981.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    The Descent (I wouldn't fancy it in the wet)

http://vimeo.com/70139351

Is this you?

The road is closed to traffic?

Oh. I see one car.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    You can be sure that the DUTCH will got nutcracker crazy for Ten Dam and Mollema when they come past.
    I think Jonny will get some love as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKgvWe3zEc0

Re: Schatje mak ik je foto, I asked some time ago about the reason for the chairs, Rick Chasey said that no Dutch people know why it happens. There is also a German version, so maybe its worth asking some Germans...
  • ddraver
    MrTapir wrote:
    I think Jonny will get some love as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKgvWe3zEc0

Re: Schatje mak ik je foto, I asked some time ago about the reason for the chairs, Rick Chasey said that no Dutch people know why it happens. There is also a German version, so maybe its worth asking some Germans...

Hot Hockey Girl just replied with Hahahahahaha....I ve mentioned that this is not an acceptable response! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    ddraver wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Hot Hockey Girl just replied with Hahahahahaha....I ve mentioned that this is not an acceptable response! ;)

is she German? it certainly doesnt help our investigations much does it.
  • RideOnTime
    ddraver wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

I think he might be upset if they shout 'Charlie, Charlee, Charlie, Charlee' at him. :)
  • ddraver
    MrTapir wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

No...there is a German HHG, but she's not a cyclist...
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    MrTapir wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Anybody playing hockey would be hot in this weather.
  • RideOnTime
    ddraver wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

No...there is a German HHG, but she's not a cyclist...

Does she play Hockey?

Those balls are very hard.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    I'm just hoping the Dutch are doing their chair lifting when Sagan comes past, so he can hop off and wave his bike about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    @peterstetina
    all these guys bitching about the sarenne descent tomorrow; they aint Giro regulars. Batshit DH = standard in the Giro. #normal #goatpaths

It's also the race where someone was killed on a descent two years ago.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    RichN95 wrote:
    @peterstetina

And the race where the True Racer's DS bullied the organisers into cancelling a descent.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    What's the story there? I missed it...
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    RichN95 wrote:
    @peterstetina

Though to be fair, on a descent that was regarded as pretty safe, as descents go.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format