TDF 2013 Stage 18 L'Alpe d'Huez *Spoilers*

Comments

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Lichtblick wrote:
    They won't. They won't punish him with anything. If they do, I'll eat my hat.

I demand pictures :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Nickel wrote:
    Froome officially given 20 sec penalty.

BIG DEAL! HUGE deficit in his GC lead! That'll have him rattled, there's a real game on now.
    Do you think he should be disqualified or what ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Great great great stage :-) I think Bertie may have a bike doping issue (oops, can we discuss that here?)

Froome was in trouble, but bluffing well. I remember the first book I read on road racing when I was about 8... It said "you can always tell a true champion buy their ability to hang on even when they have blown up".

Next two days will be fun to watch.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Mountain climbing on the Tour has been rubbish since Bahamontes retired, IMO.

Podium presentations: why oh why do they give MEN, superfit athletes, stuffed toys, FFSakes? ???

So they can promise to bring one back for their girlfriends/kids. Just like at a fairground :-)

So I basically have to seduce either Kwiatkowski or Quintana to get one of those Young Rider stuffies. Hmmm who to pick? I reckon Quintana would be hard work, I could probably show him everything and he still wouldn't crack a smile.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If what you showed was anything like that picture posted earlier on this thread, I could see why he wouldnt crack a smile!

**Sorry!**
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Lichtblick wrote:

Podium presentations: why oh why do they give MEN, superfit athletes, stuffed toys, FFSakes? ???

So they can promise to bring one back for their girlfriends/kids. Just like at a fairground :-)

So I basically have to seduce either Kwiatkowski or Quintana to get one of those Young Rider stuffies. Hmmm who to pick? I reckon Quintana would be hard work, I could probably show him everything and he still wouldn't crack a smile.

I've already got Quintana's fax number. :)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    goonz wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

If what you showed was anything like that picture posted earlier on this thread, I could see why he wouldnt crack a smile!

**Sorry!**

What this one?

Lady-in-Pool-small.jpg

Tough crowd!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick wrote:
    They won't. They won't punish him with anything. If they do, I'll eat my hat.

I demand pictures :)

I forgot about that promise. Heat of the moment, and all that, ok?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Lady-in-Pool-small.jpg

Is that Froome?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    64 Pages!

I go and get my stuff ready for racing and 64 pages?!?! Great stage though.. really happy the French got their stage win!

#freePorte
  • Lichtblick
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Nickel wrote:
    Froome officially given 20 sec penalty.

BIG DEAL! HUGE deficit in his GC lead! That'll have him rattled, there's a real game on now.
    Do you think he should be disqualified or what ?

I was being ironic. Maybe you ironiced me, though.

Must get back to much-neglected work. The W-word.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    #freePorte
    #freeRoman
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Bad day for Dan Martin.
    He was only five minutes ahead of Cavendish
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    goonz wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

**Sorry!**

What this one?

Lady-in-Pool-small.jpg

Tough crowd!

Nope! This one....
    That large hat is hiding this body: THE-FATTEST-MAN-IN-BRITAIN.jpg
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Porte is really funny. One minute he's dropping everyone, the next minute he's dropped because Froome attacked, a few minutes later he's just riding along Contador and then he's already at the front again dropping everyone and pulling Froome. Hell, if they asked him to go for the stage he probably would have and come back to help Froome again and feed him.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Bad day for Dan Martin.

Bah, he was losing time so they'd let him go in a break! Cav that is.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    goonz wrote:
    Nope! This one....
    That large hat is hiding this body: THE-FATTEST-MAN-IN-BRITAIN.jpg

Ah that was back in my track days.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    20sec penalty for Froome ultimately worth it! Cracking stage and what a performance from Porte
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Bad day for Dan Martin.

Holding it back for tomorrow?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    Lightning wrote:
    Porte is really funny. One minute he's dropping everyone, the next minute he's dropped because Froome attacked, a few minutes later he's just riding along Contador and then he's already at the front again dropping everyone and pulling Froome. Hell, if they asked him to go for the stage he probably would have and come back to help Froome again and feed him.

He wasn't dropped he was marking Contador.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    I would think you'd want to not announce a surprise control. Sort of like telling someone about their surprise birthday party.

Vaughters just now

@gietvangent
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    He wasn't dropped he was marking Contador.
    Yes I know. I didn't mean dropped as in he couldn't follow them. It was pretty clear he was just riding along Contador and then decided to ride with Valverde instead (and back to Froome). I've got nothing against him by the way, awesome rider.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Good stage that.

Quintana, JRod, Porte all super strong.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    mfin wrote:

Lady-in-Pool-small.jpg

Is that Froome?

Those legs are off-centre
    www.dotcycling.com
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,557
    So Contador was about as quick as his 2011 effort.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Saxo now with three riders in the top 10.

Kwiatkowski and Ten Dam barely hanging onto 9th and 10th and will surely be overtaken by Valverde in the next two days. Talansky is also making a decent stab at moving himself into the top 10.

Bardet up to 16th and looking good to be best placed French rider in Paris. His advantage over Chavanel who is next best is over 10 minutes.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    goonz wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    So just to clarify why is it illegal to take foord/water like that?

you can't feed in the last 20km of a race usually unless it's really hot. I think it's so there can be a safe close to a stage.

Surely a little unfair on a stage like that with effectively 2 HC climbs together??

There was a feed zone on the flat section in the village at the end of first climb of AdH

Sky also did illegal feed on Ventoux with soigneurs on rhs of road half way up climb. 2 mins later was CF's first attack.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    ddraver wrote:
    What's the reasoning behind the no food/drink from car rule? On a flat stage with the sprint teams all charging it might make sense from a safety perspective, but otherwise?

Rob Hayles (??) saying it could be to prevent "sticky Bidons" just at the wrong place....

I think it's also to discourage dangerous build up of cars that would lead to crashes, blocking of riders behind, etc
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 5m
    So, forget about today, @ryder_hesjedal has been referring to tomorrow's stage 19 as "THE REDONKATHON" since Corsica. That means very hard.

19-profile.jpg
    Looks like a lot of people are going to go out the back early doors

Geraint Thomas ‏@GeraintThomas86 12m
    Well that was insane!! Thanks for the support. However, please DON'T push me on my lower back!!! #painful

Fabian cancellara ‏@f_cancellara 1h
    Must say it was one of my first tour stages that saw. a awesome final with 100% action until to the end. #Chapeau to all Riders

320-RTX11QQE.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Alan A wrote:

Sky also did illegal feed on Ventoux with soigneurs on rhs of road half way up climb. 2 mins later was CF's first attack.
    The feeding rule was suspended for Ventoux (don't know why)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    And other teams made use of it getting bottles passed up from their team cars.