TDF 2013 Stage 18 L'Alpe d'Huez *Spoilers*

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Hansen.jpg.500.327.jpg

Absolute class! Picture of the Tour for me!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 58s
    Fine food: Chris Froome's late energy gel cost him, Richie Porte and team DS Nicolas Portal a total of 1,400 Swiss francs in fines
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited July 2013
    Joelsim wrote:
    What a great stage!

Froome looked dead at the end and with two more mountain days to go I think there's still much to play for. I'd love to see Quintana do it, the bloke is ice cold
    Froome looked dead but if he was in a sugar crash it is no wonder.

Still, when you have your worse day, broken team car, no food, sugar crash, get fined, hit with a 20 sec penalty, and still finish the day further in front in yellow than you started - well life is good! :D
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    OMG. 67 pages. I had lower priority tasks thrust upon me just as Froome et al approached 1st summit of the Alpe. No idea what happened & I'm holding out for ES highlights. Scared to check schedules. Would a kind soul PM me the start time? X
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Hansen.jpg.500.327.jpg

:lol:
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    RichN95 wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Question:

Usually the final stage to Paris is a procession but if Quintana can make enough time in the next 2 stages on Froome that they go into Sunday only a few seconds apart would it become a proper race?
    Counter question: What chance do you think a 59kg man stands against the combined forces of Sky and all the sprinters teams on the wide open streets of Paris?

That's a no! :lol:

It's not the done thing, and Quintana's not the man to do it either. Physically, I mean. Ethically, I've no idea.

Not against the sprinters and it would be his team vs Sky, but what about trying to gain those few seconds over Sky? If it was possible...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    alanjay wrote:
    The knee was alright today. Saxo made some mistakes, but in the end it just wasn't there for AC was it? Once again he was holding onto the coat tails of Kreuziger and could deliver nothing more for himself. His performance yesterday was very good. It seems he's lacking endurance for the longer tougher stages.

AC is holding Kreuziger back on this tour.
    It would seem Saxo backed the wrong horse for 2013.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Joelsim wrote:
    What a great stage!

Froome looked dead at the end and with two more mountain days to go I think there's still much to play for. I'd love to see Quintana do it, the bloke is ice cold

3km before he looked like he was on another mission to win the stage!

I wouldn't read too much into it, IMO makes it more likely he will set out to win one of the last 2 stages now.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:
    Fine food: Chris Froome's late energy gel cost him, Richie Porte and team DS Nicolas Portal a total of 1,400 Swiss francs in fines
    Still cheaper than Waitrose though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    goonz wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Question:

Usually the final stage to Paris is a procession but if Quintana can make enough time in the next 2 stages on Froome that they go into Sunday only a few seconds apart would it become a proper race?
    Counter question: What chance do you think a 59kg man stands against the combined forces of Sky and all the sprinters teams on the wide open streets of Paris?

That's a no! :lol:

It's not the done thing, and Quintana's not the man to do it either. Physically, I mean. Ethically, I've no idea.

Not against the sprinters and it would be his team vs Sky, but what about trying to gain those few seconds over Sky? If it was possible...

Problem is that Sky and Froome will be with the sprinters teams, it's a short flat stage . There's no way Movistar could detach Sky from the mass train of sprinters teams that will set a ridiculously fast pace.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Still cheaper than Waitrose though.

They should have just got Ocado to deliver.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    They broke the rules and they've taken the fine/time penalty. Though technically I struggle to see how Froome actually broke the letter if not the spirit of any rules.

In what way was Porte collecting gels on the 2nd ascent more dangerous than if he'd been collecting gels on the 1st ascent? If anything it was safer than on the 1st ascent as the rider were more strung out.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,557
    goonz wrote:
    Question:

Simeoni repeatedly tried in 2004 and managed to achieve his objective - not seconds, but irritation of Armstrong. Quintana could follow suit, but I don't think his objective will be irritation, and seconds is rather unlikely.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Hansen.jpg.500.327.jpg

Is that him on the right?

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=tour+of+flanders+cancellara+boonen&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=x7_P8S2LRchhDM&tbnid=o5jdaCwV3N-POM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FFlandriaCycles&ei=20foUZTaB4a40QWJsIHgAQ&bvm=bv.49478099,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNGgAtkilyIWraO0snR93e_Ze6Tb7Q&ust=1374263600025688
  • fleshtuxedo
    Hansen.jpg.500.327.jpg

Is that him on the right?

3650_498606186864675_1973307263_n.jpg
  • fleshtuxedo
    Doh! I give up
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Doh! I give up

belgium man!
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    what a circus

are we all happy now.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • fleshtuxedo
    Doh! I give up

belgium man!

Yeah I know! You don't have to show a passport at Dutch corner do you?

Thanks though
  • fleshtuxedo
    what a circus

are we all happy now.

Bit merry if I'm honest
  • above_the_cows
    what a circus

are we all happy now.

Bit merry if I'm honest

I've had a tipple.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    This morning, I had an MPCC test and that's a good thing because we want to eradicate doping,I was tested again just now as stage winner and they can come back and control me again tonight if they want.I understand the process being carried out against the yellow jersey and the future will tell us everything, but he doesn't deserve this now, I believe he works very hard, and it's up to us to learn from his methods rather than point the finger of suspicion

What a nice young man
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    So incredibly happy for Riblon today. What a great stage win!
    mfin wrote:

Lady-in-Pool-small.jpg

Is that Froome?

You can tell it is by the arms
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    This morning, I had an MPCC test and that's a good thing because we want to eradicate doping,I was tested again just now as stage winner and they can come back and control me again tonight if they want.I understand the process being carried out against the yellow jersey and the future will tell us everything, but he doesn't deserve this now, I believe he works very hard, and it's up to us to learn from his methods rather than point the finger of suspicion

What a nice young man

Omerta innit...

He'll be roundly castigated over at The Clinic for perpetuating the lie. More seriously, good to see, attitudes have changed, yes there are still dopers and probably more than we think but it's definitely better and I reckon will keep getting better year by year. Fantastic ride by him today and fantastic to see him speaking in such a way.
  • mididoctors
    I thought the degree and wide abundance of suffering on show there was something we have not seen for a while.. bertie looked like he was going to throw up at one stage.

well done everyone.... at least contador didn't just try and defend his position.

quintana with jrod coming good in the third

shame about martin.... lot of team competition stuff going on thou jens went into reverse finishing 15mins down and andy just hasn't got enough miles in his legs to last till the stage end
  • fleshtuxedo

What a nice young man

Omerta innit...

He'll be roundly castigated over at The Clinic for perpetuating the lie. More seriously, good to see, attitudes have changed, yes there are still dopers and probably more than we think but it's definitely better and I reckon will keep getting better year by year. Fantastic ride by him today and fantastic to see him speaking in such a way.

He made the day didn't he, we'd have said the stage was a bit of a letdown without what he did in getting back to TJVG and winning a stage pour La France
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549

What a nice young man

Omerta innit...

He made the day didn't he, we'd have said the stage was a bit of a letdown without what he did in getting back to TJVG and winning a stage pour La France

Think that would have been a little harsh on TJVG, if he'd won.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows

What a nice young man

Omerta innit...

Think that would have been a little harsh on TJVG, if he'd won.

Agreed, it would still have been a great stage if Teejay had taken it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Right then, Saxo tactics...

Nico and his mate up the road early. Did they think they'd be able to stay away long enough for Contador to use them on the descent and in the valley? Because they were a long long way from that.

Or had they hoped that Sky would burn a couple of guys up chasing, leaving a couple less for the climbs and descent?

While it's fair enough to say "at least they tried something" it smacked a bit of desperation to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Thanks for the PMs folks. Highlights now ending 5 hours of hurt.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.