TDF 2013 Stage 18 L'Alpe d'Huez *Spoilers*

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    hammerite wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:
    Just saw someone (Greipel?) change their jersey and his bib short straps looked extremely thin? Surely they would hurt..?

And that saddle!? Oooh, it's like a razor blade!

you are from an 80s Yellow Pages advert.

My fave :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJk6bkjgko
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Nearly at the Ornon. With wrath about to come my way I'll admit to riding up this a couple of years ago in a triathlon. As a climb it's just a long straight drag and relatively boring.

Descent back down to Bourg d'Oisans was a bit tasty in torrential rain, I was frozen.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    hammerite wrote:
    Nearly at the Ornon. With wrath about to come my way I'll admit to riding up this a couple of years ago in a triathlon. As a climb it's just a long straight drag and relatively boring.

Descent back down to Bourg d'Oisans was a bit tasty in torrential rain, I was frozen.

If you were wearing a sleeveless jersey BRCC accept your resignation forthwith.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    ad_snow wrote:
    Just saw someone (Greipel?) change their jersey and his bib short straps looked extremely thin? Surely they would hurt..?

Some of them have really thin ones and some of them have really thick ones. Even within the same kit, I've noticed both thick and thin Sky ones this year for example. I think it's rider preference. There's a famous video of the lovely Bernie doing something similar last year at the Giro and he had very thin straps.

Found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRUbq-7Av0Q

Yeah right 'found it'
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Home now!

Some evil intervals on the way home and some hot Lemond and Hinault action when I got in!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    hammerite wrote:

Aren't you allowed to swim down if it is raining?
  • hammerite
    NapoleonD wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

Yellow jersey and world champ bands. The boys got balls, good job the internet wasn't around then.
  • napoleond
    prawny wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

Some of them have really thin ones and some of them have really thick ones. Even within the same kit, I've noticed both thick and thin Sky ones this year for example. I think it's rider preference. There's a famous video of the lovely Bernie doing something similar last year at the Giro and he had very thin straps.

Found it:

Yeah right 'found it'

I thought it appeared to have been 'found' rather quickly too...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    QUICK QUIZ

Name the last three years where the Tour winner did not finish the Tour will all members of his team intact.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • hammerite
    hammerite wrote:

If you were wearing a sleeveless jersey BRCC accept your resignation forthwith.

Nope, short sleeved one with arm warmers and a gilet. Longest ever transition. Route went up to AdH, didn't get warm until halfway through the half marathon.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    ad_snow wrote:
    It was Griepel, and his bib short straps rolled up while he was getting changed, they were actually thicker than they appeared.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    NapoleonD wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

Found it:

Yeah right 'found it'

Stop being mean. :cry: It's on the first page of videos if you type in "Bernie Eisel Giro 2012" so was very easy to find.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Right I'm back - Curtains back up, Shower head replaced!

Cycling on!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    "Irish corner"? Trying too hard
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    ad_snow wrote:

Found it:

Bit of a better physique than skinny skinny Brad or Froome!
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

Found it:

Yeah right 'found it'

Stop being mean. :cry: It's on the first page of videos if you type in "Bernie Eisel Giro 2012" so was very easy to find.

Or on your bookmarks list... :lol::wink:
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872

Is there an Irish pub?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    hammerite wrote:

Me too! 2011? Bit wet wasn't it!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ridgerider wrote:
    FF
    Peloton & Co at 3 for an expresso?

I will try and nip out but it will be tricky.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    NapoleonD wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

Found it:

Yeah right 'found it'

*gently fans ATC to cool the hot flush she has just experienced after viewing said vid*
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

http://www.irishcorner10.com/
    www.dotcycling.com
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

Found it:

Yeah right 'found it'

Or on your bookmarks list... :lol::wink:

It wasn't, but it is now! :lol:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    edited July 2013
    NapoleonD wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

Found it:

Yeah right 'found it'

Searching your favourites? :P

Damn too slow :x
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    So I happened to be looking at my home town's local paper's website last night, and discovered something amazing. Dan Martin isn't from Birmingham, he's from Tamworth! He would have been at the primary school that shared a school field with my secondary school while I was there!

The Tamworth Herald have hysterically claimed him as their own. He was apparently the Tamworth Herald's 2012 sportsman of the year. Apparently it was a close run thing between Dan and Dave who had to run to the chip shop last March.
  • napoleond
    I would LOVE to see Jens Voigt's name on one of the hairpin signs on th'Alpe. Please let him win.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    goonz wrote:
    I'm about to go out on my bike. What time do I need to be back to see the first ascent of the Alpe? And the second?

About 3.30-4pm...

That's Euro time.

UK time they'll be at Bourg before 2pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I would LOVE to see Jens Voigt's name on one of the hairpin signs on th'Alpe. Please let him win.

ABF
    Contador is the Greatest
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    NapoleonD wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    ad_snow wrote:

fair brought a lump to my throat!
  • ddraver
    NapoleonD wrote:

ABF

Well said NapD! Would be a great tribute to the man!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Got a lot of funny looks channelling Froome on the Dutch bike to the station. Think I had his "pain face" going a bit!

Got those high cadence attacks nailed though!!
    - @ddraver