TDF 2013 Stage 17 TT - *Spoilers* - Embrun - Chorges

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited July 2013 in Pro race
So another TT - 32km.

Not convinced needed a TT now but I suppose need to mix it up.

On the face of it the Cote De Reallon switchback looks fierce but its a good wide road with a clean bridge square on so they'll be no slowing for that.

Yesterday disaster trying to follow the stage on the thread B4 ITV4 kicked in. Missed the whole thing. Forgot to record hilights and then find only 3mins of hilight on ITV4 player.

Reading yesterdays thread didn't enlighten that much although FF's posts to be fair are spot on for rider recognition. :):):)

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I can see a thread merger coming on in the morning. This one has the title in the correct manner, the other has maps and profiles....

Like you I think the twisty descents will have as big an impact as the climbs.

How are the points for the climbs dished out? Do they count for timed climbs only or is it quickest time over the climbs for the full course? Interesting to see if any riders sand bag the flat/descents and go full gas on the climbs to try to get the KOM points if it's the former.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    hammerite wrote:
    How are the points for the climbs dished out? Do they count for timed climbs only or is it quickest time over the climbs for the full course? Interesting to see if any riders sand bag the flat/descents and go full gas on the climbs to try to get the KOM points if it's the former.
    The fastest times through the checkpoints, which are at the top of each climb.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    hammerite wrote:
    I can see a thread merger coming on in the morning. This one has the title in the correct manner, the other has maps and profiles....

Like you I think the twisty descents will have as big an impact as the climbs.

There's only one solution for this.

Rich95, by the power vested in me by the slaying of the "preview your post" feature, and in view of your sterling work on the Mont Ventoux spoiler, I hereby appoint you as official Spoiler Thread Starter for the remainder of this year's Tour de France.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Rich95, by the power vested in me by the slaying of the "preview your post" feature, and in view of your sterling work on the Mont Ventoux spoiler, I hereby appoint you as official Spoiler Thread Starter for the remainder of this year's Tour de France.
    I'll do an Alpe d'Huez one - I only turn up for the glamour stages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I can only repeat myself.

There is gold coming your way tommorrow with a sneaky bet on Chava.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    RichN95 wrote:

I'll do an Alpe d'Huez one - I only turn up for the glamour stages.

Chapeau and chapeau.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    ThomThom wrote:
    I can only repeat myself.

There is gold coming your way tommorrow with a sneaky bet on Chava.
    Each way maybe but not on the nose. Although the climbs are not steep enough to put the stage into the hands of the pure climbers they should be too much for Chavanel to win. It ought to be someone who can climb with or close to the front group and has a very good TT.

Before the start I fancied JC Peraud to do extremely well on this stage but fear that fatigue may be taking its toll. You'd think the parcours should suit someone like Talansky, Evans or Van Garderen but who knows what kind of shape they are in at the moment.

It is really difficult to see past Froome to be honest.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Do we reckon Porte will take it very easy? He's probably Froome's biggest rival for the stage I think.

What's Danny Moreno like at mountain TTs? been pretty quiet so far this tour.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    I'm going to go for an outrageous outside prediction of Fuglsang. Manily because if he's rubbish everyone will forget it, but if he fluked something or got a good finish I'd go down as a genius. It's a long shot low stake reputation bet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    DeadCalm wrote:
    It is really difficult to see past Froome to be honest.

Well, off last with knowing what everyone else has done, it should be, the descents don't seem to be enough to bet against him. I'd be incredibly surprised if he doesn't win it.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Is it hilly and technical enough for it to be road bikes with aero bars or will it be the regular TT bikes tomorrow?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    1372501655_17-stage-embrun-chorges-plan.jpg

17-profile.jpg
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Is it hilly and technical enough for it to be road bikes with aero bars or will it be the regular TT bikes tomorrow?
    The profile doesn’t do today’s course justice, this is the most technical time trial seen in the Tour de France for years
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632

From @inrng
    most will use adapted road bike, then swap to pure TT bike, perhaps with a giant chainring, for the last downhill to gain time

Not seen planned bike swaps mid-TT before. Should be fun. Hoping for running mounts - a la Cancellara at Roubaix(?)
    Rich
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    RichA wrote:
    Not seen planned bike swaps mid-TT before. Should be fun. Hoping for running mounts - a la Cancellara at Roubaix(?)
    There was one this year at Tour de Suisse final TT. They swapped from a TT bike to a road bike for the final climb. The car needs to be behind the rider so they can't do running mounts. They have to stop, wait for the car to stop and the bike has to be removed from the roof. Can't send someone ahead with a bike.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    What's Quintana like at descending on technical stuff?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Man that might make a TT more interesting...

I was racking my brains for a genuine alternative PTP pick than Froome and I can't think of one. It's the sort of TT Cancellara would win riding backwards but Tony Martin favours TT's that are essentially long straight velodromes which this is definitely not....So, we ready to add another 20 pages on to the doping thread tonight?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    RichA wrote:

There were loads this year during the Tour of California on some very steep clmbs in the TT, TJ won that one wonder whether he will fancy his chances here...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    MrTapir wrote:
    What's Quintana like at descending on technical stuff?

Judging by an earlier stage in the tour, appalling.
  • Froboz
    Froboz Posts: 32
    I was really excited for today's stage, then I remembered it was an ITT and I wanted to shoot myself in the face. Boring.

I think ITT needs to get binned, or at least have only 1 per Tour.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Froboz wrote:
    I was really excited for today's stage, then I remembered it was an ITT and I wanted to shoot myself in the face. Boring.

I think ITT needs to get binned, or at least have only 1 per Tour.

I'll let you pitch that to ASO!

Can anyone enlighten me as to the last Tour to contain only one ITT, as I'm drawing a blank.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I might put a shout in for Bertie here. I know he came off yesterday but I think he might be prepared to take enough time saving risks on the descent to be in with a shot.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    ddraver wrote:
    Man that might make a TT more interesting...

I was racking my brains for a genuine alternative PTP pick than Froome and I can't think of one. It's the sort of TT Cancellara would win riding backwards but Tony Martin favours TT's that are essentially long straight velodromes which this is definitely not....So, we ready to add another 20 pages on to the doping thread tonight?

It's been a shame for the fans that Cancellara hasn't been here as a benchmark for the TTs. Would be great to see him on todays descent.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Slightly more interesting than a straight flat TT.

Froome likely to put time into all the other GC guys, although not sure he will win outright as he has no real reason to risk anything on the descents, he just needs to cruise round and look at the scenery.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I might put a shout in for Bertie here. I know he came off yesterday but I think he might be prepared to take enough time saving risks on the descent to be in with a shot.

or he might stack it into a bush somewhere, either way will make for good viewing. I expect Froome to extend his lead tonight and see a mix up in the minor places, be interesting to see how Quintana goes, he's looked the strongest climber bar Froome but then this is a TT not a regular mountain stage and the uppy uppy bits are particularly long or steep.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oh no! According to the twatters Mr Sits Really Far Forward on a Tiny Bike Jean-Christophe Péraud is off to hospital for a scan after apparently falling off on a ride this morning.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Not that he's here but IMO Cancellara wouldn't have won this. Too much climbing for the big man.
    Rich
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Fully expect Mr Froome to put more time into GC contenders(?) by this evening, generating 10 extra pages, 5 of which will be about yesterday's "Nodgate" and "Thumbgate" outrages, and 5 of which will be uncontrolled number hurling which prove whatever it is the poster is proving.
  • goonz
    What sort of time we expecting today? 40-45mins?
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Kittel doing half decent time