TDF 2013 - Stage 10 *Spoiler*

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    Alan A wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Back at the races, anyone care to idly speculate on Dan Martin's GC position at the end? I'm going with 6th / 7th

My bet is no GC change today.

I meant the end of the tour. I'm assuming today will be a sprint.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Is there an objective standard of chat? What's the penalty for falling below it? Who decides?

35876367.jpg

That picture is blocked at work for me, I assume it's a picture of Valverde?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Paulie W wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    5 man break from the start if anyone is interested...

Jerome Cousin (Europcar), Juan Jose Oroz (Euskaltel), Luis Mate (Cofidis), Lieuwe Westra (Vacansoleil) and Julien Simon (Sojasun)

Now there's a break that isnt staying away!

I've been watching most of the past week with the sound down as I've been at work. Is it me or has there been a severe lack of "insert random Frenchman" getting in to a break because he's from that neck of the woods? Or riding off the front of the bunch so he can be first through the town?

took me 4 attempts to post that due to the "new post" setting.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I`m not wriggling out of anything but it looks like you are trying to save face. The alternative to you is to act like a man.
    Since you apparently have such a problem with the intent of your post being misinterpreted, why didn't you write something along with the photo to make things clear? Everyone knows your opinions on Sky/Froome/SRMs, you never give that a rest. So IF you actually did intend to highlight Froome's riding style rather than his attraction to his SRM (which I doubt) you only have yourself to blame for everyone misunderstanding you.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Oh my god! Kill me now! :x :x :x :x :x :x

"She is making an effort to speak English, because really she is just a pretty face, now let me patronise you some more. Merci Miss France."
    Correlation is not causation.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Back at the races, anyone care to idly speculate on Dan Martin's GC position at the end? I'm going with 6th / 7th

My bet is no GC change today.

I meant the end of the tour. I'm assuming today will be a sprint.

D'oh, my bad.

Think you're right.

On a similar note fingers crossed for a Ten Dam podium.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Would (half) you lot pick a number between one and shut-the-f-up ... We get it, some of you think you're the Bikeradar 'daddy' or part of some 'cool club' ... News just in, you're just typing stuff!!!

And back to the coverage ... Froome articulated himself well on the doping issue (ES pre race coverage) ... but he does look like overcooked spaghetti on the bike when he's digging deep ...
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    edited July 2013
    hammerite wrote:

I've been watching most of the past week with the sound down as I've been at work. Is it me or has there been a severe lack of "insert random Frenchman" getting in to a break because he's from that neck of the woods? Or riding off the front of the bunch so he can be first through the town?

Julien Simon (Sojasun) is from Rennes, not far from where today's stage passes

Edit : Jerome cousin (Europcar) is also from that area - Nantes, a bit further south (I'd also like to point out that I took a KOM off him on Strava last week. Hahahhaaaa he can't do anything about it at the moment!!)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    edited July 2013
    ATC's Random Breton Guide

220px-thumbnail_zps41738be8.jpg

Apparently Brittany has had human inhabitants since the Lower Paleolithic era. The first settlers were Neanderthals who were later to be replaced by homo sapiens who developed large-scale primitive industries. After the last ice age and when Brittany became heavily forested large communities began to establish themselves before migrants coming from the Mediterranean and further east introduced agriculture. As these agricultural practices were slowly absorbed into the communities already living in Brittany, Brittany became a core area of megalithic culture. There are many monuments to this important period in Brittany’s history, the most famous of which is of course Carnac, a series of standing stones which includes the Broken Menhir of Er Grah in Locmariaquer which is the largest ever stone erection by Neolithic man. No laughing at the back.

actually [pedant]the current thinking on carnac is they are mesolithic and are a response to neolithic cultural invasion..an attempt to assert control of the landscape against those that would farm it.. the time period for construction places them in a transitionary period[/pedant]
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    TheBigBean wrote:

I think he'll sacrifice GC for another stage win, so will 'lose' enough time this week to be set free. Maybe the d'huez stage.
    exercise.png
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I think DDRaver and Frenchie should go and watch the stage in a pub. Then DD can say someting about FFs better half and they can duke it out, Queensbury rules.

The rest of us can get on watching a dull transition stage in peace.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    220px-American_Brittany_standing_zps539e6a28.jpg

That looks remarkably like an English Springer to me.
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    News just in, you're just typing stuff!!!
    :D
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    LutherB wrote:
    The birthplace of Bernard Hinault. Any other Pro Cyclists from the region?

They go very close to home of Fredrick Guesdon (PR 1997 and competed until a couple of years ago). I happened across his home village last year on hols.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

See my post above, which also contained a fascinating icthyological fact.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Crankbrother you re right! I'm waiting for the ES to start so I can talk about cycling. Apologies about Frenchie, sometimes he gets to me and IMO, posting a few pretty pics is not enough of an excuse for his otherwise appauling, insulting and nasty behaviour (to everyone, not just me). I promise to stop now...

Meanwhile - that Dog looks like an excellent Trail Dog!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

LMAO! You clearly hold high hopes for the stage...
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    LutherB wrote:
    The birthplace of Bernard Hinault. Any other Pro Cyclists from the region?

They go very close to home of Fredrick Guesdon (PR 1997 and competed until a couple of years ago). I happened across his home village last year on hols.

Two winners of PR from the region!
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2013
    Would (half) you lot pick a number between one and shut-the-f-up ... We get it, some of you think you're the Bikeradar 'daddy' or part of some 'cool club' ... News just in, you're just typing stuff!!!

And back to the coverage ... Froome articulated himself well on the doping issue (ES pre race coverage) ... but he does look like overcooked spaghetti on the bike when he's digging deep ...

I thought he was cr4p.. TBH. the idea we should all just forget it and move on no questions asked is laughable. He wants to have a go at anybody it should be the culture/riders/staff who got them all the reputation in the first place...I mean people are still testing positive for EPO in this years giro FFS!!!

I quiet like the nodding donkey thing, makes it look as hard. plus how on earth are you suppose to tell whether he is on a good day or not?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    Alan A wrote:

On a similar note fingers crossed for a Ten Dam podium.

I can't see that happening (the podium rather than the finger crossing) - just an armchair pundit view with no real basis other than the "Ten Dam who" school of thought.
  • above_the_cows
    ATC's Random Breton Guide

220px-thumbnail_zps41738be8.jpg

Apparently Brittany has had human inhabitants since the Lower Paleolithic era. The first settlers were Neanderthals who were later to be replaced by homo sapiens who developed large-scale primitive industries. After the last ice age and when Brittany became heavily forested large communities began to establish themselves before migrants coming from the Mediterranean and further east introduced agriculture. As these agricultural practices were slowly absorbed into the communities already living in Brittany, Brittany became a core area of megalithic culture. There are many monuments to this important period in Brittany’s history, the most famous of which is of course Carnac, a series of standing stones which includes the Broken Menhir of Er Grah in Locmariaquer which is the largest ever stone erection by Neolithic man. No laughing at the back.

actually [pedant]the current thinking on carnac is they are mesolithic and are response to neolithic cultural invasion..an attempt to assert control of the landscape against those that would farm it.. the time period for construction places them in a transitionary period[/pedant]

Ooo good stuff! Have I inadvertently touched upon the latest point of contention in archaeological anthropology? Excellent, that's what I like, glad to see my pointless waffle has a purpose.

See my post above, which also contained a fascinating icthyological fact.

I'm not a dog expert, this was just a picture when I googled it. Here's another that also looks remarkably like an English Springer Spaniel to me too...

images_zpsb2b09678.jpg

Have we unwittingly unearthed a canine nationalist conflict? Shall we call Bernard Hinault to sort it out?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,629

Correct. They are not the 'Daddy' 8)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • above_the_cows
    Ooo look David Lopez is still in the Tour de France.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    No way Ten Dam can get a Paris podium - he's got to have his big crash yet and ride the rest of the race with a big bandage wrapped around his face, hasn't he?

Crank - love the overcooked spaghetti analogy!
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2013
    who's the highest on gc in the break I cannot be ar5ed to findout?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Are Sky pulling for sprinter's teams in return for future stage favours? Or are they just nice guys?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204

Well said that man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2013
    who's the highest on gc in the break I cannot be ar5ed to findout?

Nobody within 60 mins.
    http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/live/aso/
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    Macaloon wrote:
    Are Sky pulling for sprinter's teams in return for future stage favours? Or are they just nice guys?

Froome's got them riding themselves into some form :wink:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

LMAO! You clearly hold high hopes for the stage...

I'm glad someone put spoiler in the title otherwise there's a few people who might disappointed to find that out.