TDF 2013 - Stage 10 *Spoiler*

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Starting this early because it's a sprint stage and I want to garner opinion on the likely victor! Just had a look at BetFair and they have assigned the following odds:

Cav - 5/6
Griepel - 14/5
Kittel - 7/1
Goss - 33/1

I've stuck a fiver on Cav, and just in case there's some more argy bargy crashing shenanigans, I've popped a fiver on Marcel as well. poor old Gossy, completely ruled out, but I have to say 33/1 is feckin' tempting 'just in case'.

It's a beautiful route, Saint-Malo is gorgeous, I've been there a number of times.

stage_10_profile_600_1_670.jpg

stage_10_map_670.jpg

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Heading there tomorrow afternoon! First stop off will be for some galette...

:):)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It`s not over until the third week kicks in and many riders will drop off. Being good in the third week is a lot different to being good in the first week. Contador is always strongest in the third week so I would expect to see him make some big moves then.

I just hope Froome suffers in the TTs so that the gaps dont get silly.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    have not quite grasped what that has to do with stage 10 ?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Surprised that a 1km 4.2% climb is categorised! I assume it's because the stage wouldn't have any KoM points on offer otherwise?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

I'd be jealous, but I ve got a new bike so meh

(Have I mentioned that btw?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Pross wrote:
    Surprised that a 1km 4.2% climb is categorised! I assume it's because the stage wouldn't have any KoM points on offer otherwise?
    That's it. It is harder than it looks BTW; Brittany is constantly up and down. Nothing to shed the sprinters, but it'll be a hard day in the saddle
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    ermintrude wrote:
    have not quite grasped what that has to do with stage 10 ?
    Oh FF will take any chance to bash Sky and tell you how awesome Contador is.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    ddraver wrote:
    I'd be jealous, but I ve got a new bike so meh

(Have I mentioned that btw?)
    MTBs don't count :wink:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Starting this early because it's a sprint stage and I want to garner opinion on the likely victor! Just had a look at BetFair and they have assigned the following odds:

Cav - 5/6
    Griepel - 14/5
    Kittel - 7/1
    Goss - 33/1

I've stuck a fiver on Cav, and just in case there's some more argy bargy crashing shenanigans, I've popped a fiver on Marcel as well. poor old Gossy, completely ruled out, but I have to say 33/1 is feckin' tempting 'just in case'.

It's a beautiful route, Saint-Malo is gorgeous, I've been there a number of times.

So if Cav wins, you win your bet by losing 80p? :wink:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    5/6 odds are too short. Just not worth the outlay. Is that the best there is?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Is this the right time to admit I have a bit of a crush on Brian Holm? I've been harbouring it for a while if I'm honest but this Tour I have finally given in and admitted it to myself. I don't usually go for blondes.

Anyway, looking forward to some racing tomorrow, rest days really are a psychological nightmare, I just don't know what to do with myself.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RideOnTime
    Saint Malo is twinned with Cowes...

Population 52,000.

If you're going out there you might quickly want to get one of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hooped-Polo-Shi ... B00B63P15O
  • Richmond Racer
    Is this the right time to admit I have a bit of a crush on Brian Holm? I've been harbouring it for a while if I'm honest but this Tour I have finally given in and admitted it to myself. I don't usually go for blondes.

Anyway, looking forward to some racing tomorrow, rest days really are a psychological nightmare, I just don't know what to do with myself.

The beard, the beard :shock:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

The beard, the beard :shock:

Beard? He's a beard? :shock:

Oh the beard, yes well not a fan of beards or blondes really but he's just so damned effortlessly stylish and wears great spectacles. I'm a sucker for a man with good taste in spectacles and shoes, shoes are also very important.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

Ah sod it, I'm going to pop along tomorrow afternoon to catch them coming by with 40 or so km to go. Was only going to be roadside for 11 & 12 but its too good an oppurtunity to miss.
  • Richmond Racer

Ah sod it, I'm going to pop along tomorrow afternoon to catch them coming by with 40 or so km to go. Was only going to be roadside for 11 & 12 but its too good an oppurtunity to miss.

Might meet up with mates at Cote de Dinan - know it?
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

Might meet up with mates at Cote de Dinan - know it?
    That was the plan although I may be pushed for time so I may end up a bit further north. Will know more when I get back from our day out tomorrow.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    That's it. It is harder than it looks BTW; Brittany is constantly up and down. Nothing to shed the sprinters, but it'll be a hard day in the saddle
    ^This. Brittany doesn't have mountains but it doesn't have flat either.

I haven't checked the forecast but since the beginning of the year it has blown pretty much consistently from the north so the likelihood is that they'll be into a head wind for most of the day. When they hit the coast at Cancale (a pretty little fishing village with some really good sea food restaurants) they turn and head west so there is a chance that there may be some cross winds. Looking out of the kitchen window the turbines are fairly whizzing round at the moment but it could, of course, drop overnight.

Although they'll be passing a mere 25kms to the east of my place, I haven't actually ridden the roads they'll be taking for a while so I went for a gentle spin earlier today to check out some of the route.

I did the climb though the forest of Paimpont on one of my first rides with the local club and I remember arriving at the top purple-faced and panting from the effort of trying to keep up with the local grimpeurs. Surely that ought to be worthy of categorisation I thought to myself. Sadly, my memory was clearly playing tricks on me . The sad reality is that it is a steady 2.5km drag with a maximum gradient of maybe 6% for a few hundred metres.

The area around Pampont forest is quite beautiful by the way. Paimpont Forest is supposedly King Arthur's realm Brocéliande.

Oh, and St Meen Le Grand is the birthplace of 3 time TDF winner Louison Bobet and home to a museum dedicated to him. The race will go right by the museum. There was some kind of function going on there today or I might well have gone in to take a look. Despite living just down the road all this time and passing it on numerous rides, I've still never managed to check it out.
  • RideOnTime
    Ok so it's Stage 10.
    May contain spoilers.
    Where's it start where's it finish?
    I think this is needed in the title.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I used to work in Denain and it's hardly what I'd call a "Cote". More like a 'climb' where you'd turn round afterwards and say "Was that it?"
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Nearly a whole page and no mention of cake?

Here you go - Breton speciality Kouign Amann - butter, sugar, bread dough and about a billion calories a bite:
    300px-Kouignamann.JPG
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I used to work in Denain and it's hardly what I'd call a "Cote". More like a 'climb' where you'd turn round afterwards and say "Was that it?"
    I didnt mean that hill specifically, but the cumulative of all the little ups and downs the whole day
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Ooof I dunno, I ve done a few tours around Brittany and it's hardly flat! The hills by them selves are easy but so is La Redoute. It's good hilly classics country, but then it looks like they ve avoided most of that from the profile...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Day before the ITT? I reckon a long-breakaway day featuring non-contenders on the GC on the deceptively lumpy route.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Day before the ITT? I reckon a long-breakaway day featuring non-contenders on the GC on the deceptively lumpy route.

Adam Hansen is my breakaway winner pick -> he must be pretty keen to add to his Giro stage win!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

No way OPQS are going to let this one go by.

So far 8 different winners from 8 different teams. (exc the TTT obv)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    If you think that climb's not up to much, best not to look at stage 14 (lumpy one to Lyon) which has a cat 4 of 1km at 4.0%.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242

No way OPQS are going to let this one go by.
    Agree.

There is a pretty fierce north-northeasterly blowing at the moment which means head wind for all but the last 20km and a possibility of echelons and splits in that last 20km.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Oh, and St Meen Le Grand is the birthplace of 3 time TDF winner Louison Bobet and home to a museum dedicated to him. The race will go right by the museum. There was some kind of function going on there today or I might well have gone in to take a look. Despite living just down the road all this time and passing it on numerous rides, I've still never managed to check it out.

Have we all read Bobet's brother's book 'Tomorrow We Ride'? It seems to be the book that all other books on the TdF of that era use for source material.
    Half man, Half bike
  • RideOnTime
    WE HAVE NO MAP OF THE FINISH :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WE HAVE NO MAP OF THE FINISH

AND IT'S 10.30...