TDF 2013 - Stage 10 *Spoiler*

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    As ever

CVNDSH THCK S FCK

Why on earth do you say that?

Ignorantly barges into another rider at speed, wont face up to it being his fault and takes an interviewers mic - maybe I'm wrong, maybe he's a noble and honourable man - but I still think if there was a maillot bellend, cav would be wearing it tonight
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Didnt look good. I would love to see it happen again but this time cav gets taken out then see how much noise he makes as he wines about everything that dont go is way.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    If you watch the overhead and focus on Cav and Greipel you can see that as Greipel moves left, Cav moves to follow - presumably hoping he could get on his wheel (although I reckon he was too far back. Unfortunately at the same moment Veelers moves slightly to the right (for whatever reason), hence the impact. I don't think Cav was leaning in, he was just swinging across which I guess can lead to crashes but that's part of sprinting. Any penalty would be harsh (IMO) but the green jersey looks gone now anyway so he's probably more bothered about losing out on another stage / his lead out still not being quite right.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    jibberjim wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    In other news, there would seem to be big problems at Sky. I doubt having only Stannard to pilot Froome through the last 20km was by design. Stannard was swamped a few times with Lopez and Suitsuo AWOL. This could get epic.

I'm sure whatever happened on the day before the rest day to turn them all bar froome into donkeys will shake itself back out of their systems soon.

Kennaugh fell off. Porte had a shaky start then burnt himself out trying to get back on. G has a fractured pelvis. But yeah, the (absence of) form of EBH, Siutsou, Lopez and Kiriyenka is a bit worrying. I'm guessing they won't let Froome pick the team again - Wiggins, Knees, Eisel all having enforced holidays right now...
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    BigMat wrote:
    If you watch the overhead and focus on Cav and Greipel you can see that as Greipel moves left, Cav moves to follow - presumably hoping he could get on his wheel (although I reckon he was too far back. Unfortunately at the same moment Veelers moves slightly to the right (for whatever reason), hence the impact. I don't think Cav was leaning in, he was just swinging across which I guess can lead to crashes but that's part of sprinting. Any penalty would be harsh (IMO) but the green jersey looks gone now anyway so he's probably more bothered about losing out on another stage / his lead out still not being quite right.

Sensible post by someone with a level head.

Loads of kneejerk reactions to it and having watched it about 8 times now I agree with the above.

Racing incident - no more no less.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    BigMat wrote:

That's about the size of it. Racing incident.
    Appallingly inadequate lead out though, Steegmans plus.....................well Steegmans.
    As bad, if not worse than last year. I see trouble ahead
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Racing incident definitely more blame on Cav.

My other revelatory discovery today is that the racing provides the talking points so spoiler threads don't need 10 pages of people talking shit. Who would have thought.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Funnily enough i reckon if Sagan had nt already won the GJ, they might make a bit more of this...

I dunno, i think there was nothing deliberate or malicious about it - Cav was nt trying to cause a crash - but his actions definitely resulted in one and i think he was responding the Veelers gamesmanship/racecraft in kind. Given how absurdly strict the comm.s have been over the last few years where if two sprinters so much as glance at each other they re relegated, I think he is/will be lucky to get away with nowt
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    BigMat wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    In other news, there would seem to be big problems at Sky. I doubt having only Stannard to pilot Froome through the last 20km was by design. Stannard was swamped a few times with Lopez and Suitsuo AWOL. This could get epic.

I'm sure whatever happened on the day before the rest day to turn them all bar froome into donkeys will shake itself back out of their systems soon.

Kennaugh fell off. Porte had a shaky start then burnt himself out trying to get back on. G has a fractured pelvis. But yeah, the (absence of) form of EBH, Siutsou, Lopez and Kiriyenka is a bit worrying. I'm guessing they won't let Froome pick the team again - Wiggins, Knees, Eisel all having enforced holidays right now...

Sky did a fair turn on the front in early stages to help limit the breakaway. Agree that team looks threadbare to say the least at the moment.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Sarcastic Tom ‏@sarcastitom 29m
    In Cav's defense, that reporter deliberately swerved his recorder to the right just before Cav grabbed it.

Greg Henderson ‏@Greghenderson1 51m
    Big congrats Argos and @marcelkittel. Really hope Tom Veelers is ok. Completely knocked off his bike unnecessarily. That's not professional.

David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST 1h
    There is no doubt that when Veelers strayed towards Cavendish, the latter took offence and then took the law into his own hands.

David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST 1h
    Kittel's man Veelers sensed Cavendish coming, veered slightly to right to hinder him, Cavendish hit him with left shoulder, causing crash.

Taylor Phinney ‏@taylorphinney 1h
    Veelers was looking back then weaving, Cav kept his line. Always makes you cringe to see crashes at that speed.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    There is no doubt that when Veelers strayed towards Cavendish, the latter took offence and then took the law into his own hands.

I'm with Dave on this one.

It's only a racing incident if you're racing.....that was afters, Cav was well beaten at that and it was a wee bit of petulant retribution.

If Cav stays in the races it's because the Argos rider walked away unscathed.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    Petulant, unhelpful and provocative, but still, Well played Cav! :Dhttps://vine.co/v/h76bmVrBJwm
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

It's only a racing incident if you're racing.....that was afters, Cav was well beaten at that and it was a wee bit of petulant retribution.

At the moment of contact Cavendish is level with Kittel, who won, and the gets on his wheel, so to say he was well beaten at that point and it wasn't racing is crap.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish
    Can all sprint experts on twitter go & try flicking their bike right at 65kph without leaning your body left to balance & come back to me.

Them's fightin' words! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:

At the moment of contact Cavendish is level with Kittel, who won, and the gets on his wheel, so to say he was well beaten at that point and it wasn't racing is crap.

Who spat in your cornflakes?

Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 1m
    Can all sprint experts on twitter go & try flicking their bike right at 65kph without leaning your body left to balance & come back to me.
  • ddraver
    the blocked word (for some reason) is like licking with an 'f' on the front...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.

Probably you if that's you reaction to being told you're wrong. You should have had enough practice by now
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Wowo, before todays intermediate sprint, Cofidis had only won €1600 as a team since the start of the tour!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    edited July 2013
    LOL

Cavendish grabs the journalists recorder and goes back on the bus after he asked whether it was his fault. Sure sign of guilt. Petulant.
    F'in 'ell, that is the most ironic single word I've seen for a while :roll:

Sorry, forgot, please ignore, I'm on "the list".

Racing incident in my book, Cav leaned in before Veelers wiped him out looking over his left shoulder. As someone else said, too many lead out guys. You can have 6 or 7 guys pulling over in the last 500m and free wheeling. It used to be one dominant lead out train that all the sprinters would try and latch on to.
  • RichN95.
    goonz wrote:
    Wowo, before todays intermediate sprint, Cofidis had only won €1600 as a team since the start of the tour!
    And that was in the rest day raffle.
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:

Probably you if that's you reaction to being told you're wrong. You should have had enough practice by now

LOL.

Just watched it again on slo-mo and stick with my opinion.

Just because he was he was level with Kittel doesn't mean he wasn't beaten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFV2q4CKNi8
  • tailwindhome
    Greg Henderson ‏@Greghenderson1 8m
    Dont get me wrong. @MarkCavendish is not a crazy sprinter. Never has been, never will be. He has speed. Today was a mistake by him IMO.
  • ddraver
    William Fotheringham ‏@willfoth
    Just found Jean-Francois Pescheux, who told me that in the comm's' view, Veelers was at fault because he was coming back in the sprint

:?

Scott O'Raw ‏@velocast
    @willfoth What did his guide dog say?

:D
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    No I don't think so, if you look at the replay from the front from further out, Veelers drifts right while looking behind him which is a natural thing to happen as Cav starts to move left. There is then the prospect of an inevitable coming together, so Cav decides to off-set the impact with his head which is an entirely sensible thing to do rather than taking the impact somewhere pointy or on the bike. I don't think Cav was intentionally trying to take out Veelers.
    First FF needs to change those glasses, then he might be able to see.
    Veelers should learn to keep both hands on the bars when he is that close to the finish and keep riding in a straight line. (freewheeling maybe)
    No he is more interested in where Cavendish is so he looks back and moves over to disrupt the sprint of Cavendish.
    Veelers must be new to leading out a major competitive field or he is very cunning.
    We have seen riders punished for more trivial things but thankfully he didn't bring the peloton down.
    No there was no head but with one hand Veelers was off balance and lost control as he bumped into the side of a fast moving rider who knows how to handle a bike in Madisons and large bunch sprints.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • First of all, minor miracle that only one guy decked it. Huge potential for a plane crash.

As for who's at fault. Bit of both really. The other guy came off his line by about two feet, as well as slowing down at the same time. Cav certainly gave him a right thump (so far so bunch sprint) and ordinarily the recipient of that would have stayed on his wheels but Cav hits him on his arm rather than his shoulder. The arm can't take that and his hand is thrown off the bars and the rest is history.

Relegate Cav, at absolute worst, but hopefully it's not grounds for complete race disq' .
  • ddraver
    To use a rugby analogy:-

*There are No7's that Ruck

*There are No7's that Ruck illegally

*There is Richie McCaw

Think both Cav and Veelers were playing in the McCaw zone...
    - @ddraver
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    ddraver wrote:
    Petulant, unhelpful and provocative, but still, Well played Cav! :Dhttps://vine.co/v/h76bmVrBJwm

That is very funny.
    Mens agitat molem
  • esafosfina1
    esafosfina1 Posts: 153
    Reminds me of some rugby player(can't remember who, soz...) that was cited for stomping on an opponents head... when found guilty, and was advised to apologise, the apology read: Sorry mate, shouldn't have had your head there, should you...

Cavendish is professional enough to realise that you do not take out lead out men, or non-sprinters that happen to be 'in the way'... He has no need whatsoever to deck Veelers... IMHO, a badly judged move from a sprinter that was, on this occasion, beaten.

And, please believe me, having sprinted against one of the 'dodgiest' riders of all time (Abdou) I know what a deliberate 'switch' is... :roll:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I see the iainf72 rule of sprint stages is as accurate as ever
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    And, please believe me, having sprinted against one of the 'dodgiest' riders of all time (Abdou) I know what a deliberate 'switch' is... :roll:

And that's us all trumped.

What was the scariest sprint you were involved in?