London Ride 100

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    one of my clients lives a few doors up from richmond park, the moaning i have to put up with from her about it makes me want to cry.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rjsterry wrote:
    BTW, J_T, how was that route I suggested? In the unlikely event that I manage to get out on a weekend sometime soon, I might revisit it myself.

Also, did anyone see the BBC London news item on moany Surrey-dwellers complaining about cyclists holding them up for 3 WHOLE DAYS this year?

Yep. Some EDF, sorry BNP, sorry UKIP woman prattling on. How about getting out of your car and giving cycling a go love?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    rjsterry wrote:
    BTW, J_T, how was that route I suggested? In the unlikely event that I manage to get out on a weekend sometime soon, I might revisit it myself.

Not managed it yet, mate. Life has had a nasty habit of getting in the way if cycling recently.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I've passed the £1000 mark in donations to Macmillan now which means a free Macmillan cycle jersey (hope they have one big enough!). I've got new shinny bike and seat doesn't drop when riding now, I've got new matching Northwave Jersey, Shorts, Gloves, Socks and shoes. I've got energy gels and hydration tablets. I know where I'm getting dropped off and where the pickup is going to be. Bit worried about the weather and being too cold at early start and don't want to carry anything. Last weekend I did Newlands to Boxhill in one at average of 13mph and 60 miles in total at 14.5mph moving. I think I'm almost ready, 1.5 more commutes and a training run on sunday then a week off the bike.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonny_trousers
    Sketchley wrote:
    I've passed the £1000 mark in donations to Macmillan now which means a free Macmillan cycle jersey (hope they have one big enough!). I've got new shinny bike and seat doesn't drop when riding now, I've got new matching Northwave Jersey, Shorts, Gloves, Socks and shoes. I've got energy gels and hydration tablets. I know where I'm getting dropped off and where the pickup is going to be. Bit worried about the weather and being too cold at early start and don't want to carry anything. Last weekend I did Newlands to Boxhill in one at average of 13mph and 60 miles in total at 14.5mph moving. I think I'm almost ready, 1.5 more commutes and a training run on sunday then a week off the bike.

Good man! Not sure a whole week off is necessary or wise, though.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Just passed the £500 mark for my given charity and the chest infection is picking up nicely. I haven't had a cold/illness for about 18 months so I'm a little pissed off. I can't work out whether to knock the training on the head entirely or battle through
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • cheekyget
    cheekyget Posts: 6
    Just been shafted by my so called mate on getting to the start.
    He is getting a lift with a work mate,leaving me to make my own way up
    Anyone got a 8 am start who riding up there? As it seems I have no other choice??
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    A little bit tempted to make a cheeky donation, roll through the foot tunnel from Greenwich and tag along as the route looks quite pleasant.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    dhope wrote:
    A little bit tempted to make a cheeky donation, roll through the foot tunnel from Greenwich and tag along as the route looks quite pleasant.

Let's hope not many people do that, 20,000 people on the route is enough and there will already be bottlenecks. The whole thing is on closed roads as well so hopefully they be checking for bikes / riders without race numbers and asking them not to ride.
    --
    Chris

• jonny_trousers
    Sketchley wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Let's hope not many people do that, 20,000 people on the route is enough and there will already be bottlenecks. The whole thing is on closed roads as well so hopefully they be checking for bikes / riders without race numbers and asking them not to ride.

I believe Prince Philip has been given special dispensation to use his blunderbuss on cyclists without an official number.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Why not just do it the next weekend? You wouldn't run the London Marathon by hopping the fence would you?

If loads of people do this, it is just going to cause aggravation and difficulty for the organizers and reduce the chances of it running annually.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    mroli wrote:
    Why not just do it the next weekend? You wouldn't run the London Marathon by hopping the fence would you?

If loads of people do this, it is just going to cause aggravation and difficulty for the organizers and reduce the chances of it running annually.
    I have done actually, donated the entry fee for a half marathon in Greenwich when a friend wanted some encouragement and ran with them. Didn't feel too bad for Nike
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Sketchley wrote:
    I think I'm almost ready, 1.5 more commutes and a training run on sunday then a week off the bike.
    Don't take a week of the bike, you'll feel blocked on the Sunday. Just have a gentle week of pootling, maybe take Monday off after this weekend's ride, keep your legs ticking over in other words. You should feel your energy levels rise during the week but resist the urge to go out and smash the SCR.

Great work on the £1k donation BTW.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • sketchley
    Trouble is work is a 16mile each way commute, often more on way home. If I do that all week, even taking monday off I'll still be fatigued on sunday. I know if I have a break I will feel strong come sunday. Plus taking it easy on the commute isn't easy particularly in morning when I'm often late. Perhaps just a ride tuesday and thursday next week. Or an evening pootle......
    --
    Chris

• I am also assessing my morning advance to the start, luckily I have somewhere to stay in Rotherhithe, bonus!

Just looking at my rivercrossing options. Has anyone ever tried cycling through the Rotherhithe Tunnel? Having been through there in a car it doesn't seem too inviting but i'm thinking at 0530 in the morning it might be OK?

Has anyone got any experience of that there tunnel? or shall I whizz round to Tower bridge?
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike
  • sketchley
    one of the official drop off zone is the bus lanes by the Rotherhithe R/B

"Drop-off B - Jamaica Road
    Address: Bus lanes either side between Mill Street and Rotherhithe Tunnel Roundabout"

The route to start is singposted from there, I guess we are going through the tunnel. But it isn't closed!

I think the blackwell tunnnel is open for cycling only in the morning as

"Drop-off D - Blackwall Lane
    Address: Bus lanes either side, between Salutation Road and Woolwich Road"

and tunnel is closed for event prep until 9.30am....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    More info here http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/T ... r_Info.htm

Blackwell Tunnel can be used by cyclist until 6.50am, it's half tempting to go over there just to ride the tunnel, doubt I'll ever get another chance....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    and the 100 miles starts 2 miles from the Olympic Park, so add this to 6 miles from drop off to the park plus back from the mall to where Mrs Sketchley parks and I'm going to be 110+ at least!
    --
    Chris

• Good info! thank you very much!

Think I will head to Drop off B and follow the crowd! I wonder if they have the routes in from the Droff Off points posted somewhere... will have a hunt!

I must say, i am quite excited!
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike
  • spasypaddy
    between 10 and 12 miles there, 102mile ride, then another 8 home.

gonna be a long day in the saddle
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    spasypaddy wrote:
    between 10 and 12 miles there, 102mile ride, then another 8 home.

gonna be a long day in the saddle

When I did the Notts sportive (102 miles) the 1st time, I rode 5 miles to and from the start. The ride in was a gentle affair but warmed me up nicely and the ride back was the same - worked as a good warm down. I just made sure I stayed in a low gear and spun along gently.

The only issue was the extra time on the long day but I kind of enjoyed the ride back as I really felt I'd achieved something.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • spasypaddy
    well yes but im riding there with Willy B, who for what of a better phrase goes like very sloppy shit off a shovel
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    spasypaddy wrote:
    well yes but im riding there with Willy B, who for what of a better phrase goes like very sloppy shoot off a shovel

If he's riding with gears then good luck to you. I for one have enoyjed his transition to single speed for the commute... :twisted:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm being thick, I can't find the locations of the drop-offs. I've checked out http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/T ... r_Info.htm but that just refers to the email. I've checked the email and it says that there are 4 but not their locations. Can anyone point me to something which shows you where they are?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mrbobuk
    mrbobuk Posts: 20
    Sketchley wrote:
    So only a month and three days to go. I am not ready but I have start time 7.20am! July will be a month without alcohol, a diet and lots of cycling. I need to loose a stone at least before the day. I have no idea if I'll complete it or not! Going to give it all trying. Anyone else on here doing it? I'm cycling on charity place for Macmillan and ultimately in memory of my brother.

You can sponsor me here if you like. http://www.justgiving.com/Chris-Williamson-Ride100

Hi Chris, I don't know you mate and hardly ever post in BikeRadar but after reading the ride was in memory of your brother, I thought I'd sponsor, as Macmillan is such a great cause. Don't get lost on the course (I've done it before on one of the Sportives I've done)! All the best mate - you'll nail it.

Rob
    Derby
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" - Merckx
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    The car parks and drop-off points can be found here:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid= ... 478f&msa=0

Drop-off A: Newham Dockside, 1000 Dockside Road, London E16 2QU
    Drop-off B: Jamaica Rd, London Borough of Southwark, London SE16 4RT
    Drop-off C: Bus lanes either side between Whiston Road and Cremer Street
    Drop-off D: Blackwall Ln, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London SE10, UK
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Having ridden a couple of very large European sportives with 7500-13000 entrants I have to say the thought of 20k UK mostly commuter cycle to work riders sends chills down my spine, be safe people steer clear of groups I would say.

I hope its dry for you all.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    There is going to be shunts, no question. Just a case of avoiding them.

I think the closed road thing will make people do silly things.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Peat wrote:
    There is going to be shunts, no question. Just a case of avoiding them.

I think the closed road thing will make people do silly things.

Yeh really folks ride like everyone is out to kill you is the safest option.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sketchley
    71 miles today in 5hr15mins moving 6hr10m total, basically the whole route from kingston to kingston plus there and back from my house. That leaves me 2hr50mins for the run out to kingston and from there back to he mall I should be able to that as only 29 miles and only hills to worry about are Sawyers and Wimbledon village. I'm a bit concerned that if I don't get Abinger by 11.30 I'll take the detour to avoid leith hill, if I get there before I have no option but between 11.30 and 12.30 it's optional, it does mean hammering it for the fist 50 miles as I'll only have 3.5 hours. Hopefully I won't get delayed and be forced to take it after 12.30.....

Today's ride hurt a lot, massive headwind all the way out from kingston to weybridge and beyond which being alone I had to deal with head on. By the time I got to ripley I was spent already and the run from ripley to newlands corner wasn't the best time I've had on a bike, so I stopped for lunch for 30mins at newlands. Leith hill hurt, but then I seemed to get second wind after. Hopefully on the day I can get nice run out to kingston and onto newlands with a bit of shelter from the wind from being in a group, I certainly don't want to do it on the front... Must remember to recover on the downhills and not to try and set speed records as that hurts just as much as going up hill..... It is fun though.... Bring on Sunday.......

Revised my plans, going to attempt gentle commutes on Tuesday and Thursday to keep the legs going....

Also going to register at Excel on Thursday anyone fancy lunch?
    --
    Chris