London Ride 100

Comments

• mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    Good work mate. I got out for 60 miles saturday, pretty nervous about sunday, first century and training has not gone to plan due to illness.

What's you're start time again?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    mpdouglas wrote:
    The car parks and drop-off points can be found here:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid= ... 478f&msa=0

Drop-off A: Newham Dockside, 1000 Dockside Road, London E16 2QU
    Drop-off B: Jamaica Rd, London Borough of Southwark, London SE16 4RT
    Drop-off C: Bus lanes either side between Whiston Road and Cremer Street
    Drop-off D: Blackwall Ln, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London SE10, UK
    Thanks
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    mbthegreat wrote:
    Good work mate. I got out for 60 miles saturday, pretty nervous about sunday, first century and training has not gone to plan due to illness.

What's you're start time again?

7.56 it'll be my first century too... Although I have done 92 before.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I've only ever done over 100 miles twice before, but its really not that big a deal IMHO. If you're used to sitting on your bike, if you look after yourself where fuelling's concerned, and if you have even a moderate level of self-discipline you'll be fine. Any talk of 100 miles being "the cyclist's marathon" is guff.
  • mbthegreat
    I've only ever done over 100 miles twice before, but its really not that big a deal IMHO. If you're used to sitting on your bike, if you look after yourself where fuelling's concerned, and if you have even a moderate level of self-discipline you'll be fine. Any talk of 100 miles being "the cyclist's marathon" is guff.

Yeah I think it will be ok, and I'm aiming for 7 hours give or take. Just gonna go at an easy pace till we hit the hills, do an easy pace up the hill, and then an easy pace back home... :mrgreen:

Shortly after recovering from food poisoning that kept me off the bike for nearly three weeks I went out on one of the first really hot days of the year, did Leith and Box, and then bonked like I have never bonked before on the way home. Ended up squatting over the bike outside Pizza Express in Cheam, my legs cramping like crazy and me completely incapable of standing up properly to even get off the bike, so that's knocked my confidence a bit.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I am not doing this but 100 miles really isn't that bad on a bike. I did 115 on the dynamo and could have kept on going , with my next longest only being 66 miles the week before. Just pace yourself and make sure you keep yourself fuelled and hydrated!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    100 on the bike is doable for most it's just being able to do at speed! :twisted:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    How was the road surface? Have they swept the loose gravel left by the surface dressing?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Kingston Wheelers did a club run out that way, taking in the route from Kingston to the top of Box Hill. I'm glad I did it as I'd not done Newlands before, I set off hard up the hill and suddenly realised that it was a bit longer than I thought, like about twice as long! The decent on the other side will be great, provided people don't play silly buggers as if you come of there it will be pretty painful. Leith was fine, as usual, though the decent of the back of that was very, very dark under the trees. Another dangerous section, especially as it is narrower and more twisty than the Newlands one.

It was a good ride all in all, I averaged 19.9mph for 73 miles, the first 7 were slower so if I do the first 20 miles at a good pace, and then the same for the additional miles at the end I should be able to get over 20mph average and therefore crack 5 hours. Here's to getting into a good group and helping drive the pace on...

The road up by Headley common is slowly getting better, much of the gravel has finally gone but its still a little sketchy in places.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • sketchley
    How was the road surface? Have they swept the loose gravel left by the surface dressing?

Yes all done and much better than last week. Here's hoping no new sections appear during the week....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    100 on the bike is doable for most it's just being able to do at speed! :twisted:

^^^this

well kind of.... 100 miles isn't a problem, 100 hilly miles is a bit but in my own time I could do it without a problem, 100 hilly miles when there is broom waggon hovering you up if your not quick enough and 20,000 other cyclist creating bottleneck etc might well be, plus there are shortcuts which are optional then mandatory, which means I amy end up not doing 100 miles.

Then again deciced last night to risk the train home, SWT are running full service just restricting how many bikes they let on. Plan is to ride to Waterloo at the end and get on platform and be first on train.
    --
    Chris

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Sketchley wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

^^^this

well kind of.... 100 miles isn't a problem, 100 hilly miles is a bit but in my own time I could do it without a problem, 100 hilly miles when there is broom waggon hovering you up if your not quick enough and 20,000 other cyclist creating bottleneck etc might well be, plus there are shortcuts which are optional then mandatory, which means I amy end up not doing 100 miles.

Then again deciced last night to risk the train home, SWT are running full service just restricting how many bikes they let on. Plan is to ride to Waterloo at the end and get on platform and be first on train.

Hence why I have no urge to do a sportive, especially this behemoth! I am planning on doing some Audaxes soon and see how I get on with it in some 100-200km rides and then go from there.

I am sure all of you that are doing this will have fun!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Got my marshal site today, its' the nearest I'll ever come to cycling 100 miles. :cry: So anyone need any special cheering along Coombe Lane let me know. :D
  • cheekyget
    cheekyget Posts: 6
    Got my marshal site today, its' the nearest I'll ever come to cycling 100 miles. :cry: So anyone need any special cheering along Coombe Lane let me know. :D
    I'll have some of that cheer Mr Cellophane !! I will be riding for SCOPE

I'm getting a lift up from Sutton ,Surrey. Am I right in thinking that anyone getting a lift can only go as far as the drop off zones (which one is the best one ??). Or can you get closer
    Good luck everyone!!
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Is anyone cycling from the south west? Will be leaving Richmond early to get to Statford for 5am, and even though the info pack for competitors say you can't cycle the route the roads are only closed from 5am onwards so I'm hoping I can use the most sensible and direct route to the start.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Going to take Blackwall I think. One of the few times I'll be able to.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    edited July 2013
    Is anyone cycling from the south west? Will be leaving Richmond early to get to Statford for 5am, and even though the info pack for competitors say you can't cycle the route the roads are only closed from 5am onwards so I'm hoping I can use the most sensible and direct route to the start.

Yes Keyser. I'm heading in from Southfields. I've looked at this today and it's not clear.

Will be picking up a mate on the way (both of us on bikes) but will be aiming to get there around the same time (I'm off at 6:16). From what I can see London Bridge is not closed so I'm hopeful you can head over that go up the Mile End Road, cross the course at the A12 and get into the park. I think we'll be early enough to do this but if we're turned around we can pick up the signs from the Jamaica Road drop off point.

Just had a look at the Mile End Rd/A12 junction and it looks like you should be able to cross it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I looked at getting in from Surrey and am staying at friends in Islington instead. Working out a route and leaving time was going my head in.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I looked at getting in from Surrey and am staying at friends in Islington instead. Working out a route and leaving time was going my head in.

Yes, this is going to be the tough bit.

My morning is looking like this:

3:30 - wake-up :shock:
    3:45 - leave High Wycombe
    4:20 - Park car near Kew Bridge, unpack car and cycle to Stratford
    5:30 - Arrive at Stratford (14 mile cycle from car)
    Eat breakfast that I have brought with me before handing off my baggage and heading for the 6:31 start pen
  • jonny_trousers
    I'm getting my excuses in early. I had my first bike fit yesterday (awesome) and towards the end of it the guy said, "You're using new muscles now so take it easy for a couple of weeks - small chainring only and spin." Oops!

On my commute afterwards I felt amazing and pretty much PB'd both the way in and out. Today, however, muscles I didn't know I had feel like lead. God help me on Sunday! I'm still determined to break the 6 hour mark, though, hold ups permitting.
  • Gazzaputt
    I'm getting my excuses in early. I had my first bike fit yesterday (awesome) and towards the end of it the guy said, "You're using new muscles now so take it easy for a couple of weeks - small chainring only and spin." Oops!

On my commute afterwards I felt amazing and pretty much PB'd both the way in and out. Today, however, muscles I didn't know I had feel like lead. God help me on Sunday! I'm still determined to break the 6 hour mark, though, hold ups permitting.

Did you go to Cadence in Crystal Palace in the end?
  • jonny_trousers
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I did. Really impressed. Like you said, beyond the fit you're taught the technique of riding right and immediately I feel massive improvements.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I did. Really impressed. Like you said, beyond the fit you're taught the technique of riding right and immediately I feel massive improvements.

Gotta love Des. I did exactly the same thing, a month before my JOGLE. Grin.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jonny_trousers
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Gotta love Des. I did exactly the same thing, a month before my JOGLE. Grin.

Yeah, lovely bloke. Really great experience.
  • Gazzaputt
    6 weeks on from mine and the difference is unreal in my riding.

Must go back for a follow up.
  • Hierotochan
    Hierotochan Posts: 108
    Hi there,

after weeks of advance notice @ work I was told I wouldn't get the day off a month ago. Today I have been told I now will.
    It's now too late to get my name registered with the charity our office has signed up with (http://www.myvoicelondon.org.uk/).
    Is there anyone out there who has a "spare" space on their team?

Many thanks,

J.
    Welcome to Hoogerland, Population: Heroes.

Danny Hart; How does he sit down with balls that big?
  • jonny_trousers
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    6 weeks on from mine and the difference is unreal in my riding.

Must go back for a follow up.

I particularly liked his way of expressing how you aim for the perfect pedal stroke. That 'wiping crap off the bottom of your shoe' thing never worked for me. Des's way is simple and the extra power you put through the bike is really noticeable.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    So my sister is riding on Sunday with some friends. They live around the Cotswold's and Welsh Borders so haven't had a chance to recce the route at all.

She asked me if I knew anyone who had local knowledge that could give them a few pointers about the route. What would the places they should be careful or wary of, poor roads, tricky descents, narrow lanes etc?

Cheers.
  • mbthegreat
    chilling wrote:
    So my sister is riding on Sunday with some friends. They live around the Cotswold's and Welsh Borders so haven't had a chance to recce the route at all.

She asked me if I knew anyone who had local knowledge that could give them a few pointers about the route. What would the places they should be careful or wary of, poor roads, tricky descents, narrow lanes etc?

Cheers.

Leith hill ticks all three boxes!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I particularly liked his way of expressing how you aim for the perfect pedal stroke. That 'wiping crap off the bottom of your shoe' thing never worked for me. Des's way is simple and the extra power you put through the bike is really noticeable.

Which is? I don't live anywhere near Crystal Palace, so the chances of me getting it from the horse's mouth are nil.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)