London Ride 100

Comments

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    4:08. Would have been at least 20 mins better without wife and kids stop, and the various calls/texts required to arrange it.

Grounds for divorce?
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    alansd1980 wrote:
    I saw her in dorking an on the dual carriage way up to leatherhead.

Didnt think I was going crazy

Marianne-Vos-selfie.jpg

From what I read Laura Trott was riding with her Dad which could explain the difference in pace.

How did you get on in the end asprilla?

Is that the guy from Master chef all raphered up?
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Oh, and picked up a pair of full fingered gloves in Richmond Park on the way home, so if you've dropped some or know anyone who did let me know here. </longshot>
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    antsmithmk wrote:
    alansd1980 wrote:
    I saw her in dorking an on the dual carriage way up to leatherhead.

Didnt think I was going crazy

Marianne-Vos-selfie.jpg

From what I read Laura Trott was riding with her Dad which could explain the difference in pace.

How did you get on in the end asprilla?

Is that the guy from Master chef all raphered up?

Yes that's John Torode. he done L2B for the first time last year. Appears to be well into his cycling.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Enjoyed that, although I was rather moist. Didn't go particularly quickly, even by my standards. When the rain really started t ocome down I was quite happy to cruise round. 5:15 moving, picked up a mate and rode with him for a bit, then picked up another in Wimbledon for the final approach. Had to stop sever al time for various friends and family en route. After we finished we had some food and a couple of pints waiting for someone.
    Saw a few accidents, most caused by contact from people moving around on straight stretches that I saw. Although on the final run in along Whitehall heard a bang as we passed Downing Street, found a guy had hit the back of a parked van about 300 yards further up. Stopped because nobody else had and he was groaning, but not coherent. Someone was calling for an ambulance when one of the police from Downing Street arrived and another guy that seemed to know what he was doing so we left them to it. His head left quite a dent in the back of the van. Hope he's ok.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Argh, have to say that was the most miserable ride I've ever done and that's after getting hypothermia in the Etape this year and a wiggle chilterns 100 in the pissing rain (in fact, for every sportive I've done this year it's pissed it down).

Had an official car parking spot (NCP London Bridge) and I queued for almost an hour to get in (I understand none of the other car parks had this issue). I get the bike out of the car to find I have a puncture. I change the tube and my pump breaks as I try to pump it up (power awesome) and have to borrow a pump from the nice chaps in the car next to me. So I arrive at the Olympic park after my start time, so have to join a later wave and finally start over an hour late....my friends have been waiting for me for an hour and a half just after the start, but they went on the left side of the dual carriage way and my wave is directed to the rhs...it takes 20 mins to find them.

And then it rained.

So moving time of 5hrs 08 mins in the end (no idea of official time) as we were riding slowly and getting caught up with all the nodders. People walking up the merest of bumps (there were no hills to speak of left). It was like riding CS7 for 4 of the 5 hours. Had to stop and walk for about 20 mins in Richmond park due to an accident ahead.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Asprilla wrote:
    Hated the first part; didn't meet the friend I was going ride with and then had two punctures before I got to Kingston. I was ready to knock it on the head at Walton and got for a fry-up.

Then I saw Marianne Vos and Laura Trott and figured I'd follow them for a while. Stopped to kiss my kids in Walton and caught up with Vos and Trott again. Took a tow from them from Weybridge to Newlands where I dropped them and kicked on from there.

I love riding in the pissing rain, especially when it's not cold. It's just great.

I got another puncture in Esher which marred things a little, but I finished with 4.05 as a moving time. Happy with that.

I passed you fixing a puncture in Richmond Park, I think, Chris.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Hated the first part; didn't meet the friend I was going ride with and then had two punctures before I got to Kingston. I was ready to knock it on the head at Walton and got for a fry-up.

Then I saw Marianne Vos and Laura Trott and figured I'd follow them for a while. Stopped to kiss my kids in Walton and caught up with Vos and Trott again. Took a tow from them from Weybridge to Newlands where I dropped them and kicked on from there.

I love riding in the pissing rain, especially when it's not cold. It's just great.

I got another puncture in Esher which marred things a little, but I finished with 4.05 as a moving time. Happy with that.

I passed you fixing a puncture in Richmond Park, I think, Chris.

On the left at the top of Sawyers Hill? I was angry.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • FoldingJoe
    Yep, must have been you. Bliss top underneath a see-through rain cape and grey Cervelo.

Was going to stop and say hi, but felt sure you'd catch up at some point, which you probably did but I didn't spot you.

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    Some poor guy behind me managed to stack it after the finish line - didn't look too serious and must have been slightly embarrassing for the chap involved!!

• FoldingJoe
    4.50 total time, about 4.30 moving time (stopped at Westcott and grabbed a bacon buttie from the nice ladies on the stall.) :)

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Thought it was really good - a bit disappointed that they took the hills out, but it was for the right reasons, and I managed to get my 100 in with the rides to and from Belsize Park where I was staying. Didn't mind the rain at all - once I realised that I just could not get any wetter, I just treated it like a very long commute! Took it easy as I was a little nervous of coming off less than a year after a broken wrist. Official time of 6:03, moving time of 5:47 which I'm pretty happy with, given that on the bumps I did a Bradley and descended like a girl. Might even put in for it next year. Worst thing was the four hour drive home and City losing to Arsenal :(
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Longest ride I have ever done, with waiting for mates at start, piss stop and a puncture did 5:48.... will need to up the long ride training to do sub 6 hours next year.

I have never done a mass participation event and was very impressed with the organisation. The level of cycling ability was very mixed so the decision to cut it short was the correct one. Quite scary when you are coasting off Newlands and people are braking, same with Putney High St. The level of riding on the Embankment is obviously a lot higher than we give credit for as the shoulder check as a indicator was badly lacking.

The extra 15 mile ride home was a man up too far!!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited August 2014
    I was on the TV coverage, I'm dead famous.

17 minutes in when they were interviewing the couple who were getting married, before the start I can be seen behind them getting on my bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Me on two mates started in different waves.
    Mate one flew off without waiting and broke his collar bone at Weybridge.
    I was next, soft pedalled until mate two caught up around mile 8. We made it to Richmond Park before the heavens opened and he ripped an inner tube on some glass. Slight problem, he has pinhead security skewers and left the key in his bag, on the truck, at the start line!
    The cause we were riding for was very close to him so in true domestqiue style I handed him my bike and gave him a push.
    Leaving me standing in the park, in the pishsing rain, with his broken bike! Ride over. :evil:
    It didn't get much better after that as I had to walk for miles in the rain with spectators giving it the 'well done mate, at least you tried!' and still go the finish line to get my bike and bag back. Still, money was raised for a decent charity and I played my part.
    And I did hop the barriers at the end to collect a medal and goody bag :D (vitamin tables for the 50+? Thanks.)
  • That was a baptism of water, as a 'newbie' to cycling I've never ridden in anything like that before.
    The journey on the way back was pretty scary to say the least. After Leatherhead it was non-stop. Riding up roads that were flooded with water coming up from the drains with the sound of thunder and lighting going off above was pretty mad. Esher through Kingston into Wimbledon was the worst bit for me - Armageddon like.
    So many punctures out there. Only saw one bloke down on a sharp corner into Dorking , didn't look good.Hope all is okay.
    In the end managed to get round with out incident in 4.38 Total ,which included a 5 min stop at the Newlands Corner hub.
    Great event , well organised as always by the VLM lot. Nice one to all the marshals/volunteers etc couldn't have been too nice for them either.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    The cause we were riding for was very close to him so in true domestqiue style I handed him my bike and gave him a push.
    You sir are a gentlemen. Kudos.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    Enjoyed it but had a difficult start as the london bridge car park access was a nightmare. Ended up late for my wave so had to hammer it to the start which was not ideal. Then generally real poor riding standards - and frequently from people with all the gear. I was lucky not to get taken out several times. Saw a lot of ambulances and some of them looked like they were treating fairly nasty injuries (particularly one poor guy at the bottom of the descent after Oxshot at the A3 junction)

Discovered my brake/rim combo whilst awesome for stopping in the dry basically gives up completely and b*ggers off in torrential rain. Whislt disappointing, cutting the route was definitely the right decision. 4.45 total time. No idea of moving time as it is irrelevant. Quite a bit slower than I was hoping/aiming for. Ah well at least plenty of room for improvement.

Supporters on the side of the roads were awesome - respect to them for braving the weather. Was quite uplifting - esp through Dorking.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • First of all - massive kudos to all who did this in very testing conditions, some great times there also!!! Really hope it'll be 3rd time lucky for me next year with the ballot...which leads me to...

..so I heard from my brother that 3 of the 6 members of his cycling club had pulled out from the event due to the weather...but they've been promised a place for next year because of it.

So I've been denied an entry this year because of fair weather riders...and almost certainly next year too.

I'm pretty disgusted at this, they are not exactly newbies either (not at all).

If anything those who braved the conditions this year only to be denied access to the full course should be guaranteed a place next year, I'd have no problem with that.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    4.50 total time, about 4.30 moving time (stopped at Westcott and grabbed a bacon buttie from the nice ladies on the stall.) :)

So now it's over I'll confess - my brother was orange F and so we thought that if we modified my blue L into an F I would start alongside the oranges F... His modifications passed muster however... Blue F start time was post 7.10 (not even the 6.45 blue L was meant to at...) Yeah Karma sucks. :D We laugh about it now.

Still did it in total time of 4.30 but with nasty cramp in the last 10 miles from quads and hams and 3 minor stops. Fuck it hurts when they both go off at the same time though.

Alas it has made me ponder making my 3rd N+1 - a "proper" sunday best bike from bits n pieces on sale when I can... Oh dear.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe wrote:

So now it's over I'll confess - my brother was orange F and so we thought that if we modified my blue L into an F I would start alongside the oranges F... His modifications passed muster however... Blue F start time was post 7.10 (not even the 6.45 blue L was meant to at...) Yeah Karma sucks. :D We laugh about it now.

Still did it in total time of 4.30 but with nasty cramp in the last 10 miles from quads and hams and 3 minor stops. fark it hurts when they both go off at the same time though.

Alas it has made me ponder making my 3rd N+1 - a "proper" sunday best bike from bits n pieces on sale when I can... Oh dear.

That'll teach ya!! ;)

I saw a guy with a Hoy jump into Blue K in front of L, and wondered if it was you!!

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    A cyclist has died after collapsing during the RideLondon event through London and Surrey.

Kris Cook, 36, had a cardiac arrest at Newlands Corner, near Guildford, during the RideLondon-Surrey 100 on Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28742179
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Marianne Vos (in WC kit) went past me at mile 42, at about 0820, Trott at Mile 95 (81), who I stuck with down the embankment for a bit and then finished directly behind. Wasn't expecting her to just stop shortly after the finish line. Didn't expect either to be so small for some reason.

RIP to the Newlands Corner man.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Agent57 wrote:
    A cyclist has died after collapsing during the RideLondon event through London and Surrey.

Kris Cook, 36, had a cardiac arrest at Newlands Corner, near Guildford, during the RideLondon-Surrey 100 on Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28742179
    Oh dear, condolences to all that knew him.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    That'll teach ya!! ;)

I saw a guy with a Hoy jump into Blue K in front of L, and wondered if it was you!!

I know, suck karma burn and if only... But still was good fun.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • FoldingJoe
    With that much Gabba kit around, the start was like Milan-San Remo 2013.

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Well - We managed to do the FreeRide on Saturday - we got there promptly and had a good ride around the circuit - stopping frequently for photos and in the festival stands - niece loved it - it did get busier as the day went along, but with 2 of us flanking her she was safe enough - especially at the 5-6mph that we travelled at (I think she was just overawed by all the riders as she's normally loads faster, but it's not a race!). A bit disappointed that the bling bikes & tabard stalls in Green park were closed, but we were there late on.
    Didn't spot any pro riders - hardly surprising though.
    Some really cool "bikes" too - they looked fun....
    Will probably try and do it with all the N&N's next year - just with a few more outriders ...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Marianne Vos (in WC kit) went past me at mile 42, at about 0820, Trott at Mile 95 (81), who I stuck with down the embankment for a bit and then finished directly behind. Wasn't expecting her to just stop shortly after the finish line. Didn't expect either to be so small for some reason.

We must have been riding together then, as Trott overtook me with ten miles to go and I hopped on the back of the group. I had assumed at the time that the girl in the orange kit with them was Vos, having been in the same wave as them both at the start (so heard them mentioned over the PA - along with Martin Johnson and John Torode - but was far back so couldn't see them). Would be interested to hear who it actually was.

I took the alternative option of blasting past as we came onto the mall as the road was relatively clear ahead of the group, plus, well, you have to sprint on the Mall surely?

I was the big chap on the black disk-braked Fuji in a http://www.gregarios.co.uk/ club shirt.

I have to say, that really was the cherry on the cake of an amazing ride - riding home with a double gold medallist. The weather somehow only added to the occasion.

I had to feel for the later waves, coming back through Kingston there was a mass of them literally at a standstill on the other side of the road - it did make me very happy with my approach of riding hard to get ahead of the crowds as much as possible, despite paying for it as I crawled up the newlands climb.

I was surprised at the number of punctures, but then I was equally surprised at the number of people on superbikes with deep carbon rims in what was once a hurricane. I was very relieved that my tyres survived, as I realised only late the night before (and staying at a friends house) that I'd forgotten my tyre levers.

A brilliant day, and I'd say to anyone who scoffs at the ride or lack of climbs - stay away. You'll reduce my odds of getting in again next year.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Well - We managed to do the FreeRide on Saturday - we got there promptly and had a good ride around the circuit - stopping frequently for photos and in the festival stands - niece loved it - it did get busier as the day went along, but with 2 of us flanking her she was safe enough - especially at the 5-6mph that we travelled at (I think she was just overawed by all the riders as she's normally loads faster, but it's not a race!). A bit disappointed that the bling bikes & tabard stalls in Green park were closed, but we were there late on.
    Didn't spot any pro riders - hardly surprising though.
    Some really cool "bikes" too - they looked fun....
    Will probably try and do it with all the N&N's next year - just with a few more outriders ...

I did this with my brother, was really good to see so many little 'un's on the route and makes me think I'll take my 2 next year...although there was so many people (60,0000) that I think I'd worry a bit at ensuring a 4 and 7 year old will be safe. Any problems with older riders getting too close etc? It looked to me the best approach would be to find a group of parents with kids and stick together, just to make sure other riders know they are there.

Also...saw a guy in full aero kit - helmet, skinsuit, deep dish wheels, tribars, aero water bottle and so on. I really, really hope he did it for a laugh or a bet...I began to feel sorry for him after a while as people kept pointing and laughing, and I hope he was in on the joke (he must've been!)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    TimothyW wrote:

We must have been riding together then, as Trott overtook me with ten miles to go and I hopped on the back of the group. I had assumed at the time that the girl in the orange kit with them was Vos, having been in the same wave as them both at the start (so heard them mentioned over the PA - along with Martin Johnson and John Torode - but was far back so couldn't see them). Would be interested to hear who it actually was.

I took the alternative option of blasting past as we came onto the mall as the road was relatively clear ahead of the group, plus, well, you have to sprint on the Mall surely?

Grin. Yes probably same group. Think I recognise you - I'd argue I was the larger one, on a trek in a BHF jersey. Major quad cramp on the apex of the turn on to the mall nearly had me lose it, but held it in before a gentle wind up - second year in a row I didn't have enough left to sprint. Damn going off too fast!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?