London Ride 100

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I know a few people who last year photcopied others numbers and just joined in.

Not that I'm condoning it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • It's basically going to become the London marathon isn't it ?

Shame.

I cannot see one thing wrong with this event going in this direction.

It get's cycling accepted more by the masses, more people try and get into cycling because of this event, it makes it easier to have other events like this in other locations and so many other knock on benefits.

This opens up cycling rather than keeping it exclusive and this event would never be ran if cycling was exclusive.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    It's basically going to become the London marathon isn't it ?

Shame.

It get's cycling accepted more by the masses, more people try and get into cycling because of this event, it makes it easier to have other events like this in other locations and so many other knock on benefits.

This opens up cycling rather than keeping it exclusive and this event would never be ran if cycling was exclusive.

S'more me being selfish. Realistically it means I can only likely get a place if I get everyone I know to pay (charity) for me to do it, which just seems a bit disingenuous. My motives for wanting to do it are obvious, and compared to what I do the rest of the time on the bike, not all worthy of sponsorship.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Well - I did get a ballot place, my wife didn't ... I've deferred my place till next year though as we organised a family event that day (doh!) - had to pay this years entry fee for the privilege and will still have to pay next years too - hopefully wife will get in next year and we can ride together - if not I'm going to be going hell for leather ;)

Sponsorship for Sporting events is becoming all to common for me - I don't mind giving to charity, but these "minimum sponsorship requirements" leave a bit of a sour taste for me.

Perhaps it should be a bit different - eg speed related sponsorship ?
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    http://www.capitalfm.com/london/charity ... de-london/

Capital's charity have just launched a few spaces if people are struggling to find a place without raising stupid amounts of cash.
  • It's basically going to become the London marathon isn't it ?

Shame.

S'more me being selfish. Realistically it means I can only likely get a place if I get everyone I know to pay (charity) for me to do it, which just seems a bit disingenuous. My motives for wanting to do it are obvious, and compared to what I do the rest of the time on the bike, not all worthy of sponsorship.

While I can see it getting more difficult to get an individual place, can you not get a place via the team ballot through your club? It does require someone to organise, but my club got 20 spaces(5 teams) this year through this route and it is how I got a place last year
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    It's basically going to become the London marathon isn't it ?

Shame.

I'm ok with it turning out to be a mass participation event. I think it's a great way of driving people into cycling. It's not exactly a thrilling route and I reckon more enthusiastic sportive riders will be attracted to tougher events anyway
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Rick - does the firm you work for do matched giving? If so, that takes a lot of the sting out of charity fundraising for these sort of events...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    mroli wrote:
    Rick - does the firm you work for do matched giving? If so, that takes a lot of the sting out of charity fundraising for these sort of events...

No. We're all too greedy.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Rick, I don't believe for one minute that you are greedy!!!

If you want to prove your generosity, then just click on the linky below!

As for the rest of you, feel free to prove by the same method that BR contributors are in fact the bestest, most generous, people ever!!

It's Easter. JC would have approved...
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Just got in through Samaritans. Min £400, with no entry fee.

As some charities still have places you may be able to get a better target fund raising amount as the entries have to be done by Friday.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Its a really hard one isn't it. Even keen runners don't necessarily run marathons as regularly as say cyclists will do 100 mile events. So the money seems exorbitant to ride roads that you can ride any day of the week. But charities have to raise money somehow and have been signed up to very expensive guaranteed places that they need to fill as they have already paid for them. For instance, a significant portion of that £400 is entry fee - it won't go to the Samaritans.

It is, however, traffic free roads, well organised and a fantastic event to do.
  • FoldingJoe
    I'm happy with £400 - seems like a good, attainable, target to me, in quite a short space of time.

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm in on a Charity place. I have a grand to raise, but it a charity I care for (Bliss) otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Good luck for the ride and the fund-raising mate :)
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    As an aside, I had to pay my entry fee myself with the Alzheimer's society. If I understand it correctly, that means all my fund-raising goes to them.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • PBo
    Asprilla - I am too!

You joined the Bliss facebook and strava groups yet?
  • asprilla
    PBo wrote:
    Asprilla - I am too!

You joined the Bliss facebook and strava groups yet?

I'm in the Facebook group and I'll join the Strava one tomorrow. Have you got a link?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    So, I'm off in Wave A at stupid o'clock.........
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • FoldingJoe
    Wave L - 6.45am.

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Asprilla wrote:
    So, I'm off in Wave A at stupid o'clock.........

Snap, 5:15 open time :shock:
  • FoldingJoe
    What time is wave A off at, Asprilla?

• asprilla
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    What time is wave A off at, Asprilla?

Start Area: Black
    Wave:A
    Wave Load opening time: 05:42
    Wave Load closing time:06:12
    Start Time:06:42

Pete, if you see a bloke in a bright turquoise Bliss jersey asleep over a grey Soloist then try not to wake me on the way past.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • PBo
    I'm using you as my hare Asprilla...I probably can stay in bed until 5, and alarm goes off at 5.40 anyway on a week day, so could be worse...

Anyway, the rest of you....don't forget to give generously! See my linky.....
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Oh jesus,

Start Area: Blue
    Wave:G
    Wave Load opening time: 05:25
    Wave Load closing time:05:55
    Start Time:06:25

Still not sure how I am getting there!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Slightly more civilised start time I guess:

Start Area: Blue
    Wave:N
    Wave Load opening time: 06:15
    Wave Load closing time:06:45
    Start Time:07:15
    They have laid on special trains from Richmond, great. The first one gets to Stratford at 6:53, ballcocks! Only suitable for people with a start time after 7:40 it says. What use is that?
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Crikey. Brutal.

06:25 start, 05:25 wave opening time.

That's a 4.00am start from Kingstonian for me. Never thought I'd need lights for Ride100 :lol:
  • FoldingJoe
    I just need to find somewhere to park the van that I can sleep in, get to the start easily on the bike, and then get back from the finish, with as little hassle as possible.

Thought Greenwich might be a good option. Not too far to Stratford, and then jump on the river boat back.

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    I just need to find somewhere to park the van that I can sleep in, get to the start easily on the bike, and then get back from the finish, with as little hassle as possible.

Thought Greenwich might be a good option. Not too far to Stratford, and then jump on the river boat back.

That would work - don't know whether the foot tunnel's open 24-hours though.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Slightly earlier than last year:

Start Area: Yellow
    Wave:A
    Wave Load opening time: 05:15
    Wave Load closing time:05:45
    Start Time:06:15

Now to find out if the rest of my team mates are starting at the same time!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.