Brian Cookson to run for UCI President

Comments

• So the delegates are voting on proposed amendments to the UCI Constitution by show of hands. That's nice and accurate, and auditable, no?

Luuc Eisenga @EisengaL:
    First vote: sitting behind a guy who raised his hand twice: one time in favor, one time against a proposal #legend
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    what happened? what happened?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:

currently voting on whether the vote on having a vote should be secret.

I think
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gsk82 wrote:

the NZ delegate has insisted on a vote on whether Pat's Fave proposed amendment - basically a change today to the Constitution - should be deferred for a year to the 2014 Congress. Basically if the majority of delegates vote for it to be deferred to next year's Congress, McQuaid's scuppered - he cant stand. If majority vote for it to be voted on today, he gets to stand and it' ll be a pretty good indication that he'll have enough backing to win the prez election.

If that makes sense.

Its like a cross between The Thick of It and Benny Hill over there
  • They have finally sorted out the wording:
    'Does congress accept to vote on the modification of article 51.1 today' - yes or no.

Colombian bloke playing a blinder for Pat. They could still be at it, 4 years from now. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Julien Pretot's just tweeted a pic from the Congress, accompanied by:
    'Interpreter blows a fuse at the UCI congress, banging her head on the window'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I was going to say the same (but with House of Cards and Mr Bean as the references)
    Twitter: @RichN95
    'Does congress accept to vote on the modification of article 51.1 today' - yes or no.

Colombian bloke playing a blinder for Pat. They could still be at it, 4 years from now. :P

A full Olympic cycling. Fitting.
  • gsk82 wrote:

the NZ delegate has insisted on a vote on whether Pat's Fave proposed amendment - basically a change today to the Constitution - should be deferred for a year to the 2014 Congress. Basically if the majority of delegates vote for it to be deferred to next year's Congress, McQuaid's scuppered - he cant stand. If majority vote for it to be voted on today, he gets to stand and it' ll be a pretty good indication that he'll have enough backing to win the prez election.

If that makes sense.

There was something in the midst of all the tweets about the incumbent having a right to stand.

First I heard that mooted.

You've got to admire McQuaid's brawling abilities.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Richard Moore ‏@richardmoore73 26s
    I just overheard: '21-21' in the vote. So what now?

Richard Moore ‏@richardmoore73 1m
    I may have mis-heard.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Feels a bit like they know at the congress that Paddy is going to win

It's quite funny really
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    The strategy seems to be to propose so many votes that the delegates forget what they are voting for. McQuaid will be voted back into power by pro-Cookson delegates who think they are ordering the lasagne for lunch.
  • CAS would (will?) have a field day with this
  • gsk82
    couldn't they vote to have the vote today then vote no meaning that the other vote isn't required? or would they then vote on whether or not to have the other vote anyway?

god i hate sports politics, what an absolute sack of shite.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • It sounds like a local cycling club AGM.

Have they voted on what to do for the Xmas party yet?
  • gsk82
    It sounds like a local cycling club AGM.

Have they voted on what to do for the Xmas party yet?

if it was anything like our club agm someone would nominate someone who wasn't there yet, then you'd all vote them in and give them the "good" news when they arrived.
  • Kimm.jpg
  • chard Moore ‏@richardmoore73 52s
    Christ! I was right. 21-21. McQuaid chuckles. 'It needed a majority', he says. 'The question has not been accepted.' So he's ineligible?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    The vote to hold a vote on 51.1 (i.e. so Pat can stand without a valid nomination) was 21-21 so not carried. So no change to 51.1 today. So Pat can't stand. I think.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    get ready for the rabbit...
  • RichN95.
    Kimm.jpg
    It's like a cycling version of Father Ted. Off screen there's Sean Kelly with a bottle of Jamesons shouting 'Feck'
  • dish_dash wrote:
    get ready for the rabbit...

Like...'but as the President, I have the casting vote in the event of a tie...'
  • CAS would (will?) have a field day with this

"Cillian Kelly ‏@irishpeloton 13m
    It's looking increasingly likely that CAS will be deciding who is the UCI President some time in 2014."
  • "Neal Rogers ‏@nealrogers 21m
    McQuaid: 51.1. will not be discussed and vote upon today. (Applause). Big.

Andreas Fensholm ‏@fensholm 17m
    @nealrogers @mrconde meaning what actually?

Neal Rogers ‏@nealrogers 12m
    @fensholm @mrconde McQuaid will not (should not) be added to UCI presidential ballot, as he has no valid nomination from a federation."

Unfortunately I think the brackets in the final tweet are most likely. Pat will find a way to weasel his way out of this predicament. The latest from Inrng is that McQuaid is adamant that his Thai+Moroccan nominations are valid so he will go to a vote.

Also, the 21-21 split suggests there could be a 21-21 split in the McQuaid vs Cookson vote - what happens in the event of a tie? Rock-paper-scissors would seem appropriate.
  • gpreeves wrote:
    Also, the 21-21 split suggests there could be a 21-21 split in the McQuaid vs Cookson vote - what happens in the event of a tie? Rock-paper-scissors would seem appropriate.

Either put them into the Hunger Games arena, or let them race up Alpe D'Huez.

Phil and Paul are already lined up to do the commentary.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited September 2013
    If the vote was evens, gotta fear that McQuaid's going to win the electoral vote.

But as Cillian Kelly says, its straight to CAS.

And I betcha Makarov's going to pull the pin on that hand grenade of a dossier within the next few days
  • RichN95.
    Anyone know when the bikini round is due to start?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Inner Ring tweets:

28m
    21-21 vote split on a pro-McQuaid amendment. Suggests equal split between delegates for McQuaid vs Cookson vote later. Will be close

21m
    Pro McQuaid UCI constitution amendments rejected. But McQuaid insists Thai + Morocco nominations are OK so he will go to a vote with Cookson

15m
    @pariswheels yes, but he claims he's a member of Thai + Morocco feds and they nominated him ahead of June deadline so he's ok

What a joke
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Speech time.

10 mins for each candidate.

Cookson first then Pat.
  • "the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 2m
    Presidential head to head now as Cookson and McQuaid each have 10 minutes to make a final pitch the delegates before the vote"

Are they now allowed to use PowerPoint/backdrops or not? Trying to keep track of this farce has been difficult.