Brian Cookson to run for UCI President

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,548
    Why do the Twitterati imagine that UCI licence holders, specifically Cycling Ireland licence holders, necessarily have any interest in the presidency of the UCI, professional cycling or the whole USPostal debacle?

Everyone thinks that what is important to them is somehow important to others, or should be.

Worth noting that the Twitterati are all involved in some way (fan, rider, manager etc.) with PRO Road racing cycling. Dont hear BMX or Mountain bike people saying anything...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    The UCI tend to stay out of MTBing and BMXing....

thank god!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:

thank god!

Well they have worlds for both...
  • ddraver
    ...and World Cups. Luckily it seems to attract little attention from the Big wigs which allows people who actually know what they re talking about to run the sport. They just let them use their stripy logo
    - @ddraver
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    ddraver wrote:

thank god!

Pat presented the medals when i was at the women's Olympic MTB event

I hope the medalists realised it was pat that I was jeering, not them!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    forgot to post Pat's crazy email to the nat feds on Monday

http://s4.skins.net/misc/NFs_Presidents ... 6_2013.pdf

(sorry, sorry, I know its been passed on by the lingerie salesman - pls forgive me)
  • ddraver
    PBo wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

thank god!

Pat presented the medals when i was at the women's Olympic MTB event

I hope the medalists realised it was pat that I was jeering, not them!

Oh they try and bask in reflected glory make no mistake, they do naff all to create it though - which given how bad they are at it on the road scene is usually seen as a positive...
    - @ddraver
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    After the opening salvo from Pat Ihave to say I am now very disappointed with this thread's title. It should be

"UCI Heavyweight clash:Pat v Bri Let's get ready to rumble"

Read some positive comments from Millar and Vaughters about Brian, is he as good as they say? Or is he the UCI equivalent of a stalking horse? Can we expect other candidates to pop up in the coming weeks?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    After the opening salvo from Pat Ihave to say I am now very disappointed with this thread's title. It should be

Read some positive comments from Millar and Vaughters about Brian, is he as good as they say? Or is he the UCI equivalent of a stalking horse? Can we expect other candidates to pop up in the coming weeks?
    Given the people he's chosen to coordinate his campaign (highly successful in sports politics campaigns) I'd say he's hoping to go all the way himself, not just open it up for someone else. Pat's trying to put it about that he's a stalking horse for Makarov.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

AKA "The Thiever in Geneva"
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer

Given the people he's chosen to coordinate his campaign (highly successful in sports politics campaigns) I'd say he's hoping to go all the way himself, not just open it up for someone else. Pat's trying to put it about that he's a stalking horse for Makarov.

Agree with this. This is a serious campaign.

BTW if any other candidates want to declare, they have until 23 Jun I believe
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I don't trust anyone with a beard

I had to say it
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

I had to say it

Not even Santa Claus?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:

I had to say it

Iain, this makes you a misopogonist
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:

I had to say it

Not even Santa Claus?

Or Brian Blessed?? How can you...not after his towering performances in Flash Gordon and Blackadder
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

I had to say it
    Aren't that band you keep banging on about - Boards of Canada - bearded?

boards_of_canada_copy520.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I had to say it
    Aren't that band you keep banging on about - Boards of Canada - bearded?

But Boards of Canada don't exist IRL. They're the product of a messy divorce settlement between Paul Morley and Pete Waterman.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Or Brian Blessed?? How can you...not after his towering performances in Flash Gordon and Blackadder

I Claudius he was clean shaven (repeat showing just finished) Don't forget "Z" Cars as Fancy Smith. :D
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I hope he gets it. Has been around the UK scene long enough to see that grow and develop and will hopefully have the stones to stand up to those who see fit to manipulate the UCI into doing what they want of it.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,241
    forgot to post Pat's crazy email to the nat feds on Monday

http://s4.skins.net/misc/NFs_Presidents ... 6_2013.pdf

(sorry, sorry, I know its been passed on by the lingerie salesman - pls forgive me)

Makarov's response to this seems pretty measured.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/makarov-responds-to-mcquaids-insinuations
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DeadCalm wrote:

Makarov's response to this seems pretty measured.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/makarov-responds-to-mcquaids-insinuations
    That's the public response.

The private response - involving a 12V battery, some bolt cutters and a 20 stone meathead called Yuri - will be less measured.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Macaloon wrote:

AKA "The Thiever in Geneva"

That definitely did not get enough credit! :lol:
    - @ddraver
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Reading that email, I'm stunned. He cannot seriously send that out from the presidents office! It's a smear campaign done with UCI funds in effect.

Surely there should be some split - he can say what he likes as an individual standing for office, but not as the office holder?

It's like when an election is called in UK. There are severe restrictions on what the civil service can communicate, but the party machines swing into overdrive.

if I was Walkiewicz I'd be calling him out on the "similar voting patterns suggest..." slander. And how can it be "confirmed" that Cookson met without knowing where?

So Cookson changed his mind? Whoop de do. And the crime is...?

To me, stuff about drug testing, lance, etc. and pat's success/failure still has a lot of subjectiveness to it, but surely this is objectively abuse of office?

Pat is a liability....
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    http://road.cc/content/news/85059-legal ... s-back-uci

This looks good :D

Seems Pat has forgotten one of the UCI rules that you cannot be a member of two federations... That alone would negate his Swiss nomination, but it also seems that they didn't actually have a vote to nominate him.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Heard this today - thought ha ha Pat ain't going without a fight!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GvTDr8N5-4
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396

Now bits of that made me LOL :lol:
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Why do the twitterati not like Cookson's bid - everytime it gets news they seem to have a pop. Tried to follow threads but end up in tangents about Sky & PEDs/Uci_Overlord or other garbage.
    Does anyone on here think Cookson is more of the same/a poor choice?
  • ddraver
    I think he's a good stepping stone between old and (potentially) new. The twaliban simply do not live in the real world. Gaudry is not going to be elected this time, nor is Greg Lemond or Paul Kimmage. If Cookson gets in then he can start balls rolling that need to be rolling whilst keeping the general machinations of the UCI going (which actually form the vast bulk of what happens in Aigle. That way people with genuinely new visions for the future (if any) can then take over
    - @ddraver
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    DDraver may be onto something here - Cookson may be a kinda Gorbachev figure that starts to pull down the old regime but this could mean that the UCI gets pulled apart in the melee which actually could be just as bad as the current mess......
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight