Brian Cookson to run for UCI President

r0bh
r0bh Posts: 2,382
edited November 2013 in Pro race
Cookson will officially announce his candidacy tomorrow, along with his vision for cleaning up a sport and governing body that has been beset by doping scandals.
The 61-year-old, who has been nominated by British Cycling, will challenge controversial incumbent Pat McQuaid if the Irishman succeeds in securing a nomination to stand for re-election from Swiss Cycling.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... f-UCI.html

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    The Irish clubs immediately reverse their push for EGM vote...

Only joking, Irish posters :wink:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Don't know much about him. Is he a c*nt like his competitor?
  • Richmond Racer
    No, dont think so. Those close to him say he's his own man. He'll have to relinquish his role on the board of TRL, the BSkyB holding company for Team Sky, before he starts his campaign though - he sits there to ensure that Brailsford and anyone else also employed by BC dont do anything that's in conflict with their roles for BC.

Wouldnt be surprised if additional candidates come forward now Pat's looking vulnerable (and despite my teasing, a nod to some in Irish cycling for helping with that)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    No, dont think so. Those close to him say he's his own man. He'll have to relinquish his role on the board of TRL, the BSkyB holding company for Team Sky, before he starts his campaign though - he sits there to ensure that Brailsford and anyone else also employed by BC dont do anything that's in conflict with their roles for BC.

Wouldnt be surprised if additional candidates come forward now Pat's looking vulnerable (and despite my teasing, a nod to Paul Kimmage for helping with that)

Couldn't pull the trigger?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:

Wouldnt be surprised if additional candidates come forward now Pat's looking vulnerable (and despite my teasing, a nod to Paul Kimmage for helping with that)

Couldn't pull the trigger?

I just....just....oh feck it, I couldnt
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Wouldnt be surprised if additional candidates come forward now Pat's looking vulnerable (and despite my teasing, a nod to some in Irish cycling for helping with that)
    The Irish had sod all to do with it. Cookson's been testing the water for months now. He's been giving far more interviews than ever before, outlining what he thinks needs to be done while even doing the Francis Urquart schtick of publicly giving his full support to the encumbent. It was now or never for him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    RichN95 wrote:

The Irish had sod all to do with it. Cookson's been testing the water for months now. He's been giving far more interviews than ever before, outlining what he thinks needs to be done while even doing the Francis Urquart schtick of publicly giving his full support to the encumbent. It was now or never for him.

Yeah, you're right

(but I dont want to get in trouble with TWH etc)
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Seems Vaughters is a fan.

@Vaughters: I know the announcement isn't until tomorrow,but I'll chip in my opinion on Brian Cookson:smart, dignified, moral, creative, and:He listens.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So, he's been on the UCI managing committee since 2009. Are there examples of where he's made a difference there?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah, you're right

(but I dont want to get in trouble with TWH etc)

The EGM now its called has to go ahead.

While McQuaid's nomination by the Swiss may make this EGM redundant, it's going to be embarrassing for PMQ if an EGM of his home federation refuse to support him and bolster rival candidates.

Apparently one of the big clubs (Orwell Wheelers?) have already come out against.

*gets out the good shillelagh, just in case :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • esafosfina1
    esafosfina1 Posts: 153
    Hmmm... mixed feelings on this tbh.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    erm.....care to elucidate?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    While McQuaid's nomination by the Swiss may make this EGM redundant, it's going to be embarrassing for PMQ if an EGM of his home federation refuse to support him and bolster rival candidates.
    From the Irish Independent (read more)
    However, McQuaid's latest nomination could yet hit a snag. Under article 51 of the UCI constitution, the candidates for the presidency "shall be nominated by the federation of the candidate".

As a former president of Cycling Ireland, McQuaid holds an honorary lifetime Cycling Ireland licence and it was confirmed by Cycling Ireland yesterday that he has an Irish licence for 2013.

Even though he has lived near UCI headquarters in Switzerland since 2005, under UCI rule number 1.1008, the licence holder "shall remain affiliated to that (Irish) federation until the expiry of the licence, even if he changes country of residence".

Under UCI rule number 1.1009 "a licence holder may hold the licence of only one national federation", so McQuaid cannot hold a Swiss licence and therefore yesterday's nomination by the Swiss federation could yet be deemed invalid.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Hasn't al-McQuaida been buttering-up representatives from Azerbaijan, Beijing, Bolivia, Vietnam, etc for years, 3rd world nations who aren't really all that bothered about road procycling or doping, ensuring they get funding for cycling projects in their nations, plus private junkets themselves ?

Does anyone else have a chance ?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Whoever they pick, twitter will not be happy.

Cookson will be too English and too close to Sky.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Whoever they pick, twitter will not be happy.

Cookson will be too English and too close to Sky.

Gallingly for them, the twitterati dont have votes - outrageous, I know. Hell, if this is the start of several people coming forward, all to the good. Debate, choice etc. And anyone who comes forward will have some alleged conflict of interest - because the very a sport means links, connections etc.
  • Richmond Racer
    Cookson's now on Twitter, if anyone's interested:

@cooksonforuci
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Into the lion's den.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • esafosfina1
    esafosfina1 Posts: 153
    ddraver wrote:
    erm.....care to elucidate?

No! :D
  • Richmond Racer
    Fat Pat's already started the attempt-to-smear-Cookson campaign, with a letter send to all nat feds, professing his 'fear' that Cookson is being used as a 'pawn' by Markarov as revenge on Pat for the Katusha's licence biz.

Well done, Pat, that took all of 24 hours
  • tailwindhome
    See this is why the Irish should stick together, stops the Brits getting in.....

Has anyone got an answer for Iain's question yet?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    See this is why the Irish should stick together, stops the Brits getting in.....

Has anyone got an answer for Iain's question yet?

Just you wait till we Brits pile over the Irish Sea May next year to get the Celtic Tiger on its feet again...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Fat Pat's already started the attempt-to-smear-Cookson campaign, with a letter send to all nat feds, professing his 'fear' that Cookson is being used as a 'pawn' by Markarov as revenge on Pat for the Katusha's licence biz.

This is what cycling politics is probably actually like.

Can't imagine British cycling gives much experience with dealing with the less rigorous organisations.
  • Richmond Racer

This is what cycling politics is probably actually like.

Can't imagine British cycling gives much experience with dealing with the less rigorous organisations.

Hmmm...needs to ship in some guiding hands in such machiavellian ways perhaps
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Cookson has been in sports administration for a long time. This is normal for him.

No no Pat, you're great, I'm not going to run against you. Et tu, Brian.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,451

There are people working for BC who know the workings of the UCI intimately.
  • ...... He'll have to relinquish his role on the board of TRL, the BSkyB holding company for Team Sky, .......... - he sits there to ensure that Brailsford and anyone else also employed by BC dont do anything that's in conflict with their roles for BC.
    Thank you very much for that .

I have not roared with laughter so much for ages.

So Cookson made a complete horlicks of his job on the board of TLR then didn't he !
  • tailwindhome
    Why do the Twitterati imagine that UCI licence holders, specifically Cycling Ireland licence holders, necessarily have any interest in the presidency of the UCI, professional cycling or the whole USPostal debacle?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,548
    ...... He'll have to relinquish his role on the board of TRL, the BSkyB holding company for Team Sky, .......... - he sits there to ensure that Brailsford and anyone else also employed by BC dont do anything that's in conflict with their roles for BC.
    Thank you very much for that .

I have not roared with laughter so much for ages.

So Cookson made a complete horlicks of his job on the board of TLR then didn't he !

What, by overseeing as Brailsford delivered yet another bucketload of gold at the Olympics, while at the same time enthroning Britains first TdF winner?

Yeah, the pair of them ballsed that one up for sure...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format