Brian Cookson to run for UCI President

167891012»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    Then the vitriol they reserve when it comes to someone in finance, where you get paid according to what you generate - one of the most meritocratic jobs out there.
    Part of the vitriol is because of how they generated it.

Personally, I'm glad the position is well paid. It means you should get good calibre people interested in doing it. If it paid 40k it would only attract the inadequate or corrupt. It's like when people complain about MPs' pay - do you want someone cheap or someone good - because you're unlikely to get both.

I dont think MPs are a good example. You want a good one but an incompetent can get elected.
    I hear your point about needing to pay high to get the job done well - it is an excuse trotted out all the time, particularly by charities - whereas for me the reality is that the vast majority of people, competent, clever and level headed ones at that would happily apply for the job for less money.
    Unfortunately a baseline has been established so lowering these figures isnt much of a viable option.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    iainf72 wrote:
    I tell you what FF, when I see you at the Water Poet I might be carrying a pitchfork to run you out of the City. You're one of those guys on the floor with a copy of Das Kapital on your desk, aren't you? :P

He's an Occupy movement slipper agent. Looking forward to the discovery of private equity 'income' tax 'treatment'.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Macaloon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I tell you what FF, when I see you at the Water Poet I might be carrying a pitchfork to run you out of the City. You're one of those guys on the floor with a copy of Das Kapital on your desk, aren't you? :P

He's an Occupy movement slipper agent. Looking forward to the discovery of private equity 'income' tax 'treatment'.

I just realized you have close on 1500 posts. I would have put you a lot higher than that. You are getting good ROE for your post count; efficient chap.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Macaloon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

What the hells wrong with wearing slippers all of a sudden?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Then the vitriol they reserve when it comes to someone in finance, where you get paid according to what you generate - one of the most meritocratic jobs out there.
    Part of the vitriol is because of how they generated it.

Personally, I'm glad the position is well paid. It means you should get good calibre people interested in doing it. If it paid 40k it would only attract the inadequate or corrupt. It's like when people complain about MPs' pay - do you want someone cheap or someone good - because you're unlikely to get both.

I dont think MPs are a good example. You want a good one but an incompetent can get elected.
    I hear your point about needing to pay high to get the job done well - it is an excuse trotted out all the time, particularly by charities - whereas for me the reality is that the vast majority of people, competent, clever and level headed ones at that would happily apply for the job for less money.
    Unfortunately a baseline has been established so lowering these figures isnt much of a viable option.

Trouble is that bankers salaries are one of the reasons that people running charities or Sports administrations are so much higher. The harsh reality is that people will not to the virtuous jobs if they can get significantly more money elsewhere.

That said, it's nothing special about bankers, happens in the O&G industry just the same between Finance, Engineers and Geologists...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I just realized you have close on 1500 posts. I would have put you a lot higher than that. You are getting good ROE for your post count; efficient chap.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll dedicate #1500 appropriately: épaules de géants :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Open letter to the UCI from Pokerface regarding Para-cycling.

http://637daystogo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... cling.html
    Contador is the Greatest