The Scott CR1 SL Thread

Comments

• .Ian
    .Ian Posts: 15
    Daniel B wrote:
    Both are too small?
    What size did you go for?

Err I’m short, especially in the legs to say the least... Both are XXS. Think I’m 5’3” / or around 162 cm. In hindsight a XS might have been a better fit as I’m a bit too upright on them. Went for the XXS as it looked like it would fit and you can always add a longer stem.

I enjoy my Scotts and have commuted all winter on one, but find my XS Genesis way more stable.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I'm tempted by this:
    https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... et-p337488
    £399 plus an extra 10% off!
    Was going to build up an old frame but....

Is it worth the money?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940
    .Ian wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Both are too small?
    What size did you go for?

Err I’m short, especially in the legs to say the least... Both are XXS. Think I’m 5’3” / or around 162 cm. In hindsight a XS might have been a better fit as I’m a bit too upright on them. Went for the XXS as it looked like it would fit and you can always add a longer stem.

I enjoy my Scotts and have commuted all winter on one, but find my XS Genesis way more stable.

Ah fair do's - so guessing you must have 48cm frames, but would be after a 50?
    Is the issue the amount of drop from saddle to bars - what length stem do you run, and have you inverted it if you are too low?
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I'm tempted by this:
    https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott ... et-p337488
    £399 plus an extra 10% off!
    Was going to build up an old frame but....

Is it worth the money?

£340, and with a free Scott shirt, I would say that was a pretty good deal - assuming you are not worried about discs etc.
    It's a quality frame, and as long as the paint job does not put you off (It's fairly bland much like the SL) too much, I think you could do a LOT worse personally.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • chris_bass
    you arent doing a good job of talking me out of spending money!!

it is a bit bland looking, maybe if the free shirt is like hot pink or something that would offset the blandness a bit?

i'll have a think and hopefully it'll sell out and make my mind up for me!

ps - i think you may need to revisit GSCE maths!! :wink:
  • daniel_b
    Chris Bass wrote:
    you arent doing a good job of talking me out of spending money!!

it is a bit bland looking, maybe if the free shirt is like hot pink or something that would offset the blandness a bit?

i'll have a think and hopefully it'll sell out and make my mind up for me!

ps - i think you may need to revisit GSCE maths!!
    :wink:

Ah yes, sorry, not sure what happened there, I have just channelled my inner Rachel Riley, and can now see it is £360 :oops:

Well it's important we spend money, as firstly you get a new bike, and secondly it keeps the economy going kind of :D

I felt my SL was fairly bland, so lobbed a modest amount of colourful bits on (Yellow of course) to brighten it up, and make it more to my liking - although the yellow striped Michelin tyres will soon be binned for all black ones.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • chris_bass
    you are very persuasive!!

that other frame is very old, this would be better..... must resist!!
  • .Ian
    .Ian Posts: 15
    Daniel B wrote:

Is the issue the amount of drop from saddle to bars - what length stem do you run, and have you inverted it if you are too low?

Scott is 47cm virtual, think the Genesis is 48cm. They ride really different.

Both on 90mm stems, have a few spare so yes you are right should probably go longer on the CR1. Maybe straight up to 110mm to stretch out a bit.
  • daniel_b
    edited February 2019
    Chris Bass wrote:
    you are very persuasive!!

that other frame is very old, this would be better..... must resist!!

Top cashback have 1.05% cashback, which knocks it down to circa £354, then if you like the £70 worth of scott top, it's only costing you £284 :wink:

AND you're SAVING £816

You are welcome!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    .Ian wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Scott is 47cm virtual, think the Genesis is 48cm. They ride really different.

Both on 90mm stems, have a few spare so yes you are right should probably go longer on the CR1. Maybe straight up to 110mm to stretch out a bit.

Yep I'd get searching for stems new or 2nd hand, I've amassed a collection of cheapies for that very reason, and to cater for different frame sizes, from 80 to 130mm.
    I've been stretching myself out over the last year on the turbo, making my position lower and longer gradually.

Bargains out there, picked up a 110 Hoy one from Evans brand new for £8!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    I need to replace the bottom bracket on mine, can anyone please point me in the right direction re. compatible BB's? Thanks!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited June 2019
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    I need to replace the bottom bracket on mine, can anyone please point me in the right direction re. compatible BB's? Thanks!

Bog standard BB86 pressfit job. If you have a Shimano chainset then https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-sm-bb9 ... UCEALw_wcB

Or https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... JhEALw_wcB

The BB92 supposedly Ultegra / DA level, BB71 is 105. The latter is what mine came with
  • keef66
    I'm still on the factory fitted one, so I don't know how easy they are to swap. Some peeps buy the proper tools to get pressfit BBs in and out while others claim to get by with home made solutions.

When the time comes I'm trying the latter; I still have the ghetto headset press from when I pressed in the headset cups.
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    keef66 wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:

Bog standard BB86 pressfit job. If you have a Shimano chainset then https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-sm-bb9 ... UCEALw_wcB

Or https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... JhEALw_wcB

The BB92 supposedly Ultegra / DA level, BB71 is 105. The latter is what mine came with

Thanks, I'll order the BB92 from Wiggle and see how I get on!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've had a spare ready to go for over a year but when it came to popping the old ones out I didnt have the right tools and they felt smooth still.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    I bought a ceramic one from a fellow forumite around 3 years ago, yet to need to look at fitting it though.

Be keen to hear how you get on with both fitting and removal though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    ditto

when i did take my cranks off the BB bearings looked like they'd need a proper puller to get at them.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I’ve belted mine out with a basic large diameter brass drift but I’m used to doing things without buying specific tools, to insert most get away with a threaded bar and large washers, flea bay can be used to get cheap solutions based on this theme. Done a CR1 and Giant TCR, both BB86 this way without issue.
  • solstice21
    solstice21 Posts: 321
    view?usp=drivesdk

iMmoCrAsnQX4v1Lq8
  • daniel_b
    Sandyballs wrote:
    I’ve belted mine out with a basic large diameter brass drift but I’m used to doing things without buying specific tools, to insert most get away with a threaded bar and large washers, flea bay can be used to get cheap solutions based on this theme. Done a CR1 and Giant TCR, both BB86 this way without issue.

I used the cheap ebay (threaded rod and mahoosive plastic washers) to install the headset in the CR1, was a bit touch and go, and nerve wracking, but went in the end with no damage.

I think I would either buy the right tool to remove the BB when it comes to it, or run it to my LBS, wouldn't trust myself not to trash the frame with a DIY method, and it would REALLY p1ss me off if I wrote off the frame in that manner, not to mention the time and expense of a new frame and transferring components across.

@Solstice - can't see your images for some reason.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • keef66
    Daniel B wrote:
    I used the cheap ebay (threaded rod and mahoosive plastic washers) to install the headset in the CR1, was a bit touch and go, and nerve wracking, but went in the end with no damage.

Me too. I hadn't noticed one of the headset cups was going in slightly skewed till it suddenly straightened itself up with a loud crack. Once I'd got my heart rate under control and changed my underwear I reassured myself that no actual carbon had been harmed in any way.

When I do the BB I'm going to improve my Ebay threaded rod affair so everything stays nice and square
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Solstice21 wrote:
    I like those bars, what are they?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    installation is easy even with a homemade tool just take it slow, removal is either a brutal hack or you buy the right tool BBT 90.3 being one of them
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I remember doing the press fit bottom bracket on my TCR - it was a rather nerve racking evening.

I proceeded from rubber mallet, to hammer, to club hammer over the course of forty minutes or so. I think a couple of stiff drinks might have been involved too.
  • solstice21
    solstice21 Posts: 321
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Solstice21 wrote:
    I like those bars, what are they?

Ali express specials. Been on about 3 years...no stress fractures, crumbling or explosions.
  • keef66
    Few days round the N Yorks Moors on mine last week. The descending was a real treat. Couple of times I left braking a bit late and nearly ran out of road, but the handling of the bike itself was really confidence-inspiring.
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2020
    Hey CR1 brethren,

I know I've always chickened out from running 25mm tyres on the back, but has anyone done so with no issues umrunning GP4000s?

It looks like there should be room, but I'm wondering if it would be prudent to try and attach some frame protective tape to the insides of the stays, at least to try and give advance warning.

Despite there appearing to be room, I don't know if deflection in the tyre would widen it that much further.
    presumably not, as it will widen at 6 o'clock, and the stays are perhaps at 8 o'clock and about as far away as they could be from the bottom of the rotation.

Failing GP4000s, what about the Pirelli P Zero tyres that come in the rather tasty yellow finish.

P.S Am getting my local bike mechanic to swap out the bb mid June, will update on how it feels versus factory fit.

Edit: T'internet informs me that Pirellis are no smaller than 4000s but 5000s are slightly smaller.
    I did have a pair of 25mm 5000s lined up for the Foil, but am now considering diverting them to the CR1 and getting 28mm 5000s for the Foil - pretty sure stock it came with 28s.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I use Michelin Lithion 25s on Vittoria Session rims, but have used others. They have a couple of mil spare in normal running, but have rubbed the inside of the stays when punctured and running flat.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    edited May 2020
    Not Conti's but running Vittoria Pave 25 mm on the back and 27mm on the front on some carbon rims with 16mm inner width. Think the 25 comes up at 26mm and seems fine. Also use 25mm Vitoria Corsas in 25mm on some Campag Zondas which have a slightly wider inner width and they seem fine too.
    If it were me I'd defo go 28mm on the Foil as there'll be room - I've got 28mm gp4000s on some wider carbon rims on the Solace disc, and they come up at 31mm! Bloody lovely ride though...and fast.
    Still ought to treat it to some nice light wheels and parts, but doubt it'll get them as seem to be using the gravel bike more these days so that might see a wheel upgrade first....
    Be interested to hear how the BB works out? Mine's only recently had its second set of cables, and stuck some carbon Ergonova bars on it last year, but otherwise I think its pretty much as originally built all those years ago. Reckon it owes me nothing, but still a hoot to ride :)

EDIT: according to page 26 of this thread, mines coming up to its 7th birthday...and come to think of it I only paid £399 for my frame set due to a slight imperfection on the frame (which I haven't noticed to years now). Bargain...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    I’ve been running 25s schwalbe one and vittoria with no issues but that could be down to my narrow ish wheel sets