2014 Transfers

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,194
    Pross wrote:
    Would like to see Stannard move to a team that care about the Classics, same with G. Not convinced they'll reach their potential at Sky, especially Stannard.
    What makes you think they don't care? It's not their priority, sure, but there are few teams for whom it is. Sky seem to be one of the more interested.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:
    Would like to see Stannard move to a team that care about the Classics, same with G. Not convinced they'll reach their potential at Sky, especially Stannard.

The classics were their big goal early this year. They prepared especially for it and were not happy they failed. What else do you want?

Sky's big problem is they don't have a top tier classics rider. Or even 2nd tier.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    JackTar wrote:
    BTbi3L5IYAA05MM.jpg
    No swifty or Stannard? Wonder where they could be going next year, OPQS for Yogi?

So, these all under contract?
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:

Sky's big problem is they don't have a top tier classics rider. Or even 2nd tier.
    They've got a second tier rider. But he keeps crashing.
  • I feel some sort of chart is on it's way
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,615
    iainf72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

The classics were their big goal early this year. They prepared especially for it and were not happy they failed. What else do you want?

It may have been a big goal but I got he feeling they were holding back a bit as even minor stage races are more important. I'd say Stannard, G, EBH and Hayman are all potentially 2nd tier (flat) Classics riders but they let their best option leave last season. They could do well in hilly classics but the riders most likely to succeed are more valued as super domestiques in stage races. I'd rather see Henao targeting L-B-L or Lombardy than making up the numbers at the Vuelta but I appreciate that the sponsor wants the publicity that goes with winning GTs.
  • Boonen extends for two years.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... more-years
    Wouldnt be surprised to see him leave next year if he had a great year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Boonen extends for two years.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... more-years
    Wouldnt be surprised to see him leave next year if he had a great year.

Has he not said 2014 is his last year?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Did the SKY fans miss this?

“Sky missed the boat,” said Brad Wiggins of the move in the last weeks. Adam explained yesterday, “If we went to Sky, there might be fewer opportunities. If you go away, you might have more chances.”

Shaping up to be real heavyweights. Looks like they have their head screwed on correctly and when he came on the podium on Sunday he made a good impression to me.

Should be more definitive news today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,476
    Someone not #BlockedByFrenchie tell him he means the other twin, Simon please....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sojasun to merge with Netapp?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,600
    iainf72 wrote:

oof... that's hard... the endura 'merger' didn't go great... but it's a harsh market out there at the moment.

With so many teams dropping I wonder what the long term implications are going to be... will we see mid-old riders dropping off or will it limit some young talent coming through?
  • dish_dash
    ddraver wrote:
    Someone not #BlockedByFrenchie tell him he means the other twin, Simon please....

that took a while to decifer... Both twins heavyweights IMHO... will be very interesting to see how they develop, Orica's got a great set up without the GC emphasis...
  • ddraver
    dish_dash wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

that took a while to decifer... Both twins heavyweights IMHO... will be very interesting to see how they develop, Orica's got a great set up without the GC emphasis...

I'm passing on info, I ve no idea who either of them are on about...
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Both very talented. Adam slightly better climber, but Simon combines climbing ability with a fair old sprint. If he hadnt had a mare on the first mountain stage of l'Avenir, he could have joined Adam on the podium (though winning 2 stages aint to be sniffed at).

Good luck to them at OGE. Anyone who cares about talent will just be happy to see them develop, irrespective of team. Next year, Sky have Nathan Earle turning pro with them, the Tassie who's been dominating stage races over in the Colonies :wink: all year.

No team can ring-fence all home-grown talent - just as well as it wouldnt be too healthy.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

oof... that's hard... the endura 'merger' didn't go great... but it's a harsh market out there at the moment.

I heard the other day that Movistar will wear Endura next year, so I'd imagine big bucks there.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I heard the other day that Movistar will wear Endura next year, so I'd imagine big bucks there.

I was thinking for the riders/management/support staff rather than Endura. The wee scottish company are definately heading into the big league... Wonder who Movistar will be riding next year now that Pinarello are out.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Can't believe De Gendt is without a ride next year. He hasn't had a great year, but on form is a fantastic, exciting rider. Why isn't someone like OGE in for him?!
  • 2 PT teams and 1 PC team folding - thats a lot of riders on the market. And its all very late in the day - many teams budgets and rosters already decided.
  • ddraver
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/ ... 014_303875

not really transfers yet but is likely to become some....can see De Gendt at Garmin...

Maybe JV's MBE is kicking in
    - @ddraver
  • Talking of Garmin, see that JV's not renewing Alex Rasmussen's contract
  • A few interesting comments from De Gendt:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/de-gend ... m-for-2014
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Wrong thread
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Gadret to Movistar for 2 years, according to http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/cycli ... b0n1573790
  • Vandewalle from OPQS to Trek. And Jasper Stuyven from Bontager to Trek.
  • Shane Stokes ‏@SSbike 1h
    Re rumours that Champion System could stop - have sought clarification twice from team re next year, no reply on that. Simply got assurance

Matt Brammeier ‏@Mattbrammeier85 11m
    @SSbike @PelotonWatch finito
  • RichN95.
    Mikel Nieve has joined Sky
  • Shane Stokes ‏@SSbike 1h
    Re rumours that Champion System could stop - have sought clarification twice from team re next year, no reply on that. Simply got assurance

Matt Brammeier ‏@Mattbrammeier85 11m
    @SSbike @PelotonWatch finito

4 teams disappearing. 2 x ProTour and 2 x ProConti. GREAT ship you've been steering, McQuaid
  • RichN95.
    4 teams disappearing. 2 x ProTour and 2 x ProConti. GREAT ship you've been steering, McQuaid
    I don't think you can blame McQuaid for the state of the economy.