2014 Transfers

Comments

• Said it before, gonna to say it again, good to see British talent spread across the ProTour peloton.

Young Adam had better be prepared to put in the hard yards though, irrespective of whatever team he's signed for (though to be strictly accurate it was Simon who Sky were interested in, not the pair of them as a package - unlike OGE).

As for Sky, they've already got a lot of young talent already in the team who they need to give chances to in the next 1-2 years, like Edmondson and Dombrowski
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm unconvinced Sky is a good team for a neo-pro, but they need to be expecting to have to ride on the front
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • The new Schlecks... without the controversy.
  • The new Schlecks... without the controversy.

Oh gawd, dont go there
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,194
    Not wanting to work on the front like a slave is great right up to the point where you want people to work on the front for you and find they have the same attitude.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Looks like the CW article has disappeared for now...

Yea, thats odd. However it seems work on my phone, but not my PC.
    Adam Yates is delighted to be moving up to the professional ranks alongside twin brother Simon in 2014 after confirmation that the 21 year-old siblings would join Australian team Orica-GreenEdge next season.

The duo's move to GreenEdge follows speculation around the deal after Simon's stage win and third overall at the Tour of Britain.

Despite interest from a number of other teams, Adam Yates told Cycling Weekly that the Australian outfit offered him and Simon the best prospects for 2014.

"We worked it out together, we weighed up all the options and GreenEdge were the best choice," the Tour de l'Avenir runner up said.

"It was after Avenir that we started getting contacted. We had offers from FDJ and Lampre, and Sky wanted Simon, but GreenEdge is the best place to go."

World points champion Simon has been part of British Cycling's Olympic Academy Programme for the past three seasons while Adam has plied his trade for amateur teams in France, most recently this season at CC Etupes.

With the Academy's links to Sky and CC Etupes working closely with FDJ, the pair had earlier been linked with moves to those two WorldTour teams respectively. However the offer to turn pro together proved too good for the brothers from Bury to turn down.

"We've been apart for a couple of years now and it's not really affected us, but it's always good to race with your brother," Adam added. "Hopefully we can team up again and take on some pros!"

Despite the announcement coming after the world championships U23 road race, where Simon finished 17th and Adam 19th, there were strong hints in Florence that the brothers might be headed to GreenEdge; Adam had been loaned two green and black Orica-GreenEdge branded Scott Foil bikes.

"It's a good setup [at GreenEdge]," Adam said. "And if I went to Sky then I'd end up working on the front like a slave, and I'm not a big fan of that!"

While Simon has called time on his amateur career, Adam has one more race to complete: the U23 Paris-Tours on Thursday, October 3. The next step for the pair will be establishing a base in Girona, Spain, over the winter.

"I'm fed up of training in the cold, so the plan is now that we're gonna get an apartment in Girona," Adam explained. "Then we're laughing then aren't we!"

http://po.st/U46cGX
  • Another Carrrot's found a home. Mikel Landa to Astana.
  • Linus Gerdemann talks about his move to MTN Qhubeka.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15555 ... cling.aspx

Good to see him back in the peloton
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,244
    Said it before, gonna to say it again, good to see British talent spread across the ProTour peloton.

Young Adam had better be prepared to put in the hard yards though, irrespective of whatever team he's signed for (though to be strictly accurate it was Simon who Sky were interested in, not the pair of them as a package - unlike OGE).

As for Sky, they've already got a lot of young talent already in the team who they need to give chances to in the next 1-2 years, like Edmondson and Dombrowski

Totally agree, it's a good thing to have the British talent spread around different teams rather than all at Sky.

But I really hope that "slave" quote was taken out of context, otherwise it shows both a lack of awareness about his likely role in the team as a neo pro, and also the horrors of slavery.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Good landing spot for them. Adam sounds a little bitter that Sky were more interested in his brother. Understandable I guess.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    edited October 2013
    edit: i'm an idiot.

Landa is a really good signing for Astana. They keep on adding quality climbers.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Another Carrrot's found a home. Mikel Landa to Astana.

Glad to see some of them have Landa'd on their feet.

Sorry, someone had to.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    While Simon has called time on his amateur career, Adam has one more race to complete: the U23 Paris-Tours on Thursday, October 3.

It appears that it's on the 13th, the same day as the big boys event. I might pop down and have a look.
  • Its not big boy league but UK Youth just confirmed that they're folding at the end of the year. Dominated the Tour Series, took a number of 1-dayers and stage races inc the Ras...but couldnt attract a title sponsor for next year

Thats a few British pros looking for new teams late in the season

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -fold.html

There's also gossip going around that IG Sigma might not last
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,274
    Its not big boy league but UK Youth just confirmed that they're folding at the end of the year. Dominated the Tour Series, took a number of 1-dayers and stage races inc the Ras...but couldnt attract a title sponsor for next year

There's also gossip going around that IG Sigma might not last

Oh great.

I'll put in a shout to Hannah Barnes to ask that after she's won everything in the women's pro scene in the next few years, perhaps she might consider backing a men's team as a sideline...
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    r0bh wrote:
    But I really hope that "slave" quote was taken out of context, otherwise it shows both a lack of awareness about his likely role in the team as a neo pro, and also the horrors of slavery.
    I suppose one of the things the Yates' will have to get used to is people over-analysing their every word. :roll:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    thegibdog wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    I suppose one of the things the Yates' will have to get used to is people over-analysing their every word. :roll:

To be fair, he was right. Look at the World Championships where GB(/Sky) had Luke Rowe and Cav on the front for the first 100km, despite only having a rider considered as an outsider. If you ride at Sky you are going to have to do far more riding on the front than for other teams, even in races where you don't necessarily have the favourite. Yes, they will be doing their duty riding in the wind for team leaders and getting bidons, but that is very different to being at the head of the peloton every single day of a stage race.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Its not big boy league but UK Youth just confirmed that they're folding at the end of the year. Dominated the Tour Series, took a number of 1-dayers and stage races inc the Ras...but couldnt attract a title sponsor for next year

I'm shocked by that. The Humansinvent podcast had an interview with Nigel Mansell only a couple of weeks ago and I got the impression he was looking for a title sponsor to move the team up through the levels, not keep it afloat.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    hmm...I'm going to put my cycnical head on and wonder if Greg has a contract elsewhere, hence no need for the team.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Wanty to the rescue! The new team will be ProConti but still...some Vacansoleil riders/jobs saved

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15554 ... -team.aspx

While van der Scheuren hopes to keep Johnny Hoogerland at Wanty it is also rumoured that Hoogerland may be off to Cannondale.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-transfe ... 36243.html
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,600
    Benson says that De Gent has signed with OPQS... at least that saga is over...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Both Izagirre brothers to Movistar from Euskatel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Couple of rungs down again but Graham Briggs will be re-joining Rapha Condor JLT for next season.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -2014.html
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Few hints via twitter that Dave Zabriskie is retiring

Who knows

Vaitkus doesn't have a gig either and sounded pretty angry about it too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    No one cares about either of those riders tbh.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Farrar renews with Garmin.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Kim Anderson is with the Trek management...he said he would only sign if Frank was also signed.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Romain Feillu from Vacansoleil to Bretagne Séché
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    ad_snow wrote:
    Couple of rungs down again but Graham Briggs will be re-joining Rapha Condor JLT for next season.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -2014.html
    I know he's ridden for them before, but whilst Kristian House seems the epitome of what a Rapha Condor JLT branded rider should be to me (smooth, graceful, accomplished), Briggs is kind of like the "anti" RCJLT rider - scrappy, annoying, in your face etc! Not that I don't like him, I do - he'll add some good grit to the team....