2014 Transfers

Comments

• lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    thegibdog wrote:
    Rumours that they are paying Russ Downing 100k
    They cant be paying Downing £100k surely.
    Maybe £100k for both the Downings?

Even that's a lot for guys who are at the tail end of their careers, unless they are doing a lot of managerial/sponsor promotional activity on top. If it becomes the going rate for guys who will ride much of their season in British non UCI races and their season highlight is the ToB, then the British scene will implode once the "hobby sponsors" lose interest and switch to other activities.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,218

Do you care to elucidate on what you take most umbrage with?

Your barely concealed glee at someone losing their job and having to take a step down to remain in employment.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    andyp wrote:

Do you care to elucidate on what you take most umbrage with?

Your barely concealed glee at someone losing their job and having to take a step down to remain in employment.

I am neither happy or unhappy about his career - I couldnt care less what he does. Hoe owes me nothing and vice versa.

I am just pointing out that it shouldnt be a surprise and people shouldnt be upset about it in addition to adding some colour and information.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,190

I am neither happy or unhappy about his career - I couldnt care less what he does. Hoe owes me nothing and vice versa.
    Maybe, but there's no need to call to call him a hoe. Time to lay off the Snoop Dogg albums Frenchie.

(I know it was a typo)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Chris Opie from disbanded UK Youth to Rapha Condor JLT
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kloden retires
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    FJS wrote:
    Van der Haar going to Argos-Shimano, Argos' development squad. Could be another crosser doing well on the road a la Stybar

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... Haar_Argos

Otherwise known as the boyfriend of Lucy Garner.
    lucy-garner-team-argos-shimano-1t4i.jpg
    garner_ap_2347419b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    On the female front, whats Hannah Barnes up to in 2014, is she still with MG Maxifuel? Seems like she did great in the domestic scene, even beating Wiggle riders on a few occasions when they had a large squad controlling races and leading out. Im no expert, but I imagine she could do with a new bigger challenge and pro backing, perhaps on the Euro stage, so that she continues developing as a rider.
  • Ed-tron wrote:
    On the female front, whats Hannah Barnes up to in 2014, is she still with MG Maxifuel? Seems like she did great in the domestic scene, even beating Wiggle riders on a few occasions when they had a large squad controlling races. Im no expert, but I imagine she could do with a new bigger challenge and pro backing, perhaps on the Euro stage, so that she continues developing as a rider.

Well, once - at the London Nocturne (not knocking her, think she's a real talent - just being pedantic :) )

She's proven herself on the crit scene here...but otherwise, its tricky as there are precious few womens races here away from the crit scene. Requires either a leap of faith by a European team, or her taking the plunge and going out to Europe for a year or so and riding unaffiliated in the hope of getting noticed.

Though I think MG Maxifuel are trying to stretch their wings to race a bit more in Europe next year
  • Ed-tron
    Haha, oops ^ :P

I wish her all the best. Seems like a crappy situation. As gleaned from that Telegraph article:
    - She was on Dutch based Team Ibis, but they folded last minute, and all other UCI registered teams were full
    - Not many UK registered pro teams
    - Unlike for males, females have little in the way of an under 23 intermediate step, it goes from domestic junior crits to facing down seasoned pros on the continent.

Not sure having Wiggle full of high profile track riders helps the system bring through domestic road talent such as Barnes either.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,218
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kloden retires

He can start wearing that black kit again now.
  • Ed-tron wrote:
    Haha, oops ^ :P

I wish her all the best. Seems like a crappy situation. As gleaned from that Telegraph article:
    - She was on Dutch based Team Ibis, but they folded last minute, and all other UCI registered teams were full
    - Not many UK registered pro teams
    - Unlike for males, females have little in the way of an under 23 intermediate step, it goes from domestic junior crits to facing down seasoned pros on the continent.

Not sure having Wiggle full of high profile track riders helps the system bring through domestic road talent such as Barnes either.

Fact is that the Wiggle Honda team are getting huge publicity by having Trott, King, Rowsell et al in the team but without having to pay their salaries, as for BC and the trackies the main goal of them riding the European races this year and presumably beyond, is to improve their endurance with the step-up in distance for the womens TP. They are free riders for Wiggle Honda, but generate a huge amount of marketing value for the sponsors.

Look at the London Nocturne. I'd argue that more people were there to see Trott, King and Rowsell race than to see the Elite mens, even with Dowsett in it. The crowd even started thinning out a bit after the womens race ended, and before the mens started. The British trackies put bums on seats at races here, they're household names.

I totally get that this doesnt help Barnes though. I remember in the summer Rochelle Gilmore was asked about Barnes and her response was that she's clearly talented but needs to get some European racing experience - so obviously she's not interested in bringing her on board at the moment.
  • frenchfighter
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kloden retires

He can start wearing that black kit again now.

Might just hang out with Kloden and climb some cols like the good old days
    CORVOS_00021162-067-21.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Hoogerland to Androni Giocattoli

:shock:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Hoogerland to Androni Giocattoli

Christ
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Needs must...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:

Needs must...

he doesn't like sitting on the fence
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Needs must...

yep, there aren't any places in the top level teams, shame as i like Hoogerland.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Hoogerland at androni means that my replica top has a rider to hang it on as fandom :)

[serious] although the muckiness of the team is worrying, he may get a crack at at some races rather being sent in the break or fetching bottles, hopefully....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • frenchfighter
    ^ fair point.

"Johnny is an important signing for us," Androni Giocattoli team manager Gianni Savio told Cyclingnews.

"He's the current Dutch national champion and has real character. I'm sure he'll do well. His character suits our team because we like to be aggressive in races and so does Johnny. We always go on the attack, as our record of 1680km on the attack at the Giro d'Italia proves, and Hoogerland is a natural born attacker."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ad_snow wrote:
    Good signing, I am slightly surprised a pro conti didnt find a spot for him.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,873
    RichN95 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    I'm trying to remember which race it was where he was the only guy who could hold Cancellara's wheel, but my brain is struggling today.
    Tour of Qatar I think.

Should put it on his CV.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    ad_snow wrote:
    I think that Yanto Barker has been tweeting that he is the top ranked UK rider this year and does not have a contract for next year...
  • frenchfighter
    Dayer Quintana puts pen to paper with Movistar very shortly. This signing excites me more than any other as I cannot wait to see little Dayer riding his heart out for his brother in addition to the placings and opportunities to shine he will get.

He has been racking up top ten finishes all year in the amateurs. Very sharp transition though so I think it is possible it will take a year before he will come to the fore in any regard.

quintana_p.jpg
    Los-hermanos-Quintana-en-el-Cr_54378460241_54028874188_960_639.jpg
    ed40bd70-f952-11e2-b3c1-202f811efca1_original.jpg.h380.jpg.568.jpg
    Proper rider built on motivation to get out of poverty and terrible terrain rather than a pristene factory with everything he can wish for. 5ft5 and sub 60kgs of pure passion.
    dayer.jpg

Interesting article here on him:
    http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2013/ ... a-how.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    First wearer of the polka dot jersey in this year's Tour de France Juan José Lobato moves on from Euskatel to Movistar
  • frenchfighter
    Franco Pellizotti has signed his contract with Astana and will ride with the Kazakhstan team in 2014 but will not make his racing debut until May 2 after the team agreed to accept the rules of the Mouvement Pour un Cyclisme Crédible (MPCC).

The MPCC was created to raise the bar in the fight against doping by imposing strict rules and self regulation for teams, sponsors and federations. Over 50 per cent of the UCI WorldTour teams and many other teams are now members, with Astana’s membership approved at last week’s annual meeting.

One of the MPCC’s rules says that teams cannot hire riders until two years after they have served any doping that is longer than six months. Pellizotti was banned for two years for a UCI Biological Passport violation and made his comeback with the Androni Giocattoli team in May 2012. Pellizotti raced with Astana team leader Vincenzo Nibali at Liquigas before is ban and is considered a key rider for the Tour de France as Nibali tries to take on Chris Froome (Team Sky).
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana- ... l-may-2014
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ed-tron
    As an aside, that first photo of Dayer Quintana looks mightily photoshopped. No way he is wearing that hat when the photo was taken. Got to get the sponsors on there I suppose.
  • ad_snow wrote:

thing is, despite having top results in the UK he didn't do much in UCI races. When you consider riders like Alex Wetterhall haven't got rides for next year it is less surprising.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    From Inrng - Trek announce Danilo Hondo and Giacomo Nizzolo stay for 2014. Also a new signing in Australia's Calvin Watson.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Ed-tron wrote:
    As an aside, that first photo of Dayer Quintana looks mightily photoshopped. No way he is wearing that hat when the photo was taken. Got to get the sponsors on there I suppose.
    Haha, blatant Photoshop!