Giro stage 17 **SPOILER**

1234568»

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Just watching the highlights, that really was a great breakaway win by Visconti. Great strength on the hills. Movistar have themselves a very good team, only hope they are all clean.

Anyone know whats happening with French cycling? Where are their race winners? No GC contender?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    edited May 2013
    the points competition should be a BALANCE between the sprinters and those who can finish high on mountainous/lumpy days.

The giro has it nearly right but an unfortunate slight bias towards someone riding for GC... the tour has a bias the other way round

it can still be close.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    that hill was 2% to steep at peak for the cavinator...gave it a dam good go
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    The points competition is not a "sprinter's" competition, it is a "best finisher on each stage" competition. That's why Cadel Evans is still in the mix.

If it is designed to be a sprinters-only competition, points should only be awarded on a stage when that stage win comes about as a result of a bunch sprint. If it's a solo win on the flat or a mountain stage win, you get no points. :evil: This obviously makes no sense so they have the competition that is actually in place. If Cadel wins he will be a deserving winner and so to will Cavendish if he wins the jersey on Sunday.

DD.

True, but I bet Cav would rather finish with 5 stage wins than none and the points jersey. I know I would. I bet little else in cycling compares to crossing the line first on a Grand Tour stage.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Honeybadger is badass, he don't give a sh*t http://i.imgur.com/BFCHmhv.gif
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Just saw a clip from yesterday I think which showed Samu sitting up out the saddle and gesticulating at the others. Wonder what that was about.

In the last couple of Kms? If so the bunch he was with were looking at each other & no one was really going all out to bring the break back & there were a few riders looking at each other.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    200-GiroDItalia_Tappa17_046.jpg
    giro_2013_17a.jpg
    284-PIC369562354.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Interesting looking at the two descending pictures, Visconti looks to have taken a decent line, looks fast but in control, whereas the Androni guy looks like he's just trying not to crash (and only just succeeding).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • goonz
    Yeah great shots of both. Good line by Visconti as you mention and the other guy definitely looks like he just had to prevent himself going off the edge of the cliff! Probably wrong line in and too fast into the corner.

Bit like me actually, shite at cornering and descending.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    goonz wrote:
    Yeah great shots of both. Good line by Visconti as you mention and the other guy definitely looks like he just had to prevent himself going off the edge of the cliff! Probably wrong line in and too fast into the corner.

Bit like me actually, shite at cornering and descending.

As a heavy guy I should have a natural advantage on the descents, but I always get left behind by those with more talent and bigger testicles.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    And the collective caption is 'Weeeeeeee" :lol:
    200-GiroDItalia_Tappa17_046.jpg
    giro_2013_17a.jpg
    284-PIC369562354.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • goonz
    Shouldnt those BMC guys be going for a tinkle in their p i s s pots?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    284-PIC369562354.jpg
    Interesting looking at the two descending pictures, Visconti looks to have taken a decent line, looks fast but in control, whereas the Androni guy looks like he's just trying not to crash (and only just succeeding).
    It’s Rubiano, a Colombian descending, so perhaps not totally unsurprising.

Looks like he might be trying to keep his upper body at a lesser slant angle, which is a fair enough cornering technique, but he might also have a few things wrong posturewise – outer leg not straight, outer arm perhaps too loose, upper body maybe bit high, shoulders bit twisted.
    Also far too close to possible gravel at edge of road.

Yes probably entered corner too fast.

(not saying I’m any better, though – theory, practice, etc)