Giro stage 17 **SPOILER**

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Cav 1min down from the peloton
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    4 OPQS + Cav for the chase
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Has the breakaway been caught? If not then he might not get back on...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited May 2013
    If Cav gets back into the Nibali group, then who (other than the knackered OPQS riders) will chase Visconti down knowing that Cav will beat them in the sprint?

I reckon they're probably done even if they do get back to the peloton.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Cav 1 minute down on bunch - not bad.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    could someone or people keep updating how many kms to go please? I need to know when I need to go the toilet to check my phone.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    Cav needs the points even if he is sprinting for second.
  • graeme_s-2
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Cav needs the points even if he is sprinting for second.
    Fair point.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    76 year old Danilo Hondo still in the pink jersey group.
  • danlikesbikes
    goonz wrote:
    Has the breakaway been caught? If not then he might not get back on...

just 1 rider up front now visconti (don't think there is anyone between him and the peloton)
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Looks like 10kms of flat to the finish.
  • danlikesbikes
    MrTapir wrote:
    could someone or people keep updating how many kms to go please? I need to know when I need to go the toilet to check my phone.

9.4kms currently
  • Pross
    Gap going out, it's not going to happen. Just hope Evans doesn't get any points.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Wonder if there is a small part of Cav that would trade in some of his speed for more strength/hill climbing ability?
  • Pross
    Messing about a bit which might help.
  • danlikesbikes
    Lots on hand waving & looking around in that chase group
  • Le Commentateur
    Cav's not going to take 6 or 7 seconds a km to close that gap, however many people he has working in the group.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Wonder if there is a small part of Cav that would trade in some of his speed for more strength/hill climbing ability?

He wins way more because of his speed than he loses because of his climbing, so I doubt it.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    johnboy183 wrote:
    He's been climbing well this week for a sprinter. I think people expecting him to survive a steep 4km climb just before the finish were unrealistic.
  • graeme_s-2
    FJS wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:
    He's been climbing well this week for a sprinter. I think people expecting him to survive a steep 4km climb just before the finish were unrealistic.
    I think it all depends on how fast they take the hill. Today they raced up it fairly quickly, and there was no shame for Cav in getting dropped given how small the group was at the summit.
  • Le Commentateur
    edited May 2013
    At this rate Visconti will just hang on... like Virenque did in Paris–Tours a decade ago.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Ah balls - I only looked properly at the route today during lunch. Hadn't noted that short sharp climb at the end. Cav was never going to make that was he. PTP points wasted there!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I thought Cadel or Uran would have attacked today, not many days left to challenge Nibali
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    They seem to be handing this to Visconti.
  • Le Commentateur
    edited May 2013
    Chasers have to take 7 seconds per km now. Not going to happen.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    The gap to Visconti is holding, so lots of messing around by the peleton.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Can Movistar win 3 stages in a row? :shock:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I thought Cadel or Uran would have attacked today, not many days left to challenge Nibali

On a pan flat stage with a smallish lump at the end?!
  • danlikesbikes
    rickyrider wrote:
    Ah balls - I only looked properly at the route today during lunch. Hadn't noted that short sharp climb at the end. Cav was never going to make that was he. PTP points wasted there!

Was hoping Cadel would but perhaps a little to long from the top to the finish for him to stay ahead of Nib's