Giro stage 17 **SPOILER**

danlikesbikes
danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Today's stage looks like one for the sprinters & who would guess against "sponsored by walkers crisps" to loose, that is of he gets over the last little bump, though he did OK the other day. However the Cat 4 climb today is 5.3K's long with an average of 8.1% & a max of 12% so could be tougher if someone puts the pressure on towards the end.

Steephills review - http://c-cycling.blogspot.cz/2013/05/gi ... rites.html

Caravaggio to Vicenza 214 km.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Still think Cav will take it. Im more worried about tomorrows stae. Looks a corker!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    strada.JPG
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    goonz wrote:
    Still think Cav will take it. Im more worried about tomorrows stae. Looks a corker!

4km of 8%? And some 12%? He could manage but it will be an ask

Tomorrow is the mountain TT. no?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • goonz
    iainf72 wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Yes, in my excitement didnt realise it was a TT...stages 18,19 and 20 looking pretty good imo
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    goonz wrote:

Yes, in my excitement didnt realise it was a TT...stages 18,19 and 20 looking pretty good imo

19 and 20 seem unlikely to end up looking like they look now.

-15c might scupper things
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I've gone for Cav, which is risky but I think the GC guys at least will have a rest with the mountain TT tomorrow.

Interesting that as of yet I don't think anybody has picked Goss, all have gone for Cavendish or more attacking types.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    iainf72 wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Think we might see some riders going for it hoping that the GC consenters stay together & trying for the stage win, but who knows.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    I think if Cav wins today and on the final day then he will take red. Anything else and Cadel will take it - he appears to be riding for it.
  • inkyfingers
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I think if Cav wins today and on the final day then he will take red. Anything else and Cadel will take it - he appears to be riding for it.

Ironically, the weather could scupper Cadel's chances of taking red. He's well placed though, especially if he realises that he has no chance of making up the ground on Nibali and focusses on points instead. He's likely to finish in the top 5 in the mountain TT, that and a couple more good places could seal it. A lot will depend on today, if Cav can't make it over that final climb in the same group as Evans and Evans gets a good placing then it could be his to lose.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • goonz
    I've gone for Cav, which is risky but I think the GC guys at least will have a rest with the mountain TT tomorrow.

Interesting that as of yet I don't think anybody has picked Goss, all have gone for Cavendish or more attacking types.

Goss has to be the biggest underachiever in sprints...
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    He's likely to finish in the top 5 in the mountain TT, that and a couple more good places could seal it.
    Are there points awarded for the TT? Doesn't seem "right" somehow...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Hasn't Goss gone home?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563

I think, at the moment, Goss both climbs and sprints worse than Cavendishm so I can't conceive of a circumstance when he would win.
  • danlikesbikes
    At the sign in
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I thought Cav had no chance on Stage 13, and got schooled. Not making that mistake again. He's shown a few times that when in with a sniff of a big prize he can climb OK. OTOH his team will probably have a torrid day chasing everything down.

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_13.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • danlikesbikes
    Cadel @ sign on
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    goonz wrote:

Only 'cos Farrar isn't there.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • danlikesbikes
    Another one out

RSLT ‏@RSLT 1m
    Unfortunately @HaydenRoulston will not take the start today in the #giro due to respiratory problems. Thanks, Hayden, for a great job done!
  • inkyfingers
    goonz wrote:

Farrar seems to be heading in the right direction again, getting in amongst it and getting a win in California. I read recently that he suffered a lot mentally after Weylandt's death.

Goss seems to be missing something, everyone used to say he could win stages which were too hilly for Cavendish, but now he seems to be getting dropped before Cavendish.
  • goonz
    goonz wrote:

Hold on a minute, didnt Farrar win a stage in the TOC?
  • danlikesbikes
    goonz wrote:

Plus whilst the bunch got jumped by Uncle Jen's he out-sprinted Sagan for 2nd place too
  • goonz
    goonz wrote:

Plus whilst the bunch got jumped by Uncle Jen's he out-sprinted Sagan for 2nd place too

Dont think even the commentators could believe it... :mrgreen:
  • goonz
    goonz wrote:

Good ol Jens rolling back the years and making a final push to fill his pensions pot. He had a pretty decent TOC.
  • danlikesbikes
    goonz wrote:

Dont think even the commentators could believe it... :mrgreen:

TBF didn't watch to much of the racing but did enjoy that stage, good to see him back too as like/dislike him whatever your preference think we need a bit of competition for sprints especially in the GT types of events.
  • danlikesbikes
    Nibs posing for photo's this morning
  • danlikesbikes
    goonz wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Good ol Jens rolling back the years and making a final push to fill his pensions pot. He had a pretty decent TOC.

Yep he did indeed, just in case you can't get enough of him I though I'd post this for you worth a play on to keep you smiling;

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/
  • danlikesbikes
    edited May 2013
    The peloton ready for the off this morning
  • goonz
    goonz wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Yep he did indeed, just in case you can't get enough of him I though I'd post this for you worth a play on to keep you smiling;

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Bookmarked for home! :mrgreen:
  • goonz
    The peloton read for the off this morning

I so wish I could be a part of this even just once...
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Goss has been underachieving because he has been sick.