Dozy mare!

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Contacted by the Mail last night, Miss Way refused to comment. However a friend said she had been suspended from work at accountants Larking Gowen.

The friend claimed:

‘She stopped, but the other guy didn’t stop. She looked in the mirror and he was gone. It’s absolutely ridiculous. There was nobody marshalling the cyclists and they were going really fast.
    ‘She is a village girl who knows every pothole on every road round here. She made a stupid remark on Twitter but it’s all got out of hand.

:lol::lol::lol:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    To be fair she isn't saying that she just run over a cyclist and least so know she can't as it's illegal.

Not sure what to make of Miss Way's friend's comment. If true she did stop. I guess there were a few cyclists on the ride that day so must be witnesses to say if she stopped or not. Saying that the original tweet said she had knock the cyclist off, so how could she looked in the mirror and seen he was gone then..... I wonder if the "friend" is a solictor
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    As the original story said he took a dive into the bushes he's bound to have been "gone" IF she stopped!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    willy b wrote:
    :? People don't learn do they...
    idiot2_zpsd71885d0.jpg

Yeah this is just what's known as jumping on the bandwagon/trolling...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    willy b wrote:
    :? People don't learn do they...
    idiot2_zpsd71885d0.jpg

Yeah this is just what's known as jumping on the bandwagon/trolling...
    Judging by the re-tweets, I think she's going to have a very, very bad day. So will the University of Gloucestershire, who are teaching her to teach. Maybe she'll learn a more important life lesson from this than all of her Uni time.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I think she will indeed Rob.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Does anyone actually know what happened? This lynch mob attitude is very distasteful.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This
    Cyclist account
    I managed to keep control of the bike; the back brake had locked on but I managed to rejoin the road and stop in the middle of it"

Does not equate to this:
    Mate's account
    ‘She stopped, but the other guy didn’t stop. She looked in the mirror and he was gone.

[There are many positions behind the car the cyclist could have ended up that isn't visible in the mirrors. I would need legal confirmation, but my interpretation of stopping is to stop the car, turn the engine off, hazard lights on, get out and physically look for the person the car has collided with]

Now the frustrated Lawyer in me (Greg gimme a job FFS) would immediately question whether the driver had anyone in the car with her, if there was someone in the car (and assuming she didn't do the following) why didn't they insist that she stop, get out and (i) look for the cyclist (ii) check the car? If there wasn't anyone in the car with her then the above account is pure speculation or at best an extension of Emma Way's version of the events - born from the supposed closeness of the friend, again speculation - this time on my part.

Truth is we don't know how it happened or explicitly what happened. What we do know is that from the driver's own admission her car collided with a cyclist . The severity of the collision, one would expect, should determine the punishment. If the requirement when hitting something is to exit the vehicle then there needs to be punishment. If stopping the car and looking in your mirrors is enough - then... perhaps the law needs changing.

Then there is the other matter of her attitude as a driver - what with the pictures she has been taken whilst behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. This I would expect should contribute to the severity of her legal punishment.

However, in the interest of balance, reading the cyclists account I am not sure how he managed to travel 20m through a hedge, stay ontop of his bike and stop it in the middle of the road. Unless he meant bounce against the hedge for 20m and then steer the bike back towards the middle of the road where he stopped - but, again, that would be speculation.
    .Cyclist account:
    I bounced back off the car and went through a hedge for about 20 metres. I managed to keep control of the bike; the back brake had locked on but I managed to rejoin the road and stop in the middle of it"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This
    Cyclist account
    I managed to keep control of the bike; the back brake had locked on but I managed to rejoin the road and stop in the middle of it"

Does not equate to this:
    Mate's account
    ‘She stopped, but the other guy didn’t stop. She looked in the mirror and he was gone.

[There are many positions behind the car the cyclist could have ended up that isn't visible in the mirrors. I would need legal confirmation, but my interpretation of stopping is to stop the car, turn the engine off, hazard lights on, get out and physically look for the person the car has collided with]

Now the frustrated Lawyer in me (Greg gimme a job FFS) would immediately question whether the driver had anyone in the car with her, if there was someone in the car (and assuming she didn't do the following) why didn't they insist that she stop, get out and (i) look for the cyclist (ii) check the car? If there wasn't anyone in the car with her then the above account is pure speculation or at best an extension of Emma Way's version of the events - born from the supposed closeness of the friend, again speculation - this time on my part.

Truth is we don't know how it happened or explicitly what happened. What we do know is that from the driver's own admission her car collided with a cyclist . The severity of the collision, one would expect, should determine the punishment. If the requirement when hitting something is to exit the vehicle then there needs to be punishment. If stopping the car and looking in your mirrors is enough - then... perhaps the law needs changing.

Then there is the other matter of her attitude as a driver - what with the pictures she has been taken whilst behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. This I would expect should contribute to the severity of her legal punishment.

However, in the interest of balance, reading the cyclists account I am not sure how he managed to travel 20m through a hedge, stay ontop of his bike and stop it in the middle of the road. Unless he meant bounce against the hedge for 20m and then steer the bike back towards the middle of the road where he stopped - but, again, that would be speculation.
    .Cyclist account:
    I bounced back off the car and went through a hedge for about 20 metres. I managed to keep control of the bike; the back brake had locked on but I managed to rejoin the road and stop in the middle of it"
    From initial accounts it sounded like there were witnesses, there was reference to other cyclists around who were also taking part in the sportive, so it should be easy to get independent accounts...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    This is a pretty interesting social media event. And its fascinating to see what happens when people don't understand what "Public" really means, and broadcast controversial opinions. Opinions that previously would usually only be shared with people who either agreed or who wouldn't bother with disapproval. This is quite similar to the kind of throwaway comment about cyclists (or any other convenient out-group) you often hear in the pub or other social situations.

In this case the comment was referring to a potential criminal act, and the disapproving audience is huge. I think its a shame that people potentially have their lives ruined by strangers on the internet for an unguarded comment. But on the other hand its a good thing that the overall take home message from all this is that what she did was not "OK".

It would be a sad state of affairs if there wasn't this reaction to her tweet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Given the tone of her tweet, I think it vanishingly unlikley she stopped, however the requirement is to do more than stop, it is to stop and exchange details, that clearly involves more than stopping the car for a few seconds to see if the other party has stopped given that it was possible
    1/ The cyclist was invisible in the hedge
    2/ She travelled far enough round the corner while stopping to make it irrelevant that she merely stopped
    3/ Likewise the cyclist going the other way.

Reports on the impact seem contrary, one has him falling off, the other staying on, if he truly went up the windscreen he didn't stay on!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    So looks like Gloucester Uni are addressing Becky:
    https://twitter.com/uniofglos

Like NSb I find this whole thing very interesting, but also amazing at what people say on a public outlet.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    edited May 2013
    willy b wrote:
    So looks like Gloucester Uni are addressing Becky:
    https://twitter.com/uniofglos
    I think they're reacting pretty well. They posted this little reminder: http://mashable.com/2012/09/04/students ... -warnings/
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I was unaware that it was a requirement to have marshalls to ride a bike on an open road.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I was unaware that it was a requirement to have marshalls to ride a bike on an open road.
    It was a sportive but they only have marshals at junctions, not bends.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Headhuunter

Just like it's a requirement that a man with a red flag should walk ahead of all motor traffic....
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    daviesee wrote:

And if you drive on the correct side of the road, you would think that, regardless of anyone telling you there may be oncoming traffic, you wouldn't have a problem.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:

And if you drive on the correct side of the road, you would think that, regardless of anyone telling you there may be oncoming traffic, you wouldn't have a problem.
    Something must be lost in translation as we are both stating the obvious. :wink:
  • sketchley
    Has any actually said if the cyclist and / or the driver were on the correct side of the road or not? Was it a single track road?
    --
    Chris

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Sketchley wrote:
    Has any actually said if the cyclist and / or the driver were on the correct side of the road or not? Was it a single track road?

Yes.

Very early on
    He said: “”A car came tearing round the blind corner and narrowly missed a cyclist in front of me. She came on to my side of the road, I took the wing mirror off and I went flying off my bike into a hedge.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A few posts back DDD wondered what constituted stopping after a collision.
    Legally, I don't know, but I'll tell you a little story about something that happened to me many moons ago:

I was driving through Wood Green (an busy urban shopping area) and a dog ran out into the path of my car from between stationary traffic on the other side of the road. I was doing about 20 mph and had no chance to stop in time but performed an emergency stop after the dog and my car collided.

I stopped (holding up traffic behind me), hazard lights on, got out of my car and went to the front of my car to see what condition the dog was in. There was no sign of the dog and no pedestrians saw where it went. My registration plate was cracked from the impact and there was a bit of dog hair (I presume, I didn't DNA test it) stuck in the crack.
    I looked under the car and around the immediate area but the dog had disappeared.

If I could do that for a dog (and I don't like dogs) how can the dozy mare not do that for another human being?

I wonder what will happen to her? I suspect the police will give her a slap on the wrist (points and/or awareness course and a fine) and her employer won't do much unless she has to drive for a living (which I don't think she does).

Once this hoo-haa blows over, I bet she will still hold the same attitude (despite the awareness course) and will have enjoyed the noteriety.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    I think the cyclists account said something along the lines of it being a narrow road and she was going too fast to make the corner. Didn't specify wether it was single track or not. I'm going to make a bit of an assumption from reading between the lines and say it wasn't single track and she ran wide thus collecting the cyclist. The description of the cyclist going over the bonnet sounds a bit odd, again reading between the lines I would say she hit him with the right hand front corner and as a combination of him turning and her pushing him the other way he wound up riding up the top edge of the wing and the A pillar of the windscreen, clouting the wing mirror as he went. If he'd gone straight over the bonnet in the classic sense he wouldn't have been able to stay on the bike.
    As I said this is all assumption as a result of reading between the lines and applying a bit of what passes for logical thinking in my mind so may not be even remotely true.
  • daviesee
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ...I wonder what will happen to her? I suspect the police will give her a slap on the wrist (points and/or awareness course and a fine) and her employer won't do much unless she has to drive for a living (which I don't think she does)...
    I wouldn't hold up too much hope.
    This guy - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-22397918
    has killed 2 cyclists.
    He got 2 years jail time for the first one.
    Got out and had another go....
    He only got 300 hours community & 5 year ban for the second.

If anything ever justified a WTF? Then it is this. :shock: :evil: :? :cry:
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm not into all this reading between the lines it precipitates the witch hunt...

The cyclist claims to have hit the wing mirror. Her twitter message did not indicate any damage to the wing mirror or any of the usual inconveniences that comes with hitting a wing mirror.

We need more information, details of what happened. Until then I think I've said all that I can reasonably say.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm not into all this reading between the lines it precipitates the witch hunt...

The cyclist claims to have hit the wing mirror. Her twitter message did not indicate any damage to the wing mirror or any of the usual inconveniences that comes with hitting a wing mirror.

We need more information, details of what happened. Until then I think I've said all that I can reasonably say.

Oh, I'll say it then:

"That's never stopped you before"

Is everyone happy now? :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Initially he said he'd hit the wing mirror, later I read an account in which he said he'd gone over the bonnet and windscreen which sounded rather more dramatic. Hence reading between the lines I suspect he didn't go over the middle of the bonnet as the second account implied but kind of rode up the side of the car. I don't have time to find the second account at the moment sorry, read loads about this and can't remember where I saw it. Makes me an unreliable witness for now, sorry.
  • sketchley
    If he went over the bonnet but still managed to end up stopped in the middle of the road on the bike, the bloke is hero.....
    --
    Chris

• DonDaddyD
    Sketchley wrote:
    If he went over the bonnet but still managed to end up stopped in the middle of the road on the bike, the bloke is hero.....
    I know, them Norfolk Ninja Cyclists, they be badass MuthaFuckas
    Food Chain number = 4

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Sketchley wrote:
    Maybe it was something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=VgB ... =endscreen
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Oh, I'll say it then:

"That's never stopped you before"

Is everyone happy now? :lol:

To be fair, he hasn't made any comment about what he can unreasonably say......... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......