Wiggins is actually ill

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    a lot of ballocks talked on this thread

not done any racing = crap form ??? utter tosh, if you can afford to not have to go to races that don't suit and don't provide training benefit, especially if you have proven racecraft and a well drilled squad then everyone would do the same

they thought he would hang in and recover but he didn't, tough call to make - although possibly uran should have had more protection... ? hindsight's good innit

I reckon the giro would be a good one to have a punt at, I can't see him being recovered for the tour, not with the rest required and then to rebuild the resultant drop in form
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    It's exactly now he can still recover for a Tour. If he either quits or softpedals in the rest of the stages, which is obviously unlikely, he'd be able to come fully prepared in July. Going 100 for the Giro would mean, despite a lot talk about a 'double', no chance of winning the Tour. It's not possible - unless you want to enter the 'Roche, Indurain and Patani'-club... If you get what I mean.

Wiggins should quit, recover and built on his form (let's be honest here, it was never 'better than ever'..) and do more races than he did before the Giro . Wiggins going for it in July means Mauna Michelle will erupt as well and I don't really want to miss that.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    ddraver wrote:
    edeverett wrote:
    "Difficult to know where he goes from here"

I'd like to see him focus on the Worlds TT.

Good crack at the classics maybe.....?
    Maybe take next week off to get started on the reading.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Stage 13 is the longest with some lumpy stuff at the end: if the weather is remotely as it was on stage 12, I can see him climbing off shortly after the day's break has formed or at about Piacenza at 60km ... Easy escape access to Milan or Turin. Alternatively, he'll have had a lovely restful nights sleep, feel much better, and decide that along with helping Rigo, he's going to try to take the Blue Cardigan off of Pirazzi.
    Talking of which, if he makes it to the Tour, he'll target the Polka Dots as well as doing his promised team-mate duties for Fenton. As the dreadful climber people keep putting him down as, I'm sure he'd enjoy that jersey to go with virtually every other colour available in the GTs that he's had. Not bad for a sh!t trackie from Kilburn...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He needs to bail before the mountains. Weather looks awful. He needs to recover. Send him and froome to the tour. What team wouldn't want two genuine GC contenders in. Best man wins.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Perhaps he needs to go back to whatever his preparation was last year.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Just do what Basso did in 05, and lose time to get in breaks in the mountains later on
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    aaaaaand...Hesjedal's out of the race...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    He was still in it? :shock: To be fair he's looked more likely to be ill than Wiggins, you don't suddenly get that bad.
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    After much BS floating around from Sky denying any illness, Wiggins now saying he is actually ill.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/illness ... ro-ditalia

This is not to be used as an excuse for not being in the Maglia Rosa.

And you always bang on about people having 'class'. Says it all really.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    He's withdrawn - Sky tweet

http://t.co/LF5cMlCtsO
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    No surprise.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    So he suffered yesterday. I suppose Marginal Gains and Big Money didnt help him from getting sick.

He can limit the losses in the stages to come then be fully fit in the final week. At that point he can show some legendary courage a la Contador and attack from a sizeable distance working his way well up towards the podium. This would make me respect him.

He could also suffer greatly in the next few days and get smoked on GC. At that point he could then go in some breakaway on a mountain stage. He could fight for the win, solo. That would be amazing. Very very rare you are going to see something like that with a GT GC top rider normally so this is a good opportunity.

Or he could fade into obscurity. Or just become one of the train.

At least it is now clear Sky made the bad call or Henao and Uran losing an unnecessary minute.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    GrenW wrote:

Oh well I suppose my post above was moments too soon...

Fail. Legends ride with broken collarbones and any sorts of issues.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    And Clenbuterol
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Not sure what your point is in the OP.

Sky BS? Should they have confirmed sickness earlier? Not confirmed it at all? Had him quietly put down.

Not an excuse? Who said it was? Is it not? If Contador had a chest infection and was still in the GC hunt it would be seen as a great thing, no?

If you are fed up with posters discussing Wiggins then starting a new thread seems odd.

yeah but hes not in the GC hunt is he :D
  • Vino'sGhost
    GrenW wrote:

in fairness they also ride with tons of chemical assistance too.......
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    GrenW wrote:

Didn't Contador skip the Ardennes classics because he had a cold?

Come on Frenchie, there's heroism and then there's stupidity. If he's getting dropped on a flat stage then it's pretty unlinkely he's going to recover enough to go on a successful solo mountain breakaway, he's not Floyd Landis :wink: . Better to admit defeat and focus on some new goals.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    GrenW wrote:

Don't be silly. I'm not a Wiggins fan but that's stupid. The guy is ill, he's got an infection and what's the general advise there? If its below your neck, rest.

I don't think he had the form coming in to the race, but that's beside the point.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • c_nichols
    c_nichols Posts: 27
    Now that wiggins has withdrawn from the Giro, do people think that this presents Sir Dave with a dilema in the run up to the TDF and the actual TDF.

Depending on the severity of the infection, Wiggins should have recovered it time to race the Criterium du Dauphine and if not then the Tour de Suisse. If he perfoms well, does this then re-ignite the TDF leadership battle?
  • Squirrelpie
    Squirrelpie Posts: 78
    Oh surprise surprise!
    Wiggo has been under conditioned all year, he recons the numbers are good but its a load of cobblers.
    He clearly wanted to defend the tour and has now abandoned the giro.
    There is no way he will ride for Froome as he has given up riding for Uran. His power at the end of the TT showed he was not ill that day, it just looks like he couldn't cope with the weather and his lack of condition meant he cant attack.
    He is going to cause upheaval and try get sky to let him defend the tour.
    Don't let him go!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    GrenW wrote:

Didn't Contador skip the Ardennes classics because he had a cold?
    oh-snap.jpg

(few less nuts for you Squirrel, you re starting to hallucinate)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Vino'sGhost
    Oh surprise surprise!
    Wiggo has been under conditioned all year, he recons the numbers are good but its a load of cobblers.
    He clearly wanted to defend the tour and has now abandoned the giro.
    There is no way he will ride for Froome as he has given up riding for Uran. His power at the end of the TT showed he was not ill that day, it just looks like he couldn't cope with the weather and his lack of condition meant he cant attack.
    He is going to cause upheaval and try get sky to let him defend the tour.
    Don't let him go!

From my sofa and never having spent any time with the bloke Id have to say he doesnt come accross as a team player anymore. perhaps thats part of being a team leader on that team but if it is it will be hard to make a quick switch to support mode.

Agreed, much unhappiness in the sky team to come. i hope Dave is a good juggler :)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Yeah, Frenchie's gone a troll too far this time.
    Madness to continue with an infection and the gawd awful conditions expected
    over the next few days.

Sky's potential to implode at Le Tour through internal strife, has been significantly increased, though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • It's a shame that people are missing the most important thing. This has really screwed my PTP chances.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    So he suffered yesterday. I suppose Marginal Gains and Big Money didnt help him from getting sick.

He can limit the losses in the stages to come then be fully fit in the final week. At that point he can show some legendary courage a la Contador and attack from a sizeable distance working his way well up towards the podium. This would make me respect him.

He could also suffer greatly in the next few days and get smoked on GC. At that point he could then go in some breakaway on a mountain stage. He could fight for the win, solo. That would be amazing. Very very rare you are going to see something like that with a GT GC top rider normally so this is a good opportunity.

Or he could fade into obscurity. Or just become one of the train.

At least it is now clear Sky made the bad call or Henao and Uran losing an unnecessary minute.

this is what I really hoped too!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    GrenW wrote:

You really are a tit.

Riding in the weather conditions predicted this weekend in the mountains with a lung infection would be suicidal.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    I do think the guy is ill. He has not looked himself from the start. This however could leave TS with nothing in the GTs this year if he does decide to ride the Tour. The disruption it could/would cause could back fire on them in my opinion.

However I was surprised how poorly a British rider was at riding in the rain, maybe he should have swapped his training camp from Tenerife to Tayside, I seem to ride in the rain almost everyday. I feel a little sideline coming on, kerrching! :wink:
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    It's a shame that people are missing the most important thing. This has really screwed my PTP chances.
    Agree. Gutted.

Still, discretion is the better part of valour and he lives to fight another day.
    Ecrasez l’infame