Giro Stage 10 - Spoiler thread

1181920212224»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    knedlicky wrote:
    Idly thinking (don't want this to get too serious...)

Can we think of many bigger, GT one hit wonders than Ryder Hesjedal?

Obvious one is Oscar Pereiro, but his tour "win" was really just down to a lucky break, whereas Hejedal was right up there the whole race.
    I can think of a number of riders who were in the limelight only once, and then not really ever again (like Jaskula, 3rd in one Tour de France) but the only not-yet-here-named GT winner I can think of, who might be considered a one-hit wonder is Ivan Gotti, one Giro GT.

He did manage a 5th place at a TdF too, though.

Not a one hit wonder but a one season wonder - Stephen Roche :wink:(I may have ignored a TdF 3rd place and a 9th in both the Giro and Tour)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    knedlicky wrote:

Obvious one is Oscar Pereiro, but his tour "win" was really just down to a lucky break, whereas Hejedal was right up there the whole race.
    I can think of a number of riders who were in the limelight only once, and then not really ever again (like Jaskula, 3rd in one Tour de France) but the only not-yet-here-named GT winner I can think of, who might be considered a one-hit wonder is Ivan Gotti, one Giro GT.

Gotti won the Giro twice, and is therefore ineligible for the award. Albeit he won after Pantani crashed in 1997 and was done for doping in 1999.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    PeteinSQ wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Fair enough, its the degree of it that surprises me... but the people getting things wrong that they see that 30 seconds later is proved wrong is just daft, its like crap commentary.

The crap commentary thing is something I blame Twitter for. Everyone wants to microblog everything.

Start reading the thread after the stage has ended?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    How about Sean Kelly? One GT win and one podium.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Ignore: wrong thread :oops:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    knedlicky wrote:
    Gotti won the Giro twice, and is therefore ineligible for the award. Albeit he won after Pantani crashed in 1997 and was done for doping in 1999.
    Okay - Eric Caritoux. Vuelta winner, by only 6 secs too (talk about Lemond!)

For years he always seemed to be in the French cycling press, maybe because twice national RR champion and always with GC placings about 20th in the TdF, also because apparently a very likeable character.

But he didn’t really win anything else.

(He now has a vineyard in the Vaucluse and his daughter, about 16 years, is into cycle racing)
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Has Ferdinand Bracke been mentioned yet? Trackie with one GC win overall, the Vuelta.

And the man who beat him in the 1968 Paris Nice, Rolf Wolfshohl, a cross rider.
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    As for Wiggins, for one of the two huge favourites, a person who was backing himself to do the double and rubbing his thin skinned colleague the wrong way, he has been shite.

Nothing against him, but I defo can't see him dragging Nibali back in the mountains, or even Evans we've seen so far.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The mountain team from Colombia:

8742096394_cd7de66d13_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:
    11 speed FAIL and cuddles does he always sound like he's just dropped a G or is there something else he wants to tell the world?

Brad has he's made up his mind to bin this GT and feck Froome over and try for the double tour win? I think he has.

O o o look at that I was sooooo right
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.