Giro Stage 9 - Spoiler thread

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Really enjoy those evocative GCN stage previews. Tuesday's long (~30kms), technical descent looks tasty. On the bright side, nice rest day weather for the lads. Good opportunity for Brad to test Rapha's new airbag.

BKJItanCYAAeXr4.jpg:large
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    bompington wrote:
    Anyone righting Hesjedal off knows little
    You're absolutely write ;-)

I'm still gunning for Ryder, it's far from finished yet, only 1/3 of the way through, although Nibi looks very strong it has to be said, he's really up for this
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If I was running Sky I would have Wiggins out doing tomorrow's descent a few times today.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    But you miss the point of pro sport spectacularly FF.
    The whole point is to win, otherwise just enter a sportive.

A team exists because it is sponsored. A sponsor exists because it thinks it can sell more through its exposure. A win is not the only or always the best way to get the desired exposure. Exposure is what sells products/services. There is also an emotional attachment to sport which wins can help but by no means exclusively create.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    "It is incomprehensible how Wiggins descends. I never saw it before and have never experienced that myself. I do not know why he suddenly descends so bad. He's ridden the past few days like a novice on the downhills. I think there is something wrong with his material, he has no confidence. He seems okay in terms of his physical condition and it is still too early to draw conclusions. Wiggins is right when he says that there are two more hellish weeks."
    -Merckx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Dorset Boy wrote:

A team exists because it is sponsored. A sponsor exists because it thinks it can sell more through its exposure. A win is not the only or always the best way to get the desired exposure. Exposure is what sells products/services. There is also an emotional attachment to sport which wins can help but by no means exclusively create.
    When cyclists are growing up they dream of winning big races not increasing the brand awareness of a laminate flooring or sheet metal company. The primary aim of the participants is to win. Contador's aim this season is to win the Tour de France not to see a 30% rise in new current accounts.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

When cyclists are growing up they dream of winning big races not increasing the brand awareness of a laminate flooring or sheet metal company. The primary aim of the participants is to win. Contador's aim this season is to win the Tour de France not to see a 30% rise in new current accounts.
    Nah, I reckon Wiggins wasn't that bothered by winning yellow last year. He got off on seeing so many more satellite dishes on peoples houses when he was out and about back home.
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

So what?

How do you think the smaller teams exist.

Or why fans like me watch the sport.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    "It is incomprehensible how Wiggins descends. I never saw it before and have never experienced that myself. I do not know why he suddenly descends so bad. He's ridden the past few days like a novice on the downhills. I think there is something wrong with his material, he has no confidence. He seems okay in terms of his physical condition and it is still too early to draw conclusions. Wiggins is right when he says that there are two more hellish weeks."
    -Merckx

Eddy forgets he had a veteran team mate assigned to him for just that purpose early in his Faema days. Even through his first Giro win.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    -Merckx

Eddy forgets he had a veteran team mate assigned to him for just that purpose early in his Faema days. Even through his first Giro win.

Eddy 'never tested positive' memory skills are tenuous at the best of times....
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

So what?

How do you think the smaller teams exist.

Or why fans like me watch the sport.
    Fair play to you mate. I agree it's a nice opportunity for younger or lesser known riders and I don't like favourites, and would much rather Evans or AN Other than Nibali, Wiggins or any team dominating this Giro. But a win a smaller team gets in a major race (be it a bunch sprint, a 250 km break or 50 km solo) pales any getting in the break comparisons. MTN could get in the break of every race this year, but they'd not trade it for a MSR win. They'd really not have near the same exposure without that win.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    greeny12 wrote:
    Having just watched Dan Lloyd's preview of tomorrow's stage
    Link please?
    here you go
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... G3pr_O342k
    Crikey - that 2km mid-climb farm track descent... if it's raining Game Over for Wiggo.
    Looks good for tomorrow!

Seeing the banks of snow on the side of the road up to Altopiano del Montasio (which I imagine won’t any longer be there tomorrow) reminds me that yesterday I read the Stelvio (stage 19 on 24 May) is still blocked by snow and heavy snowfalls are predicted there for the next 4 days. Also, apparently part of the road on the descent to Prato has sunken by 70 cm, so will need resurfacing between now and then.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Certainly seems to be plenty of Sky basing on twitter specially aimed at Brad today. Personally would prefer to see things like this
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    That tight and technical descent looks bad for Wiggins, the GCN video is very good, I'll have to try and catch some more of those.

Frenchfighter, although like you I like to see a brave win by an unknown rider it is OK to like Wiggins!

I hope he comes out swinging and gets his descending mojo back for tomorrow :-S
  • danlikesbikes
    Question - what if the rain comes tomorrow and Wiggins struggles on the first Cat 1 do sky keep the columbians up front & use the rest of the team to bring him back (like they did yesterday) and hope he can stay with the rest of the GC guys on the second Cat 1. Or if its dry (poss the same if its wet and he gets back on) and he is OK do you think he will try to take time out of Nibb's on the final climb using his explosive training. Doing something to build some confidence?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Really? How many riders entered the Giro with the primary aim of winning? I know most people on here have a reflex action to argue the exact opposite of whatever frenchfighter writes, and it works a lot of the time, but I think it's a bit off here. Most cyclists don't enter races to win, and there's value to be gained from races by other methods that don't involve winning. Why else would Jens Voigt and Johnny Hoogerland still have contracts?
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    file.php?id=6955
    "...Mark was quick to reassure Bradley that his lack of confidence descending wasn't effecting his general demeanour..."
  • danlikesbikes
    Just reading this review of the GC contenders after the first week of racing.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/05/ ... eek_286375
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Certainly seems to be plenty of Sky basing on twitter specially aimed at Brad today. Personally would prefer to see things like this

She is a little cutie pie. Hilarious how much she looks like her Dad as well :wink:
  • danlikesbikes

She is a little cutie pie. Hilarious how much she looks like her Dad as well :wink:

Is indeed following his stage win Peta tweeted this;
    Peta Todd ‏@petatodd 9 May
    DGC is waving at @MarkCavendish on TV, doing his interview!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    knedlicky wrote:
    Seeing the banks of snow on the side of the road up to Altopiano del Montasio (which I imagine won’t any longer be there tomorrow) reminds me that yesterday I read the Stelvio (stage 19 on 24 May) is still blocked by snow and heavy snowfalls are predicted there for the next 4 days. Also, apparently part of the road on the descent to Prato has sunken by 70 cm, so will need resurfacing between now and then.
    Snow also forecast for the final climb on Wednesday.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

I found this part interesting:

Wiggins already admitted he’s desperately missing the presence of Sean Yates, who abruptly quit Team Sky last year after guiding Wiggins to the yellow jersey.
  • danlikesbikes

Wiggins already admitted he’s desperately missing the presence of Sean Yates, who abruptly quit Team Sky last year after guiding Wiggins to the yellow jersey.

I liked the "what does he need to do" question with the answer of attack. Not sure the team can leave it till stage 18 and the uphill TT of 20.6K for him to make up all the time.
  • Richmond Racer

He made that comment at a presser at Catalunya, I think. I said last Oct that he and Sky would miss Yates, only for some people to bang on about DSs not making that much difference. They do when they know every race road in Europe, and have a calming and assuring influence on a character like Wiggins'. Froome and Porte seem fine with someone like Nico Portal on 1 week stage races, but this is a whole different ball game.
  • danlikesbikes

He made that comment at a presser at Catalunya, I think. I said last Oct that he and Sky would miss Yates, only for some people to bang on about DSs not making that much difference. They do when they know every race road in Europe, and have a calming and assuring influence on a character like Wiggins'. Froome and Porte seem fine with someone like Nico Portal on 1 week stage races, but this is a whole different ball game.

Yep wonder if any of the other changes @ Sky go hand in hand with this, like loosing a few marginal gains
  • Richmond Racer

Yep wonder if any of the other changes @ Sky go hand in hand with this, like loosing a few marginal gains

Difficult to tell at the moment across the broader picture. Lets face it, they've dominated most of the stage races to date this season. And the loss of Julich, for example, has done nothing to diminish either Froome or Porte who he coached - in fact, they both look stronger than ever.

But specific to Wiggins - yeah, very possibly. Yates, Shane Sutton concentrating 100% on the track instead of sharing track responsibilities with co-coaching him alongside Kerrison...both father figures to him, as well as everything else.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    have a calming and assuring influence on a character like Wiggins'.

I've been thinking he needs the opposite - Brailsford and Kerrison seem very cold, analytical. In the absence of Sutton/Yates, who is there to get Bradley fired up?

he needs a Rocky IV moment
  • Richmond Racer
    Crozza wrote:
    have a calming and assuring influence on a character like Wiggins'.

I've been thinking he needs the opposite - Brailsford and Kerrison seem very cold, analytical. In the absence of Sutton/Yates, who is there to get Bradley fired up?

he needs a Rocky IV moment

Yates was calming. Sutton delivered the kick up the ar$e, whilst at the same time making him believe he could do it.

And I absolutely agree with you re Surdave and Kerrison.
  • danlikesbikes

Difficult to tell at the moment across the broader picture. Lets face it, they've dominated most of the stage races to date this season. And the loss of Julich, for example, has done nothing to diminish either Froome or Porte who he coached - in fact, they both look stronger than ever.

But specific to Wiggins - yeah, very possibly. Yates, Shane Sutton concentrating 100% on the track instead of sharing track responsibilities with co-coaching him alongside Kerrison...both father figures to him, as well as everything else.

Guess if he has a bit of a loss of confidence & safe to say feeling the pressure of being current TDF winner, stating he wants to do the double by attempting it this year & the Giro too. Perhaps not missing them but needing someone like them right now to help smooth things over and look for the positives (of which there are been plenty so far for him in the Giro)

The real question I guess is what do they do now - I know its a rest day but they hardly get that much rest do they, out for a ride, plenty of interviews etc.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    this thread deserves its own 'rest day spoiler' title. Interesting read catching up after work...

Not quite sure if the sky team they have there will be good enough to support in the mountains (same for BMC too) and it will be interesting to see the GC guys in the high mountains i reckon they could be there alone for some long sections...