Giro Stage 9 - Spoiler thread

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Squaggles wrote:
    Why was Dave Millar riding on the front when Ryder was going out the back ?

When he first went to the front Ryder was there in the peloton & Millar was checking over his shoulder looking for Ryder who sat in behind him for a while.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    Yeah. Parcours or something! :shock:

Anyway, like Wiggins jacket...

BradleyWiggins1_2943508.jpg

For the purpose of aiding Quigley in spotting him...?
  • danlikesbikes
    Couple of pics from today
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • danlikesbikes
    ThomThom wrote:
    Ryder wasn't dropped at that point. But he must have had an idea of how poor he was feeling today so in that way it's a bit wierd.

Quite the day for Holy Dave. Managed to hack off his leader AND his sister, all in a few mins burst

Well the man himself had the following to say;
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 21m
    Finally in bed. I learnt three more things today that I have to share now as I won't care so much when I wake up!

1. I have 100% belief that Ryder is capable of doing incredible things the next two weeks.

David Millar ‏@millarmind 20m
    2. Wiggo has temporarily lost his descending mojo (has happened to me, happens to all pros), yet, he has an arsenal to compensate.

3. I can get angry when a journalist talks about their story rather than the story and upsets a good young man.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    That last pic is amazing dan - well played. :P
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • danlikesbikes
    Couple more of a deserved win & one of catching up on the news
  • danlikesbikes
    Few more from the days action
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    file.php?id=6944

3 Across - 'Lost Descending Mojo' - 7 letters - W, blank, blank G... :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The debate on descending and what makes a good or even outstanding descender is quite interesting. ….
    I'm not on twitter but maybe somebody could send a message to Declan Quigley on Tuesday and ask Kelly to talk about Vichot and what he thinks made him such a brilliant descender.
    Wasn’t Vichot as wild as brilliant, and somehow got away with it?
    "Reading the road" forms part of any advanced driving course …
    Back when I was racing, we used to go out to a particular hill that ended on a dead-end road in the middle of nowhere. We climbed this particular climb purely to allow ourselves the chance to descend it again because of its really nice sweeping bends. We would go up and down this hill three or four times, just for the fun of it. I guess our descending improved because we actually trained a little at it even if we only did it for fun.
    I think riding a descending route in the reverse direction can give you a real insight into how to handle it on the day.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    ThomThom wrote:
    I think Wiggo will still win.

He'll sort out the descending nerves and remember that he's probably the best climber (of the GC contenders) in the race. He could take a fair bit of time out of Nibs on the Galibier next Sunday.

I reckon he's been ill. Obviously sky deny this because if they admitted it, everyone would work to take a couple of mins out of him and end GC hopes. They're not going to burn those matches unless they KNOW it'll end him ie if he could still be OK, they wouldn't do it.

New Wiggo next week (hopefully!)

Never heard of an illness that solely attacks your ability to descend....

Vertigo? Inner ear infection? Not that I think either but they would probably affect descending whilst not stopping someone riding full on when on a straight, flat road :wink:
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I know this won't come as very good news to the Wiggins fans but I've just seen a synoptic chart of the European weather outlook for the week and it suggests the entire northern portion of Italy is going to be pretty wet from Wednesday until at least Saturday
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    It's also a completely different team.

No Porte, Froome, Rogers, EBH, Eisel or Cav. The experience of Rogers in particularly will be sorely missed.

You've also no longer got Yates' experience in the team car either.

I buy this explanation far more than 'the bumps are in a different place'.

Agree plus Wiggins isnt "on it" perhaps its physical perhaps its mental, perhaps its a bit of both either way eithers bad for the other.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    JV's instructions from the team car are done via Twitter nowadays.
    :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The Colombian rider behind chuckling at Betancur celebrating :lol:
    lol.jpg-large.jpeg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Few more from the days action

Is Evans wearing a Skinsuit?

if not that's the tightest jersey I've ever seen :shock:
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Quite the day for Holy Dave. Managed to hack off his leader AND his sister, all in a few mins burst

Finally in bed. I learnt three more things today that I have to share now as I won't care so much when I wake up!

1. I have 100% belief that Ryder is capable of doing incredible things the next two weeks.

2. Wiggo has temporarily lost his descending mojo (has happened to me, happens to all pros), yet, he has an arsenal to compensate.

3. I can get angry when a journalist talks about their story rather than the story and upsets a good young man.
    I didn't get to watch the stage, and have just read the last few pages of this thread to catch up. What did Millar do?
  • frenchfighter
    Graeme_S wrote:

I didn't get to watch the stage, and have just read the last few pages of this thread to catch up. What did Millar do?

Exhibiting an attitude of a proper Sky fanboy/girl or just one of those odd `Britian Forever` people.
    `Fran Millar ‏@franmillar 17h
    I would be much happier about this display of strength from @millarmind if @TeamSky were in this group. Come on Bradley`

GO MILLAR.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    He helped Astana drive the Nibali group when Wiggins got dropped. In fact it was when he was on the front that Wiggins looked in most trouble. That said he didn't do anything wrong as Wiggins was fairly dropped and Ryder was in the Nibali group.
  • frenchfighter
    Anyone righting Hesjedal off knows little. He is only down small and can easily make that back. If he regains his mountain form of last year, I wouldnt be surprised if he dropped most of the GC favourites.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    I've got a new conspiracy theory that I'm hoping will be internet fact by the end of the day:-

Remember the carpet tack incident in last year's Tour? That was Wiggins / Sky - they were worried that Nibs would gain time on the descent (it happened in either Romandie or the Dauphine from memory) and saw a chance where not only would they be able to neutralise a downhill attack but come out of it with kudos from other teams and the media.
  • Pross
    Anyone righting Hesjedal off knows little. He is only down small and can easily make that back. If he regains his mountain form of last year, I wouldnt be surprised if he dropped most of the GC favourites.

I thought his mountain form of last year was a case of hanging with the others and that he won it by being the best of them in the time trial. Then again my memory is useless so I could be wrong :?
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:

I thought his mountain form of last year was a case of hanging with the others and that he won it by being the best of them in the time trial. Then again my memory is useless so I could be wrong :?

Stage 14 and stage 19 he didn`t win but got time on all the other GC riders. The Stelvio stage he rode away from most (not all) of them. Then very high placings in the other stages that mattered.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Exhibiting an attitude of a proper Sky fanboy/girl or just one of those odd `Britian Forever` people.
    I would be much happier about this display of strength from @millarmind if @TeamSky were in this group. Come on Bradley`

GO MILLAR.

You do know that Fran Millar works for Sky and is David Millar's sister, yeah?

Does the tweet not make perfect sense in that context?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    From Velonews:

Katusha's Angel Vicioso crashed badly on stage 9 at #Giro, breaking three ribs, his wrist and scapula

The AD gods work in mysterious ways
  • frenchfighter

GO MILLAR.
    You do know that Fran Millar works for Sky and is David Millar's sister, yeah?

Yep.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    Just reading Sky's reports from the day to see if anything else is added. Appears they are saying was a good display by the team (which for GC it was) and putting down any gapping during the race to Wiggins descending in the wet not being {insert own word if you don't like mine} brilliant.

Team Sky;
    After the stage Danny Pate filled us in on an eventual day and explained how the team approached the chase after Wiggins became distanced.
    “It wasn’t super pleasant out there!” the American joked. “It wasn’t especially cold but it was definitely one of those medium stages that are challenging.
    “It was pretty fast from the start. A couple of different groups formed and then finally we got the breakaway. It was quite big and having one guy in there Garate who was only five minutes or so down, they never really let it go out very far. So the pace was pretty strong all day.
    “The two big climbs in the middle were pretty hard too and then when it came time to bridge the gap we just stayed together. Any time you have to do a chase not panicking is one of the most key things. We just tried to bring our group back to the main group and we managed it right on the third category climb. We had Rigo and Sergio ahead and everyone else was behind helping Brad. Then after he got back on that was it, I was pretty much blown!”

Sky Sports;
    Back in the pack, the 20km descent on now treacherous roads caused anxiety for all of the riders, but no one more so than Wiggins, who lost contact with the front of the bunch and then dropped over a minute behind by the 40km-to-go mark.
    With his two Colombian colleagues, Rigoberto Uran and Sergio Henao, staying at the head of the peloton, it took the Briton 15km to regain contact, thanks largely to the efforts of his remaining team-mates on the flat section that followed the downhill.
    Wiggins promptly took up station at the back of the bunch and stayed there all the way to Florence, having been unable to move up alongside Nibali and Evans on the two remaining climbs.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Pross wrote:
    He helped Astana drive the Nibali group when Wiggins got dropped. In fact it was when he was on the front that Wiggins looked in most trouble. That said he didn't do anything wrong as Wiggins was fairly dropped and Ryder was in the Nibali group.
    Sounds like a non-storm in a teacup to me ;)

I imagine Fran Millar was just torn seeing her brother riding well while her team leader is struggling.
  • danlikesbikes
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Sounds like a non-storm in a teacup to me ;)

I imagine Fran Millar was just torn seeing her brother riding well while her team leader is struggling.

Correct assumption.

If you get a chance to see him riding on the front was pretty impressive as he has appeared a little quite after his crash earlier in the week. But he was driving it hard for a while & then looking over his shoulder for Ryder, then a bit later did his duty of getting him near the front on sat in front of Ryder keeping him out of trouble. That is until Ryder blew up and just started to go backwards.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Stage 14 and stage 19 he didn`t win but got time on all the other GC riders. The Stelvio stage he rode away from most (not all) of them. Then very high placings in the other stages that mattered.

As much as I like Hesjedal, he didn't take the sort of time he now needs in last year's race. Suppose it really depends on why he lost time yesterday.
  • danlikesbikes

As much as I like Hesjedal, he didn't take the sort of time he now needs in last year's race. Suppose it really depends on why he lost time yesterday.

He gave an interview yesterday;
    “It was a tough day, again, one day after a tough time trial,” Hesjedal said. “We’ve been getting hit with these bad conditions, and I just had a few bad moments on those last two short climbs.

“I felt fine on the longer climbs. One the last long climb (the Cat. 1 Vallombrosa) Astana was riding a hard tempo, and you could see the havoc on the descent. Then it came down to a small group, and there was interest there for people to ride, but I couldn’t get any power out of my legs on the short climbs.”

Hesjedal attributed his difficulty to a combination of factors, including the cold, and what he referred to as “TT butt.”

“The day after a time trial, your glutes and piriformis are just destroyed,” he said. “It just kind of shuts down the lower part of your body.

“When the race is on like that, on those short climbs, with the last climb being downhill to finish, it’s not ideal to have a bad patch, and I just couldn’t get that raw power into my legs. I had to do my own tempo.