Giro Stage 9 - Spoiler thread

danlikesbikes
danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
edited May 2013 in Pro race
So after stage 8 and the ITT & stage 7 being full on entertainment & some surprises what do we have to look forward to in stage .

Its 170Kms from San Sepolcro to Firenze described quite rightly as hilly, with the weather reports of thunder storms & rain.

Plus found this video from Dan Lloyd doing a short video preview of this stage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Zh6m-UgMRw

Am expecting it to be another fun packed day if the last few days have been anything to go by. Plus its the last race day after 2 hard days before the rest day on Monday.

Edit: Forgot to add that this is a sort of rehearsal for the W/C course in Florence later this year with the last climb of the day being short at 2.9K but starting at 11% and an average of 5.9% could/might end up with an attack if the breakaway is brought back by the GC teams. The top of the climb is only 10Kms from the end of the race with it being quite technical into the finish and ending up with a 3% climb of circa 1700M's to the finish line.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    Thought I'd add the profile & details of that last kilometre which has plenty of left, rights & roundabouts which if the rain does come could make it quite tricky.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • HiCadence
    HiCadence Posts: 40
    From now until stage 18 Wiggo is going to need to find a way to take time out of nibali waiting for the tt would be a bad idea.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Still more rain forecast!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Did Nibali make a Faustian pact for bad weather or something?

If he or anyone else tries to put the bejaysus into Wiggins in this weather again today, and Wiggins goes into timid mode again, Sky just have to let Henao ride his own race today. Based on his ride at Pais Vasco on the stage Porte ended up winning, Henao has no problem descending in the rain - he was glued to Sanchez's wheel all the way down the final descent in that stage. Henao's 2'11 off Nibali.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    I really fear for Wiggo if he has to navigate many more sketchy wet descents during the course of the race. He has quite clearly lost his bottle and I guess it's a pretty hard thing to suddenly regain. Took me months to regain my bottle following mtb crash. This mental block will lose him the race for sure if he does have wet mountain stages. He'll lose minutes with Evans and Nibali pushing the pace.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I'm not sure which way they're descending down from Fiesole? I think they're coming straight down which is not so technical but if they're coming a different way those descents could be fun especially if it is wet, there are some sharpish corners, someone could feasibly attack here. I spent six months living in Fiesole so I know these roads. The final climb up to Piazzale Michelangelo could see some attacks if any break does not stay away. Great place for a finish. Don't know what all the tourist coaches are going to do though. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • danlikesbikes
    I'm not sure which way they're descending down from Fiesole? I think they're coming straight down which is not so technical but if they're coming a different way those descents could be fun especially if it is wet, there are some sharpish corners, someone could feasibly attack here. I spent six months living in Fiesole so I know these roads. The final climb up to Piazzale Michelangelo could see some attacks if any break does not stay away. Great place for a finish. Don't know what all the tourist coaches are going to do though. :D

I use http://www.steephill.tv/2013/giro-d-ita ... /stage-09/ which has an interactive map that you can zoom in and move your mouse over the course etc so quite good for seeing the roads etc
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    HiCadence wrote:
    From now until stage 18 Wiggo is going to need to find a way to take time out of nibali waiting for the tt would be a bad idea.

Maybe, and a long hill top finish like the Galibier, stage 15, might be both the time and place. Especially if he has got any sickness issues at the mo (not sure about that last bit).
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    RonB wrote:
    HiCadence wrote:

Maybe, and a long hill top finish like the Galibier, stage 15, might be both the time and place. Especially if he has got any sickness issues at the mo (not sure about that last bit).

Yes. Galibier is the most suited to Wiggins, as far as I can see. The Stelvio could see him do some damage, but it's halfway through the stage and he'll have to get down the other side as well...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • danlikesbikes
    Some pics from this morning before the riders get off the bus
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Back to stage 9...

Hesjedal to liven things up, or heavy legs from yesterday?
  • danlikesbikes
    Think he could have a go, then again you could say that of Evans too
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good preview:
    http://c-cycling.blogspot.cz/2013/05/gi ... rites.html

Anyone know if it is in Sky's Plan to rest the majority of their team so far this race? Have hardly seen anything of the team other than Uran, Henao and Siutsou. They are either going to be fresher come the big stages or just can't hack it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    A few more photos
  • danlikesbikes

If he or anyone else tries to put the bejaysus into Wiggins in this weather again today, and Wiggins goes into timid mode again, Sky just have to let Henao ride his own race today. Based on his ride at Pais Vasco on the stage Porte ended up winning, Henao has no problem descending in the rain - he was glued to Sanchez's wheel all the way down the final descent in that stage. Henao's 2'11 off Nibali.

Any theory as to whats going on? Is he just spooked by mechanicals and coming off, or as the rumour mill suggests not quite as fit and just riding it out, slightly unwell (we know he doesn't like to talk about that sort of thing), or just waiting for the second weeks and trying to put the hurt on later on in the race?
  • frenchfighter
    IMG-6908_2943158.jpg
    IMG-7090_2943143.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    Looks busy at the start today
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Any theory as to whats going on? Is he just spooked by mechanicals and coming off, or as the rumour mill suggests not quite as fit and just riding it out, slightly unwell (we know he doesn't like to talk about that sort of thing), or just waiting for the second weeks and trying to put the hurt on later on in the race?

Sky are refuting the sickness rumour that the ever-helpful Vaughters put about. But who knows. Personally I think he's been knocked back by all the bad luck, mechanicals and definitely that spill. Wiggins's confidence can be fragile. Because I like him, I hope he can take some cheer from that final climb, where he outdid everyone but Evans (Roger Hammond commented last night that it was the best he'd seen him climb in the last 2 years); and get through today with no more bad luck, and then have the rest day tomorrow to recompose and regroup.

There's a theory floating around that all the work on making him punchier might have taken a bit off his TT'ing (plus fact that he hasnt done any races this year with TTs). But certainly the very technical first sector didnt suit him, and the puncture did for him for a while, more than just the 15 secs or so, as it took him a while to get into his rhythm again.

On other topic, the RAI commentators reckon that the big GC guys will need/want to rest after Fri and yesterday, just get through safely to the rest day, and will let a break stay away today.
  • danlikesbikes

Sky are refuting the sickness rumour that the ever-helpful Vaughters put about. But who knows. Personally I think he's been knocked back by all the bad luck, mechanicals and definitely that spill. Wiggins's confidence can be fragile. Because I like him, I hope he can take some cheer from that final climb, where he outdid everyone but Evans (Roger Hammond commented last night that it was the best he'd seen him climb in the last 2 years); and get through today with no more bad luck, and then have the rest day tomorrow to recompose and regroup.

There's a theory floating around that all the work on making him punchier might have taken a bit off his TT'ing (plus fact that he hasnt done any races this year with TTs). But certainly the very technical first sector didnt suit him, and the puncture did for him for a while, more than just the 15 secs or so, as it took him a while to get into his rhythm again.

On other topic, the RAI commentators reckon that the big GC guys will need/want to rest after Fri and yesterday, just get through safely to the rest day, and will let a break stay away today.

Quite a few saying that the main GC guys will look for a relatively (not that there really can be any with such a profile) easy day, but if it comes back can see a few guys attacking over the last 2 climbs if it gets back together. Good point on the attacking sprint training guess he just hasn't looked too happy & having a few mechanical issues, some back luck/positioning probably hasn't helped either. Dream day if we could see some of his punchier attacking today in the last 2kms though!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Has anyone calculated the times for the 2nd split yesterday? That was Wiggins' part of the course to shine.
  • frenchfighter
    Chicchi DNS
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    Well surprise but a break has already gone away containing - Rosa, Bongiorno, Quintero, Caoecchi, Brambilla, Keukeleire, Marcato
  • frenchfighter
    Hmm, hope that gets pulled back and reformed. Don't fancy any of those. Want to see Rubiano in the mix.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    edited May 2013
    well the gap is going up but as expected Vini-Fantini are on the front trying to bring them back.

Edit: they did bring it back so all together again now, though expect another break to form shortly!
  • frenchfighter
    Niemiec is 9th on GC. He has been riding for 10 years. Amore-Vita, Miche for 6yrs and then Lampre since '11. Will be interested to see if he keeps this position up......
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    Another man out

Daniel Lloyd ‏@daniellloyd1 3m
    Martinez of Androni has retired from the race
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    More rain forecast for today, wonder if other favourites will attack, just to try and get rid of Wiggins.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    More rain forecast for today, wonder if other favourites will attack, just to try and get rid of Wiggins.

Can't see Nibbles attacking him today, unless the rain causes issues & Wiggo goes to safe mode. EVANS, HESJEDAL, SCARPONI or GESINK could all have a go though.
  • danlikesbikes
    New break with about 1'30 looks like its going to stick containing - Felline, Chalapud, Pirazzi, Garate, Pantano, Mestre, Visconti, Belkov, Golas, Proni, Petrov, Ludvgisson
  • frenchfighter
    Ah well, at least it has Visconti!
    Contador is the Greatest