Giro Stage 9 - Spoiler thread

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Islwyn wrote:
    Convincing myself Wiggins is playing poker. Actually he's fitter than all of them.

Perhaps that whats Wiggo is doing himself. Not really sure whats going on, unless he is sticking to the plan that is get through the first week and don't burn yourself out there?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Islwyn wrote:
    Convincing myself Wiggins is playing poker. Actually he's fitter than all of them.
    hows that going? :D
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Stage 9 Results
    RUS 1 BELKOV, Maxim (KATUSHA) 4:31:31
    COL 2 BETANCUR GOMEZ, Carlos Alberto (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 44
    COL 3 PANTANO, Jarlinson (COLOMBIA) + 46
    SWE 4 LUDVIGSSON, Tobias (ARGOS-SHIMANO) + 54
    AUS 5 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) + 1:03
    ESP 6 INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA, Benat (MOVISTAR TEAM)
    ITA 7 DI LUCA, Danilo (VINI FANTINI - SELLE ITALIA)
    ITA 8 SANTAMBROGIO, Mauro (VINI FANTINI - SELLE ITALIA)
    ITA 9 CARUSO, Damiano (CANNONDALE PRO CYCLING)
    ITA 10 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA PRO TEAM)

General Classification after Stage 9
    ITA 1 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA PRO TEAM) 34:19:31
    AUS 2 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) + 29
    NED 3 GESINK, Robert (BLANCO PRO CYCLING) + 1:15
    GBR 4 WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY PROCYCLING) + 1:16
    ITA 5 SCARPONI, Michele (LAMPRE-MERIDA) + 1:24
    COL 6 HENAO MONTOYA, Sergio Luis (SKY PROCYCLING) + 2:11
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Islwyn wrote:
    hows that going? :D

He made need a tablet or 10, for that.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Get David Duffield back alongside Kelly 8)
  • Vino'sGhost
    i think the irish guy is very good. at least he describes the race not last nights sausages :lol:
  • powerbookboy
    powerbookboy Posts: 241
    edited May 2013
    Well I think we can all agree that the first week has gone completely off plan for Sky. Most of us think Wiggins has had a nightmare and looked anything but a GC winner.But on the other hand, it looks like there are now only 4 contenders left. Nibs, Cuddles, Wiggins and Scarponi.

Of them, Nibali looks the outstanding rider. Scarponi is an outside bet, Cuddles is getting on a bit and Wiggins is basically only looking weak going downhill. Very few GTs are won downhill. If we took into account the shocking amount of time Mr Wiggins has lost due to inattention and nervous descending, he's obviously got some legs on him as he'd be at least 1 min up if he wasn't riding like Zuelle wearing an eye-patch.

At the start of the race I said I thought he looked a few pounds over race weight and wondered if he was expecting to race into peak form, with a view of doing the double. He still looks a little less ripped than 2011/2012, so bearing in mind there's some utterly evil climbs in the final week, being within striking distance of Nibali isn't a disaster.

I reckon he'll lose 30 seconds to bonifications, gain 1min on the mountain TT, so he needs to break Nibs for 1min to win. Certainly doable...
  • Gazzetta67
    i think the irish guy is very good. at least he describes the race not last nights sausages :lol:

That's what i meant....Would we really want "Its a bit black over the back of Bill's mothers" or Sack,cloths and ashes back :P
  • powerbookboy

I actually like to know what the regional food/history/colour is. I miss the raving old nutter a bit...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Well played, Belkov!
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I don't know from where Sean Kelly has got the idea that Betancur is a poor descender. He's not.
    I think some people have a rule-of-thumb that smaller riders/lightweights can't descend well. If you look who's been considered a good descender in the last decade or more, probably Pantani was the only small guy.
    But that doesn't mean the rule-of-thumb is right. And I would have thought Kelly knew better.
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    The weather forecast for weds/thurs onwards suggests more rain and thunderstorms.

Has anyone noticed that Brad can't ride in the wet before?

I seem to remember him coming 2nd in a prologue in the rain last year (Paris Nice?) despite most of the field riding in the dry.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I really hope Wiggins will come back and bite Evans, Nibali and the likes. How they did not take more advantage of this is baffling.
  • powerbookboy
    ThomThom wrote:
    I really hope Wiggins will come back and bite Evans, Nibali and the likes. How they did not take more advantage of this is baffling.

Didn't fancy stacking it? Nibs must have left some arse-skin on the road yesterday. Cuddles has lost a number of races due to gravity failures.
  • Gazzetta67
    ThomThom wrote:

Cant see him dropping Nibali on his form.....tho i did think that big Ryder Howsyerdoll looked strong 5 days ago :)
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Wiggins will be pleased to get that out of the way. Suffered again but didn't lose any time, in fact gained on Hejdesel. However 9 days in and he has played 8 "get out of jail" cards. Can't have many left.....

Day off tomorrow. He'll spend most of it praying for good weather for the rest of the tour.

As for the rest, Cadel Evans looks back to something near his best. Good to see. Nibs is in the chair. I think we are going to see Kazakstan Railways running a full service up the mountains. They will have looked at Sky last year, and thought "we can do that". Will be interesting if this is seen as "boring", or a "sound way to defend a lead and win a GT" by the Radaratti.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    knedlicky wrote:
    Well played, Belkov!
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I don't know from where Sean Kelly has got the idea that Betancur is a poor descender. He's not.
    I think some people have a rule-of-thumb that smaller riders/lightweights can't descend well. If you look who's been considered a good descender in the last decade or more, probably Pantani was the only small guy.
    But that doesn't mean the rule-of-thumb is right. And I would have thought Kelly knew better.

Not so much little person = poor descender as little person can't go as fast because of weight and so tend to lose some time on the descents when descending with heavier guys. Cunego is little and he's a good descender.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wasnt able to watch this stage but it sounded good. What I don't understand is that Wiggins sounded in big trouble but at the end of the stage he lost...nothing. Fail by the other GC contenders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    ThomThom wrote:
    Nibali only had Tangert with him (towards the end) so probably didn't want to take any chances.
  • RonB
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Will be interesting if this is seen as "boring", or a "sound way to defend a lead and win a GT" by the Radaratti.

Not necessarily mutually exclusive :wink:
  • above_the_cows
    Wasnt able to watch this stage but it sounded good. What I don't understand is that Wiggins sounded in big trouble but at the end of the stage he lost...nothing. Fail by the other GC contenders.

Not a fail, more a combination of they couldn't push it to extend the gap without risking crashing themselves and Wiggins riding hard to get back into the main group with about 5 of his team mates helping him.
  • powerbookboy
    knedlicky wrote:
    Well played, Belkov!
    DeadCalm wrote:

Not so much little person = poor descender as little person can't go as fast because of weight and so tend to lose some time on the descents when descending with heavier guys. Cunego is little and he's a good descender.

Simoni always looked pretty handy downhill - he was dinky. Cunego makes up for what he lacks vertically, horizontally -he's quite chunky. Contador always looks pretty handy downhill, but that may be because he gets illegal assistance from packing a pair of outsized balls...
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Has anyone noticed that Brad can't ride in the wet before?

Giro prologue 2010?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

That's what i meant....Would we really want "Its a bit black over the back of Bill's mothers" or Sack,cloths and ashes back :P

hahaha no but it seems others have forgotten the spectacular awfulness of the latter duffield period :)
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703

Not a fail, more a combination of they couldn't push it to extend the gap without risking crashing themselves and Wiggins riding hard to get back into the main group with about 5 of his team mates helping him.

Agree with FF. Definite fail. When Miller came to the front 30k(?) or so out, I felt that Astana had the opportunity to go full gas and lay some time into Wiggo. Not sure why they chose not to. I suspect they were following "Plan A", i.e. stage before rest day ride within themselves. Not able to take the on road decision to give it some when they realised that Wiggo was struggling again.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Anyone care to remember the 2010 Giro? Evans and Vino slugged it out in the first week and suffered badly in the end - Basso came back to win after losing something like 6 minutes. There's still a long way to go.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Well, they put time into the Garmin dude, so not a total fail.
  • RonB
    Quite!

From Podium Cafe - Vaughters 8:40am via Twitter for iPhone

"Well, on to plan B in the Giro. Rest on the rest day, then figure out how to liven up the race for the 2nd half."
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    Well played, Belkov!
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Simoni always looked pretty handy downhill - he was dinky. Cunego makes up for what he lacks vertically, horizontally -he's quite chunky. Contador always looks pretty handy downhill, but that may be because he gets illegal assistance from packing a pair of outsized balls...
    Yes, Simoni is a good example to disprove the rule-of-thumb, Cunego maybe moreso (he’s not really chunky, he only weighs 58 kg - although I understand how he suggests this, for a bloke he’s pretty wide-hipped, I think).
    I don’t consider Contador small, The others named here are all 1.70 m or shorter and he’s up towards 1.80 m if not quite that tall.

One trick is that smaller riders, having less body surface area creating air resistance to begin with, can also easier 'tuck' themselves in more, thus have yet less surface area. I do and on long sweeping descents can comfortably out-distance those with 15-20 kg more weight.
  • above_the_cows

Cunego is still pretty lightweight though, coming in at 58kg. Not the lightest but pretty light. Evans is another one. Former MTB'er surely helps. Obviously all pros have amazing bike handling abilities and a better than average sense of balance but I wonder if those great descenders, whatever their size are blessed with just an innate ability based on excellent balance and co-ordination? Of course these things can be improved through practice but some people just have really good skills in this area and some people (my husband for example, clumsy klutz extraordinaire) really bad ones.

Being slower on a descent because of a gravitational disadvantage is not the same as being a bad descender. For example having a gravitational disadvantage may mean you concentrate on improving your descending and to make up time lost through skill.

Basically I'm not sure there really is a rule. There may be an apparent correlation between size/weight and descending ability but that does not equate to causation. I think I posted on an earlier thread that we do not have perfect knowledge in this area because we never get to see half the peloton descend. We often see littler riders descending because climbers are often little and so we can say whether they are good or not. However, this does not mean that a small climber who is a poor descender is a poor descender because they are small. There could be a small rider in the grupetto (Cav say, OK not Cunego light but not a hulk either) who is an amazing descender but we don't get to see that.
  • Well I think we can all agree that the first week has gone completely off plan for Sky. Most of us think Wiggins has had a nightmare and looked anything but a GC winner.But on the other hand, it looks like there are now only 4 contenders left. Nibs, Cuddles, Wiggins and Scarponi.

Of them, Nibali looks the outstanding rider. Scarponi is an outside bet, Cuddles is getting on a bit and Wiggins is basically only looking weak going downhill. Very few GTs are won downhill. If we took into account the shocking amount of time Mr Wiggins has lost due to inattention and nervous descending, he's obviously got some legs on him as he'd be at least 1 min up if he wasn't riding like Zuelle wearing an eye-patch.

At the start of the race I said I thought he looked a few pounds over race weight and wondered if he was expecting to race into peak form, with a view of doing the double. He still looks a little less ripped than 2011/2012, so bearing in mind there's some utterly evil climbs in the final week, being within striking distance of Nibali isn't a disaster.

I reckon he'll lose 30 seconds to bonifications, gain 1min on the mountain TT, so he needs to break Nibs for 1min to win. Certainly doable...

Gesink?