Giro del Trentino *spoiler*

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    HOW SLOW LOL! Gotta love tactics :)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    SCARPONI sitting on the back looking like he is going to attack at any time
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • danlikesbikes
    SANTAROMITA takes it on the line, TIRALONGO tried winding the speed up to stop an attack from SCARPONI who was lurking at the rear and they both got mugged
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • junglist_matty

He must be gutted.... He screwed that one up!
  • danlikesbikes

He must be gutted.... He screwed that one up!

Yep he is quick in a sprint and think that TIRALONGO did the right thing in winding the speed up early though.

Just watching the slowmo replay and once the gap was there looked like it was over for him
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    I'll never understand why riders in the main bunch won't work to pull a break back but are happy to put in a flat out sprint for 8th place :roll:
  • danlikesbikes
    Pross wrote:
    Who is the onus on to chase here? Is the race leader still in the front group and if so do AG2R have the strength to chase (or do they think they haven't got a chance anyway?).

Yeah sorry was in the main group & think no one in the main bunch wanted to chase it down. ES coverage a little patchy in the last 10km's with no distance or time gaps being shown so sorry for missing the main GC guys in the bunch.
  • junglist_matty
    Pross wrote:
    I'll never understand why riders in the main bunch won't work to pull a break back but are happy to put in a flat out sprint for 8th place :roll:

It's because they're all credited with the same time ;)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Was not looking forward to Scarponi getting it so hooray for Santaromita getting that win - BMC add to their very small haul so far this season.
  • danlikesbikes
    Was not looking forward to Scarponi getting it so hooray for Santaromita getting that win - BMC add to their very small haul so far this season.

Looked really good for him as he still has a good kick if he can surprise riders when he jumps but just let the gap go a bit and then all too late. Pleased for BMC to take the win though
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Anyone got the GC standings after today? I can't find them.
  • junglist_matty
    Maxime Bouet (Ag2r La Mondiale) remains the GC leader, with Kanstantsin Siutsou (Sky) 3:19 back in second. Bradley Wiggins (Sky) is third (+3:48), Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) is fourth (+3:57), and Mauro Santambrogio (Vini Fantini-Selle Italia) is fifth (+4:06).
  • danlikesbikes
    Stage results;
    1. Ivan SANTAROMITA, BMC Racing, in 4:26:25
    2. Paolo TIRALONGO, Astana, at :00
    3. Michele SCARPONI, Lampre-Merida, at :00
    4. Stefano LOCATELLI, Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox, at :34
    5. Cayetano José SARMIENTO TUNARROSA, Cannondale, at :34
    6. Antonio PIEDRA PEREZ, Caja Rural, at :34
    7. Stefano PIRAZZI, Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox, at 1:12
    8. Enrico BATTAGLIN, Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox, at 1:23
    9. Emanuele SELLA, Androni Giocattoli, at 1:23
    10. Miguel Angel RUBIANO CHAVEZ, Androni Giocattoli, at 1:23

GC results;
    1. Maxime BOUET, Ag2r La Mondiale, in 13:23:36
    2. Kanstantsin SIUTSOU, Sky, at 3:19
    3. Bradley WIGGINS, Sky, at 3:48
    4. Vincenzo NIBALI, Astana, at 3:57
    5. Mauro SANTAMBROGIO, Vini Fantini-Selle Italia, at 4:06
    6. Fabio ARU, Astana, at 4:19
    7. Alexsandr DYACHENKO, Astana, at 4:20
    8. Stefano PIRAZZI, Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox, at 4:27
    9. Pierre ROLLAND, Europcar, at 4:49
    10. Przemyslaw NIEMIEC, Lampre-Merida, at 4:52
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nice to see Fabio Aru come 2nd on stage 2.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Going to be a good finish to this race with Bouet battling Nibs and Wiggins for the GC
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Going to be a good finish to this race with Bouet battling Nibs and Wiggins for the GC

Think Sky might be fighting for KS as a future "thank-you" for the work he will be doing at the Giro for Wiggo. Also the 30 seconds he has may be crucial.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Very true- they do like rewarding the super domestiques
  • danlikesbikes
    mr_poll wrote:
    Cogidubnus wrote:

Think Sky might be fighting for KS as a future "thank-you" for the work he will be doing at the Giro for Wiggo. Also the 30 seconds he has may be crucial.

With the time gaps would make sense I guess. Plus might take some of the pressure of Wiggo and allow him to go into attack mode whenever he wants as more for the other GC riders to loose out.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    managed to finally catch up with this last night, it's probably covered somewhere int he previous pages but I'm sure I had stage one to record on Eurosport and it never recorded (unless I'm going mad) drives me nuts when Eurosport are a few days behind, it gets spoilt every time I go on twitter/facebook by someone!
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Paul 8v wrote:
    it gets spoilt every time I go on twitter/facebook by someone!

Don't go onto twitter/facebook then...surely that's not too hard.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Paul 8v wrote:
    managed to finally catch up with this last night, it's probably covered somewhere int he previous pages but I'm sure I had stage one to record on Eurosport and it never recorded (unless I'm going mad) drives me nuts when Eurosport are a few days behind, it gets spoilt every time I go on twitter/facebook by someone!

They were going to show highlights of the first day (stage 1a or 1b, not sure which) on Wednesday but didn't because the coverage was so poor - maybe that's the one you missed.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Paul, if ES let you down with a particular stage, have a good ferret around youtube, torrents etc and someone will have whacked up clips ranging from last 10 mins to the full tv coverage. It may be with RAI, Sporza etc commentary - but that's often better than listening to Kirby banging on, anyway
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    I missed it y,day but CK said there was a race incident with Basso and Evans-anyone see what it was?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • junglist_matty
    It's a very difficult one to call...

If KS wants to win he has to stick with Wiggo who in turn has to finish with Nibi (just to keep Nibi's mental strength in check ready for the Giro). However, if Nibi decides to attack on a climb, Wiggo has to respond, if Nibi's attack is sustained, they risk dropping KS resulting in him being out of contention for GC.... Depending on how far back Bouet is at this point, if he's more than 3mins behind, Wiggo and Nibi will have to go for the GC themselves and battle it out between them. Does Wiggo then sit on Nibi's tail, keep his attacks in check and effectively let him win the GC. Or does Nibi have something special hidden that he wants to surprise Wiggo with, attack and manage to break Wiggo!?

Lots of options; seems it will be a very interesting race today, I'm looking forward to it!
  • junglist_matty
    nevman wrote:
    I missed it y,day but CK said there was a race incident with Basso and Evans-anyone see what it was?

It was just an argument of words; nothing happened.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Shame-could see the two of them getting handbags out.Had to laugh at ydays antics in the last 500m.Christmas came early for Santa and thorough reward for dragging the other two to the line for the last 20K.Justice win for once.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Today will probably consist of Wiggin's massive diesel engine depressing the life out of Nibs as he punches away time after time only to be relentlessly dragged back. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • danlikesbikes

If KS wants to win he has to stick with Wiggo who in turn has to finish with Nibi (just to keep Nibi's mental strength in check ready for the Giro). However, if Nibi decides to attack on a climb, Wiggo has to respond, if Nibi's attack is sustained, they risk dropping KS resulting in him being out of contention for GC.... Depending on how far back Bouet is at this point, if he's more than 3mins behind, Wiggo and Nibi will have to go for the GC themselves and battle it out between them. Does Wiggo then sit on Nibi's tail, keep his attacks in check and effectively let him win the GC. Or does Nibi have something special hidden that he wants to surprise Wiggo with, attack and manage to break Wiggo!?

Lots of options; seems it will be a very interesting race today, I'm looking forward to it!

Short answer is that if KS is dropped (hope not though) all Wiggo has to do is ride on the wheel of Nibs and make him work for it as still has 11 seconds in the bag on him.

Having said that from the profile todays stage looks like it could be very interesting indeed 11.5 km long with an average grade of 8%. The toughest part of the climb occurs with 3 km to go where it averages 11.5% for 1 km with a section of 20%
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Well the first thing they have to do is get rid of Bouet, which is easier said than done - so Sky and Astana may have to join forces for the first climb at least. After that I reckon Wiggins and Nibali will continue to try to psyche each other out leaving it to Siutsou and the other two Astanas to battle it out along with the unspellable bloke from Vini.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • junglist_matty
    4a-2013-altimetria.jpg

If Sky really want the GC, they will have to attack on the first of the two climbs (at 120km) and try to loose bouet; if they do this, Nibi will just sit in on their attack and make them do all the work, so long as they have a 2-3min gap (over Bouet) by the start of the final climb, the GC will be all down to the final climb.

Also remember that Bouet has lost his climbing team mate, so the final climb, if Bouet is not in a leading group, he will likely loose a lot of time on the final climb, unless he can tag along with another team.

On the final climb, KS has to stick with Nibili & Wiggo to get the GC, but Nibi may well choose to attack himself, if he does, Wiggo will keep him in check, then KS will probably be dropped and the final fight is down to Wiggo and Nibi.

However, Nibi may well be looking ahead to the bastogne liege so may not want to attack for the GC and let Sky go for it for KS, with his aim being to keep wiggo in check, that way, I don't really see that either has a mental advantage over the other going into the Giro; Nibi probably won't care about finishing a few seconds behind wiggo in the GC, as that time difference doesn't really prove anything and if anything gives Nibi the want to prove himself at the Giro.